Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Typical! I just acquired some more parts on eBay for my (very long term project!) Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol 76xxx........

This is a new one not previously mentioned. Does it not bear more than a passing resemblance to models we've seen before - 4MT tank comes instantly to mind.

If the finish is decent, it would save me doing all that lining, which would make it worth £8.99.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Hi,

GBL locomotives being sold at ridiculous or dealer inflated prices have been featured several times on the 'ebay madness' thread.

Would it not be preferable to keep such mentions to that thread rather than duplicating them on GBL, which has an altogether more sensible purpose.

It seems a bit daft to clutter GBL up with what could get out of hand duplications.

Regards

It wasn't so much the price (which granted is a premium!), but the fact that the model is not yet available (and won't be for a couple of weeks!) so can't be supplied and is not in stock (unless it's a GBL employee moonlighting).

Edited by Il Grifone

Having a look at the peak and comparing it to a mainline class 45 if you have a spare chassis it should be easy to put the gbl body onto a mainline chassis. The difference between the bodies are the mounting points the gbl body has 3 mounting points where the chassis screws on. One in the middle and one each under the noses. There are 3 walls inside presumably for strengthening. If you remove the mounting points and walls the chassis should fit easily enough.

That would be the wrong tender for the Southern Region allocation, would it not?

From the picture, it would appear that a BR1B tender is to be supplied as fitted to the Southern allocations.

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi,

Well thats another secret out!.

The 76xxx 2-6-0 was of course very closely related to the 4MT tank as released as Issue 15.

Now as to the GBL model - I did say some posts ago that the next issue after the 'C' would, I felt, please many.

Yes its a previously not announced release - and there are at least five more unannounced locos due over the next three months.

The 76xxx is copied from the Bachmann model of relatively recent years and is actually quite a good copy

Looking at the model on the bench it is clearly one of the better GBL models and is likely to find much use by modellers.

The finish is particularly pleasing with a good satin black finish and very neatly applied lining. Again the BR totem on the tender is very sharp and easily the equal of expensive decals.

The model does not appear to have any significant dimensional problems.

The only thing that does not ring quite true to my eyes is the dome, which seems to be slightly too 'square' looking. As my Bachmann loco is with a friend 260 miles away at the moment I cant compare them directly and looking at photos isnt totally reliable so i'm not 100 per cent sure - the jury's out on this until I can make a better comparison.

The tender is a very good model in its own right and should be usefull for some other BR 'Standards' - perhaps with small alterations to such as the coal space - however it should be remembered that there were several small variations to what looked almost identical tenders that would need to be taken into account - especially those that were confined to Southern Region allocated locomotives.

All in all this one is something to look forward too.

Now its been asked whats next? - cant actually let the cat out of the bag but will say Its a good bet it will be another 'crowd pleaser'.

Regards

GBL 4MT sounds very good. Got a Bachmann 4mt which is a very good model ihmo, also a couple of Airfix kits that were built up to be motorised "one day".  So I would have passed on the GBL one but your comments about the useful tender made me think that it could perhaps be converted into a BR1F tender that's needed for a 5MT I renumbered to an SR one that had one. Need to look into this in next 3 1/2 weeks....

That would be the wrong tender for the Southern Region allocation, would it not?

Some SR ones had the bigger tender (BR1B)  76053, 76060, 76066  certainly.  Think there was a batch of the ones built for SR  with the larger tender (like GBL) but will look for ref later. 

Edited by railroadbill

I wasn't planning to make use of the GBL Peak or the 4MT Mogul, especially since the usual sources have long since dried up, but the more I look at them.......

Having a look at the peak and comparing it to a mainline class 45 if you have a spare chassis it should be easy to put the gbl body onto a mainline chassis. The difference between the bodies are the mounting points the gbl body has 3 mounting points where the chassis screws on. One in the middle and one each under the noses. There are 3 walls inside presumably for strengthening. If you remove the mounting points and walls the chassis should fit easily enough.

Class 45 bogie frames are still available from Replica....

Edited by Horsetan

So if I understand this thread right the 45 is actually a 46?

Some class 45s had the triangular grille under the main grill, from my pics of 45022 it certainly did so the GBL model is correct in this respect.

All class 45s had the cross strengthening on the battery boxes, the GBL model doesn't so is not correct in this respect. The battery boxes are therefore class 46.

There is another difference between these two classes, class 45s have a square hatch on one side only in front of the triangular grille wheras the class 46s don't. Not sure if any model manufacturers actually include this.

45022 ran with a special paint job for a while, silver grille surrounds, white cantrail stripe and red buffer beams. May make for a nice variation:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barry13092/4309303354/in/photolist-nkLec8-pu4ebX-fHwGzb-nttxB2-nKMN4E-bBs1GK-dozHpo-e3oiUd-7ibQxX-diC3t3-dx2DBp-5SBS5X-g4E38t-8bGL9U-8bDt86-bj7k8R-drZXiS-7yNiKG-8envXL-8bDthP-duSyGf-7ioMkY-jpib5s-eBRWcF-bjgb3k-fkHD32-c89UUW-decc45-brk2cZ-hs2XHG-f94nx2-7wdW7d-a54hNH-9QCDZJ-9QzKce-9QCE9L-nPxo5K-e3sJzS-kChUkV-cgWGY5-nbcfUx-cPgzTU-gXEv6T-98zEDK-p1HjCc-dg5TSA-4bVLyr-6a6gHW-8KMW7w-ajDFZm

• RMweb Gold

The GBL peak certainly has class 46 battery box covers (or a representation of them).

Struggled to find a decent broadside pic but this YouTube video of D172 illustrates it well from 1 min on.

I guess most will be looking at spare Bachmann chassis to power these, but I've enough spare class 46 shells (nose seamless Bachmann release) to work on, and these need much less work by the look of it to this GBL release. Craftsman also provide white metal kits for peak buffer beams, I have one so fitted to the version of the Bachmann chassis that erroneously had the buffer assembly attached to the underside of the cab,

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Some SR ones had the bigger tender (BR1B)  76053, 76060, 76066  certainly.  Think there was a batch of the ones built for SR  with the larger tender (like GBL) but will look for ref later. 

76046 to 76069 were the SR allocation with BR1B larger tenders, as per GBL.   Southern also had 76005 to 76019 and 25 to 29 (smaller tender) but the Stratford ones also ended up on SR.  Doesn't look like 70 and up were ever on SR.    (BR motive power allocations 59-68, Ian Allen)

....Hopefully it will fit onto the Hornby tender chassis, bought a 9F body (92212) from Model Spares years ago but it came with a low bodied tender, hoping that the tender body swop will be easy and not out of place for the "Mogul".  ....

Whilst some of the BR 4MT Moguls had BR1B tenders, the rest were normally attached to BR2 or 2A tenders. None were known to have run with the large BR1A/G/H tenders which were usually found behind 7, 6, 5 and 9Fs.