Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Very useful pictures, and much appreciated.

"Near enough" as a model of a diesel for my parochial way of looking at things. I can't bring myself to look at them for long enough to spot small errors anyway, but a cheap Deltic just about deserves a place in my collection. I think some very patient, gentle, fine abrasion would remove the most obvious areas of overspray.....

• RMweb Premium

I've seen a lot worse for much much more money so I shall flash the armarda of money off vouchers that WHSmiths keep giving me and pick up a couple.

Those pictures (for which much thanks) seem to show what I was complaining about with my A4,  28xx and to an extent V. The actual moulding is one thing, probably not too bad, but the finish is deplorable. 

Assembled by people who have no idea/experience (smokebox doors at 90º to correct) and assorted bits missed off or badly fitted. Paint similar - if these are sprayed in cradles then either the masks are badly made or the operator isn't bothering to set them properly. And the amount of muck in the paint is even worse than I get in my shed...

I'm going to keep the Deltic and repaint it as Tulyar - as a memory of a lovely day out to Kings Cross with #2. Just as a shelf dust collector. But it looks pretty awful as is.

Post Office did the silent delivery thing a few minutes ago, so mine is at the depot awaiting collection, as is the 9F.

Anyone got anything they want to swap for a 9F? Oh, nothing Southern apart from the Schools so far... I'll wait for a T9!

the Bachmann model has never quite caught the proper look of the real thing - its somewhat difficult to pin down just what is wrong except to say that overall the shape of the nose just dosnt look right and regretably, but predictably, this same error has passed to the GBL model.

I picked up the latest GBL magazine from my local Asda in Edinburgh, there were 3 available this morning.

The problem with the nose is that it should taper vertically inwards from about half way down to the bottom, and it is dead straight on the GBL and Bachmann models.

The difference is especially apparent either side of the buffers, when comparing the model against the real photo of 55015 on page 11 of the accompanying magazine.

After an hour of cutting and drilling I've managed to get an old Lima 37 motor and unpowered bogie in the GBL Deltic chassis. Still needs guides on either side of the motor bogie to hold it in place and a fixing between chassis and body, as I cut a bit too much off the chassis off (!), but it looks like this is going to be a simple enough method of motorising the GBL loco. The Lima 37 steps are obviously wrong but otherwise the effect is not bad.

I agree with the comments already posted that the finish is the worst of the entire GBL range so far, which is a real pity. If they'd done a blue Deltic the finish would probably have been more acceptable.

The colour of the lower band is completely wrong, (agree/disagree with previous posts as applicable), and should be much more green. It is nearly the same colour as the yellow warning panel. Maybe this colour varies on some of the distributed batches???

My strategy is going to be to view further batches and see if the quality of finish gets any better in the next two weeks before deciding whether to buy any more.

• RMweb Premium

I have obtained a Deltic from my local Asda's. I must be lucky as there is no overspray of the white paint around the windows and the totems and numbers line up. However the light green band is more yellow than it should be and a very small amount of paint has crept under the masking. Certainly worth £8.99.

I have obtained a Deltic from my local Asda's....

Judging by the thread history, it looks like Asda/Walmart is the only joint that consistently stocks them. Not seen them in Sainsbury's or Tesco. Not sure if Waitrose would stoop to such a level!

I asked WHS Ealing again today about stocking the GBL series, and got a flat "No" this time.

Hi,The bogies are particularly poor as the detailing does not have the weight and definition of the real thing.They also lack the steps to the cab.Not a very good effort at all - but then not intended for modellers and a bargain price so perhaps a bit ungenerous to complain.Regards.

The bogies could have been a lot worse, solid for a start. Good job I have a batch of Heljan DP2 spares.

Cheers

Shane

Eventually found a couple of these in WHS Burgess Hill on way home today - Haywards Heath doesn't seem to stock them any more. I was quite pleased to find them having planned to buy and strip to do a repaint so wasn't worried about any poor finish on the model... but blimey they were bad. I too considered that they were based on a rough copy of the Bachmann model... but it's an approximation and lacks the refinement (what you'd expect for the price I suppose .... as others have said)... I ummed and ahhed... and then put them back. Why on earth would I want to go to the lengths necessary to improve these to a display standard when I already have a backlog of 3 or 4 Bachmann deltics all needing attention? so I put them back, to allow other would-be buyers the opportunity that I would have deprived them of.

It's a shame that more care couldn't have been taken over the model's finish... maybe at that price, quality control or checking ... or even taking care to do a half decent job in the first place aren't a consideration. For those of you that have acquired one, I hope you like it and enjoy it... and I hope that anyone else in B'Hill acquiring one now benefits from my sacrifice  ;)

Edit - I've got to be honest though... by copying the Bachmann one, at least they've got the right cab traper-in... something that neither of the recent O gauge models have managed  :umbrage:

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 1

My WHS is giving out £5 off £20 vouchers so it was a couple of BOGOF superglue flex gels, the Deltic and the Future Publishing NRM Poster magbook for a just under £16.50.Have to agree the finish is poor but as its D9002 not D9009 as seemed likely from the image used mine is likely to get a coat of grey primer and parked sticking out of the preservation society shed with a Do not move sign on it.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Oh the memories of those playtimes

If you want a shiny / silver sticker you have to give me two normal ones.

Happy days! -

Very OT but I wonder if it was only the Panini football stickers people collected. I definitely collected these, but also recall collections for Snooker, Star Wars and also some relating to Gerry Anderson's "Thunderbirds" and "Space Precinct".

