RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Looking at a zoomed in but quite heavily pixilated picture of City of Truro, the boiler looks too wide, almost parallel and the smokebox door is all wrong. Its almost like a Fowler/Stanier rebuild. We shall soon see.

cheers

Shane

The model looks promising and should be worth £8.99. I have a stock of Kitmaster/Airfix bits so errors should be correctable. It would be nice if they didn't try to copy the fussy (and incorrect) double lining carried by the prototype in preservation and kept to the fifties style.

It would not be a problem to scale down a laser copied model from 7mm to 4mm. (They could even make it to EM or P4.)

Edited by Il Grifone

PS,

Looking at a number of shops in my area it is very clear that the Deltic has not sold very well - my regular supplier has over 20 still in stock.

This could well effect the continued stocking of the GBL series according to the Manager.

I'll hazard a guess - "it's not a steam engine".

From what I gathered when the supermarket where I work stocked the first four issues is that if it's steam and a "big name", Joe and Josephine Public will buy it. If they haven't heard of it or it's "visually unappealing" they won't. Mallard and Flying Scotsman sold out, Coronation and the 28XX didn't and the extras were returned to John Menzies.

Mike.

I think it comes down to the finish as well.

I spent a good ten minuets inspecting five of the Deltics in my local Asda to try and pick the best one (Note not a perfect one)!

All of them had different issues with them and the last four that I left was still on a week after.

The Deltics vanished from our local Asda quickly (Yours truly is guilty for one of them - one lower side is now the right colour, the other to do. sorting out the transfers will take some time).

I would agree that steam locos will sell whereas diesels won't. (My opinion is that Dublo's mania for diesels in the early sixties hastened their demise, at least in part.)

Woodhead electrics to copy - Trix or Tri-ang?

Edited by Il Grifone

I think it comes down to the finish as well.

I spent a good ten minuets inspecting five of the Deltics in my local Asda to try and pick the best one (Note not a perfect one)!

All of them had different issues with them and the last four that I left was still on a week after.

I know they're cheap, but is it so difficult to put transfers on at least reasonably straight? They are not alone (even Dublo suffers from this problem for example), but this range (especially the Deltic) is particularly poor. My Deltic is not too bad, but she does need new transfers as I don't think any of them have been applied correctly.

(The one on the magazine cover is OK....)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Given that's this series is not really aimed at serious railway modellers and the membership of RMWeb generally, there does seem to be a lot of critism about the quality of what is no more than a very cheaply produced product. Granted that the finish of the Deltic is poor but is it not beyond people here to make good the shortcomings of the paint finish? Unless you are just collecting them to put on the shelf as is that is, and want to keep them as mint examples to let the grand kids sell on in future years.

Is this not a forum for railway MODELLERS? Or are the skills being eroded by laziness and artificially high expectations? These models cost a fraction of the price of rtr locos yet people still find time to pick fault with them. Yes I know some have issues but they arnt meant to run around a layout. I think the design of them is very clever in some aspects, given what they are meant for, which is nothing more than shelf fillers.

Is it not beyond the skill of the average modeller to correct wonky transfers and repaint the silver bits without having to go chapter and verse about it?

Buy the models by all means but stop moaning about them once you have them. Get out the tools, take up the files and filler and go model! It's much more rewarding than wingeing. All for 8.99!

• Like 2

Given that's this series is not really aimed at serious railway modellers and the membership of RMWeb generally, there does seem to be a lot of critism about the quality . . .

. . . is it not beyond people here to make good the shortcomings of the paint finish? . .

. . .Is this not a forum for railway MODELLERS? Or are the skills being eroded by laziness and artificially high expectations? These models cost a fraction of the price of rtr locos yet people still find time to pick fault with them. Yes I know some have issues but they arnt meant to run around a layout. I think the design of them is very clever in some aspects, given what they are meant for, which is nothing more than shelf fillers.

Is it not beyond the skill of the average modeller to correct wonky transfers and repaint the silver bits . . .

. . .Get out the tools, take up the files and filler and go model! It's much more rewarding than wingeing. All for 8.99!

I've snipped a few bits here because I agree with the points made by Wolf27, I'm not prepared to mess up a loco that cost me three figures to buy, and I don't feel that I can make good the shortcomings on these models - but for £8.99 I'm willing to give it a go.

