Great British Locomotives

EddieB

One of mine had a small gap under the smokebox, so apart it came. The splashers are separate parts, glued on.

While I was at it I took the tender apart as well.

The only obvious error is the extra divider on the tender top. Otherwise a very nice and useful model.

The separate parts I've spotted so far (on the loco, not having disassembled the tender yet):

Driving wheels, 2x coupling rods, chassis base(with spring detail), running plate, 2x buffer heads, coupling hook, brake pipe, Westinghouse pump, 4x splashers, cab backhead insert, cab, cab glazing, smokebox door, boiler (main), boiler (bottom section), safety valves, whistle, 2x boiler-side pipes (brass), boiler-side pipe (black), 2x brass smokebox side lubricators (?)

A lot more going on here than on, say, the Mallard or some of the other models. Just goes to show how lucky we are to get all this for less than £10!

Ah, in that case then the loco chassis from the Airfix/GMR origin 4F from Mainline and subsequently Hornby in tender drive form will be bob on. Derby wheelbase, 5'2" wheels. Must be some of those kicking about cheap s/h.

Went and got a C class today, Asda only had 2 left.  As the earlier postings show, this is definitely one of the better ones, only the Caley 123 of the ones I've got has a better finish.  Having learned from Horsetan's post that the coupled wheelbase is the same as a 4F  I agree that an Airfix tender powered chassis ought to  do the trick, since I've got one spare. The prototype 4F driving wheels are 5' 3" while the C has 5' 2" wheels but perhaps close enough.  As Nile's pics show though both the loco footplate and tender floor are solid and I haven't had time to try cutting it up to try fitting the chassis yet. On the other hand I also have an old Hornby Jinty chassis block plus motor - well one of these ought to be the solution. 

I bought a few bits from Branchlines recently and I noticed that in the  catalogue they sent is a C class chassis kit, don't know what it's like.

But the GBL loco does look good enough for a better chassis though...

Like Sarahagain's C, this is going to have to be in the queue!

• Like 2

There were a few at ASDA Rugby this morning so I picked them one as I want to try and build something ex-Caledonian with them (I know it won't be accurate but it'll pass if it looks the part.) 

Think I'll try and motorise it using a Bachmann 57XX chassis, will need to make a new cab and shorten the boiler/footplate at least to get it in line with what I want to model.

Johnny

• Like 2

Picture shows Bachmann C class running on a Purbeck Model Railway Group's layout at Swanage. As I already have a Bachmann model I did not buy the Great British Locomotives version. The latter would make an excellent part static display. Yesterday there was one left at Smiths at Swanage. Today there were none on the display stand at Poole. The assistant said that they normally have 4 or 5 but they only put one on display. He took two more out from the storeroom at the back.

post-17621-0-91690200-1421959088_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

There were a few C class at my local Sainsbury's and having read this forum from beginning to end I invested in two straightaway - my first purchase from the GBL series. Ignored my wife muttering "I don't understand why you're buying TWO".

As I mainly model the North Staffordshire Railway pre and post-grouping, this model will convert into a very convincing NSR 159 class 0-6-0. The main alteration will be to provide a chassis of slightly shorter wheelbase at the rear (7'9"+7'9") with a noticable splasher in front of the cab, and removing the sandbox on the centre one. The front footplate may need shortening slightly. The rest of the boiler and the smokebox front are spot on for a 159. Safety valves are fine for the NSR Ramsbottom type but will need changing to Ross pop for LMS era. The tender looks pretty close to a 159 but probably needs more minor modifications than the loco body. Tender needs some toolboxes, NSR axleboxes and coal rails. As the 159s were virtually identical to a Furness Railway class, FR modellers might find them useful too. Although NSR classes were decimated by the introduction of LMS standard classes, a couple of NSR 159s lasted in service until 1936 so plenty of opportunity to have one in LMS black. Here's a photo of 8677.

post-17236-0-89045000-1421960378_thumb.jpg

Incredible value at £8.99 and both mine appear to be perfectly assembled and painted. I might just keep them in SECR green for a while...