Staying :offtopic: I remember all the sticker frenzies from school, including a set that was done circa 1987 for the Beano.

Returning back on topic, and having read the reviews of the GBL Deltic, I've got a couple of Lima ones and I wonder if I could bash, bodge and mash them all together to make two reasonable models.

I really must get out more :jester:

Edited by Catkins

Sorry folks, but I haven't really understood the thread fully! I thought that we were due a Black5 but my local Smiths tell me that they only received the Deltic today, and it would be two weeks before the next issue. Have I missed the Black5 or is it still forthcoming? I would much appreciate your advice!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

I am actually wondering if its worth chopping the very front - that is just the part that would be yellow on the blue livery, off of a lima Deltic and using that to replace the GBL version. Its the one part lima seemed to do well. It would also neatly get rid of the square buffer cowls if you do not want to model D9008.

I have just stripped down the first of the Deltics I will give a guide to doing it in a second and also a quick bodge for those thinking of using these locos on a layout.

ok to remove the loco from the plinth there are two screws undo these and if you are wanting to do my bodge job keep them handy as you will need them in a while. next each bogie is held on with two screws there is a third screw hole in the middle where the screw that held the plinth on went. after undoing the two screws holding each bogie on the bogies will drop out. next under each nose end are two more screws undo both of them and the chassis will come away from the body.

if you are taking the glazing out to repaint the good news is it is not glued in at least not on mine a small screwdriver is all you need to prise them out, the front windows were the hardest to get out. however be careful as the brake pipes and horns are not very well glued in you don't want to lose them.

ok now for my bodge If you are using the loco as a static model on a layout since the bogies don't turn you can only put it on straight track. To make the bogies turn here is what I did. where the bogie attaches there are three plastic bits to put the screws into cut off two of them but leave the middle one. I then used the long screw that had held the loco to the plinth and screwed the bogie on with that now it is too long but I couldn't be bothered cutting it down keep screwing it in it will come through the other side but don't worry once its screwed in the bogie will be able to turn. if you are just putting it in a display case you don't need to do this.

I had a look earlier to see if the bogies from the Dapol Deltic kit were any better than the bogies on this one, to be honest they were not I had a go at seeing if the cab interior from that kit will fit, its to wide but I think with a bit of filing it could be make to fit. although Im only trying it as I have a spare cab and bogies from an old kit I don't think its worth spending £10 on the kit just to fit the cab interior to the GBL Deltic. the kit does have some bogie steps though so I might use them.

Cheers mate 

It was just a thought I had build the kit years ago but had fitted it to a lima Deltic chassis so I had the bogies and cab interiors left over the GEL bogies look better than the Dapol ones. 

Sorry folks, but I haven't really understood the thread fully! I thought that we were due a Black5 but my local Smiths tell me that they only received the Deltic today, and it would be two weeks before the next issue. Have I missed the Black5 or is it still forthcoming? I would much appreciate your advice!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Hi,

You can get a preview every 2 weeks of whats next on this site/link http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/the-models/

The original list seem to go off course a couple of issues ago so we now seem to be in "pot luck land" but once the latest one is released they do seem to add the next one more or less the same day so you can see whats coming up next.

EDIT :-

Checking the 'original' List this is how it should have been

Original                            Delivered

1. Mallard                        1. Mallard A4

2. Coronation                  2 Coronation

3. Flying Scotsman          3. Flying Scotsman A3

4. 28xx                            4. 28xx

5. Stowe 'Schools’ Class 5. Stowe Schools Class

6. ‘Deltics’                        6. Evening Star

7. Evening Star                7. Deltic

8. No. 44781 ‘Black Five'  8 Black Five

9. City of Truro

10. Gresley ‘K3’

11. Bulleid ‘West Country’ unrebuilt

12. Fowler 3F ‘Jinty’

13. Collett ‘Castle’

14. No. 1000 ‘Compound'

15. BR standard ‘4MT’ tank

16. Locomotion

17. Sulzer ‘Peaks’

18. Butler Henderson

19. 45xx

20. 'T9’

So it only went out issues 6 and 7 so hopefully were back on track with the original List ...

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Nes

I got my Deltic and 9F today. The 9F is up for adoption but apart from the Chinese wheels looks reasonable - I haven't taken it out of the packaging as I have it up for a swapsie if anyone wants one.

The Deltic. Well. I want to repaint it as Tulyar as seen in my pix on the 55xxx thread, and it certainly needs a repaint. The solebar line really is the same colour as the warning panels, and nicely shaded from deep yellow in the middle of the loco to pale greenish and then deeper again towards the end. There is a great deal of fuzzy-edge overspray on the warning panels and the roof but not on the window surrounds, oddly enough. The numbers are misaligned with the crest at the left-hand end, both sides, so the tampon was at fault it seems. Sloppy. The side window detailed paint is misaligned and one cab window is broken, presumably in the fitting process.

Overall I think I can make it fit for my purpose, which is a sort-of memento, using photos I took myself. I'm not too fussy about any small moulding errors, it has the look. 

I might do something with the 9F if I had somewhere to put it. It would look many times better if it didn't have crudely painted silver wheel rims and backs. I do wonder if there's any real sample painting and approval process - probably not to keep costs down - and what pictures of the real locos are being used to make these awful decor decisions.

Looking forward to the T9, but wish they'd do a Terrier. They might. I hope.