I will admit that my skills are being eroded through lack of practise, so to begin with I would be putting on wonky transfers, and painting everything silver :) but hopefully by the time the series has ran it's course, I'll be confident enough to put a Peak into Regional Railways livery.

I agree that the design of the models is very good, and I can see where the Production Designer has done the work.

So, with a fortnight's holiday imminent, I'm getting the tools and paints, and hoping for dry weather.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is this not a forum for railway MODELLERS?

What do you define as "Modellers"?

Someone who builds everything from scratch ?

Someone who buys all RTR ?

Or someone who does something in between ?

I would guess most would fall into the last category, but what they buy ready made and what they build themselves will vary on their skills.

Me? I buy mainly RTR stock, have built a few kits, done a bit of "Kit Bashing"

My painting skills are not too good (although I hope to improve that!) but I am perfectly capable of wiring up all the track for my fairly complicated multi-blocked DCC layout and (usually) getting all the frogs/crossings etc. connected correctly at the first attempt.

No doubt. from what I have seen, some can produce exquisite models but would be hopeless doing the wiring!

Keith

What do you define as "Modellers"?

Someone who builds everything from scratch ?

Someone who buys all RTR ?

Or someone who does something in between ?

Keith

All of the above Keith, the point I am trying to make is that its easier to winge on about the shortcomings of a cheap mass produced display model than to fix it up and make a good un out of it. There are those here that just get on with it without the fuss and those that will pick fault with everything and do nothing. That can be seen by the number of posts made by individuals. Granted there is a fair number of armchair modellers here but also an equal number of good modellers. You can spot them by there lack of posts, there the one doing the doing.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 3

All of the above Keith, the point I am trying to make is that its easier to winge on about the shortcomings of a cheap mass produced display model than to fix it up and make a good un out of it. There are those here that just get on with it without the fuss and those that will pick fault with everything and do nothing. That can be seen by the number of posts made by individuals. Granted there is a fair number of armchair modellers here but also an equal number of good modellers. You can spot them by there lack of posts, there the one doing the doing.

Cheers

Shane

You can always start up your own blog on this site with it titled:- The perfect world of modelling   :jester:

Given that's this series is not really aimed at serious railway modellers and the membership of RMWeb generally, there does seem to be a lot of critism about the quality of what is no more than a very cheaply produced product. Granted that the finish of the Deltic is poor but is it not beyond people here to make good the shortcomings of the paint finish? Unless you are just collecting them to put on the shelf as is that is, and want to keep them as mint examples to let the grand kids sell on in future years.

Is this not a forum for railway MODELLERS? Or are the skills being eroded by laziness and artificially high expectations? These models cost a fraction of the price of rtr locos yet people still find time to pick fault with them. Yes I know some have issues but they arnt meant to run around a layout. I think the design of them is very clever in some aspects, given what they are meant for, which is nothing more than shelf fillers.

Is it not beyond the skill of the average modeller to correct wonky transfers and repaint the silver bits without having to go chapter and verse about it?

Buy the models by all means but stop moaning about them once you have them. Get out the tools, take up the files and filler and go model! It's much more rewarding than wingeing. All for 8.99!

I agree with all your saying and it's a great opportunity for all to have a go at model bashing!

The only issues I have is in this day and age manufacturing has improved by large amounts on repeatability and consistency.

The variation we are getting is very rare? 

When you look at the hole picture it's not hard in the manufacturing to achieve consistency.

The comments I have been making are to help and support not to moan and groan.

Plus have fun! 

I'm loving it. It's re-started my interest in modelling.

I've got three in various stages of rebuild/repaint and several more on the shelf looking basically OK.

I've got one still in the packaging available for swapsies. (9F if anyone's interested).

I've found this forum and some very kind and friendly people.

I've spent a silly amount of money to work on some cheap locos where the nameplates have often been more expensive than the big steamy thing...

Now if someone could tell me where the end of that Dapol wagon has gone I'd be grateful. Starting to think it was never there  :scratchhead:

• Like 4

I don't mind constructive criticism of the models, weatheringman does great reviews. As someone who is more into diesels than steam I would not have been aware of some of the faults with the locos. Some of the faults I can live with others I can put right. 

I think these models are exceptional value, for £8.99 you get a fully painted locomotive. Compare that to an unbuilt, unpainted Dapol kit. You can't even buy a second hand locomotive body for this price. 