Mark (5D_Stoke)

Edited by 5D_Stoke
  • Like 4

Some wonderful ideas for conversions for the c class especially 5D and his NSR 159 class I look forward to that one most of all. One of the big problems that seem to make the C unique is the depth of the running plate valance on both the loco and tender which shows up in the extra depth of the buffer beam. This is one of the main things to address if one was to make any conversion convincing which is why I didn't go with it this time but rather went with the single as a base for a Caley 0-6-0 conversion. Mind you after 5Ds mention of the Furness version I'm a bit tempted to think again, "Oh no its happening again - mum - MUM"

• Like 1

There were a few C class at my local Sainsbury's and having read this forum from beginning to end I invested in two straightaway - my first purchase from the GBL series. Ignored my wife muttering "I don't understand why you're buying TWO".

As I mainly model the North Staffordshire Railway pre and post-grouping, this model will convert into a very convincing NSR 159 class 0-6-0. The main alteration will be to provide a chassis of slightly shorter wheelbase at the rear (7'9"+7'9") with a noticable splasher in front of the cab, and removing the sandbox on the centre one. The front footplate may need shortening slightly. The rest of the boiler and the smokebox front are spot on for a 159. Safety valves are fine for the NSR Ramsbottom type but will need changing to Ross pop for LMS era. The tender looks pretty close to a 159 but probably needs more minor modifications than the loco body. Tender needs some toolboxes, NSR axleboxes and coal rails. As the 159s were virtually identical to a Furness Railway class, FR modellers might find them useful too. Although NSR classes were decimated by the introduction of LMS standard classes, a couple of NSR 159s lasted in service until 1936 so plenty of opportunity to have one in LMS black. Here's a photo of 8677.

attachicon.gifNSR_159class_0-6-0_8677_at_Stoke_undated_RP_W1007.jpg

Incredible value at £8.99 and both mine appear to be perfectly assembled and painted. I might just keep them in SECR green for a while...

Mark (5D_Stoke)

This rather intrigued me so I've just ventured into my (freezing cold) loft and measured up a 1970's vintage Triang-Hornby R.052 Jinty.

Bizarrely, the wheelbase is correct at 62mm, although it's slightly asymmetrical at 30mm + 32mm as opposed to the 31mm + 31 mm you'd need to be absolutely correct for a 159.

There are always lots of these chassis knocking around quite cheaply at swapmeets and on ebay. The key is whether you could live with that 1mm discrepancy at the centre wheel and if after painting and weathering it would be visible over normal viewing distances.

Alan Gibson doesn't list the North Staffs 159 among their Profiled Milled Mainframes and I'm assuming the FR cousin is the D3, which again they don't appear to list.

I too would be very interested in a conversion as I have a soft spot for the North Staffs and its eclectic mix of locos.

Andy

• Like 2

There was a C class in Asda Great Yarmouth this morning but I had a hard think about it and decided not to go for it, I've enough on at the moment and to be honest modelling the Caledonian I think there was more bits I could use on the Single for my jumbo conversion than on the C class. You cant buy everything so I 'll let this one go by this time. Steve

Picked op one of these this week. Long time listener, first time caller as they say on the radio!

Couldn't resist this one... I'm looking at a conversion to a GNRi machine if I can, or maybe something CIE, we shall see - I'm currently looking at options!

One thing that struck me is whether anyone is contemplating the single 'S' class conversion shown in the accompanying magazine, it might be an interesting project for someone!

Regards

Richard.

• Like 2

I looked at the S Class, I looked at the line of T9s waiting completion, I glanced to the Castle and two West Countries awaiting painting and the Castle to Star conversion...

and I thought 'maybe'.

I forgot the long tank E2 and the Hayling Billy Terrier because they're not GBL...

• Like 3

Popped into WHSmith in Warminster this afternoon to have a look at the C Class.  Not that I  need one but no harm in looking. :-)

Nothing to be seen of the C Class, but there were two Peaks buried under  3D printer partworks, one of them detached from its backing card. 

Why this branch has the partworks dispenser rack over by the Post Office counter, in the opposite side of the store to the magazines and books, is anyones guess.

I picked up the C class as it looked nice and I had noted the possibility of a J,36 mentioned earlier. Looking at it,I wonder whether a J21 or J25 is an option. The boiler diameter is 2" greater on the C,and it will need a new cab and tender. Hmm....

• Like 2