I think we have been spoiled by the standard of today's ready to run locomotives, the detail is exceptional. When I repainted and detailed my Deltic it took me back to the early 1990s when all we had was Hornby and lima and to get a detailed model you had to do a lot of work to the loco. All those moulded handrails lack of buffer beam details. But you know what I really enjoyed the modelling challenge. You don't get the same sense of satisfaction taking a model out of the box. It's like when you make home made soup you know you made it. There is no challenge opening a tin of Heinz soup.

The other great thing about these locos at such a bargain price is I finally got the courage to use my airbrush, it has been sitting unused in its box for two years. Would I have used it on a loco worth £100+? No chance I bought an extra 9f and set to work safe in the knowledge if I made a mess of it It would not matter. I've since used it on two deltics and my confidence with it is growing.

Finally like I said at the beginning I model diesels and electrics I would not normally spend a fortune on buying models of steam locos if I had bought Hornby models of the first 6 locos In this series for my display cabinet it would have set me back over £600 pounds as it is these set me back under £54 I'm really happy with them and have really enjoyed improving them. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Like 5

You can always start up your own blog on this site with it titled:- The perfect world of modelling   :jester:

No such thing as the perfect world in modelling, not even Hornby could achieve that!

I wouldn't waste my time with a blog. Don't see the point, it dilutes precious modelling time.

Cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 2

I quite agree with you Darrel,  like you, I have mainly purchased some of the GBL loco's for practicing detailing and weathering skills on, also I have an airbrush which has been in the box for three years..........Still at least I will have some projects to work on over the winter.

....You don't get the same sense of satisfaction taking a model out of the box. .....

No, but loads of people feel smug at having acquired the model. It's almost more about the purchase and possession rather than the model itself.

....There is no challenge opening a tin of Heinz soup....

...unless you're incompetent at handling a tin opener. At which point the Heinz soup gets flogged on eBay.

Hi,

Just to have this matter looked at correctly.

The problems that are appearing on the GBL releases - especially the Deltic - are due to several factors that are a consequence of the cost cutting nature of the production :

The models are being produced in a factory that does not otherwise produce model railways.

The operatives making and finishing the models are not in any way familiar with the subject - steam or diesel.

The models are produced on a line that is staffed by many different people with the expected variation creeping in.

The overall production standards are low due to the above and the speed of production to meet publishing deadlines.

The assembly is, to put it politely, somewhat less than meticulous - hence models in shops with bits missing.

The low cost nature of the production results in very little quality control - this is exacerbated by lack of knowledge of the subject.

Whilst its true that modern production methods should allow a more consistent result the above will derail (pun intended) any efforts in that direction.

However lets be grateful for what we are getting - whilst missing bits are of course a problem a poor finish is easily repainted or even easier disguised with a bit of weathering is it not.

And once again - for the money the GBL models are offering so much to our hobby in enabling good modellers to add to their skills with little to loose - long may it continue. 

Regards All

I totally agree sir.

Do you perchance happen to know where above described production facility is located? I'm not asking for Google earth coordinates, just an indication of continent or country!

Hi,

With all respect I don't think the location of the production facilities is that relevant to us as modellers - the product is what it is no matter where it is made.

However I will pass on what I believe to be the case from information I hold.

My understanding is that the initial design work (using another manufacturers product) is done in Poland by a company not normally engaged in model railway production and following the publishers brief as to costs.

My understanding is that the actual toolmaking and moulding is done in a country in the former Soviet block - again by a company not previously engaged in model railway production but with experience of plastic model making for other part works.

I must stress that I have no reason to doubt this information but I have not checked it out personally so can only pass it on as my understanding from what I've been informed.

Hope this is of some interest although I can't be totally sure of its accuracy.

Regards

Thank you for that information. It is fascinating (to me anyway) to learn how and where all these diverse goods are developed and produced.

Given what is going on in a certain former Soviet block country currently, it is unsurprising that a worker's application of decals and paint may be a little shaky at times.

I would just like to add that I have read Weathering Man's reviews of the models I wish to purchase and this has helped me to decide whether to purchase an item or not. Keep up the good work - we are all active modellers but some admit to having less skill and experience than others.

• Like 1

They certainly are helpful, as they haven't arrived here yet (although I did snag 5 of issue 1 due to a cousin who came out here while they were on sale). It gives me a chance to read over the quality of the models and take a look at them, then plan out which ones I want to obtain.