RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

...the build up of ash in the firebox thus creating draughtiing problems...Mr Churchward, solving it brilliantly of course with his 460 family....what a great hobby

The 4-6-0 format was nevertheless ultimately limited by the ashpan, and this affected even the best designed of the type. The effective power output for an express type of good ashpan design was about 2,500 - 3,000 dbhphours before a reduction in power output was noticeable: about 200 miles range in typical UK express traffic. Churchward knew this, which was why he built a wide firebox prototype pacific. The size of an equally well designed ashpan for a wide firebox type conferred a good 400 mile range in UK express traffic. But the stagnation after Churchward meant that exploitation of this advance was not found from Swindon.

E.S Cox in his book, outlined these concerns ...ie build up of ash on the long anglo scottish expresses...his remedy, would if i recall have culminated in the LMS 464 design...got my Lord Nelson  about to undergo a full body transplant...boiler (painted tube...boiler bands courtesy of thin tamiya lining tape) prepared waiting to go.....rest of body will be repainted BR green to match

• RMweb Premium

Collected my regular order of 2  copies from my local newsagent this morning, they were none the wiser as to the reasons for the delay in delivery.

I see the magazine raises the point that, when introduced the Lord Nelsons were, on paper at least, the most powerful 4 - 6 - 0 Loco in Britain.

This brought to mind a vague recollection of reading (don't ask me where) that this caused the publicity conscious GWR to introduce the King Class and thereby reclaim the mantle of 'most powerful' at the time.

Looking at the time scale between the introduction of the 2 classes however, I'd have thought it unlikely that The King Class could have been designed and produced so quickly as a reaction to the Southern's  LN.

Any comments on this would be interesting.

Regards

John 

Edit with number lock switched on.

Edited by Brit70053
  • Like 3

The 4-6-0 format was nevertheless ultimately limited by the ashpan, and this affected even the best designed of the type. The effective power output for an express type of good ashpan design was about 2,500 - 3,000 dbhphours before a reduction in power output was noticeable: about 200 miles range in typical UK express traffic. Churchward knew this, which was why he built a wide firebox prototype pacific. The size of an equally well designed ashpan for a wide firebox type conferred a good 400 mile range in UK express traffic. But the stagnation after Churchward meant that exploitation of this advance was not found from Swindon.

Perhaps because 200 miles range was quite adequate for the Great Western. It is possible that the 'Bear' was only built as a publicity exercise, Certainly no further development was undertaken. She was in addition limited to running between London and Bristol (though I read somewhere that she did get to Plymouth). There is also a report that she travelled all the way London to Bristol without any coal being added to the firebox (possibly apocryphal?).

Asda had only one 'Nelson' this morning, which came home with me. :)  She seems quite reasonable apart from the usual GBL non-functional motion/valve gear, the boiler skirt ant the dreadful cab window glazing (the last is not too difficult to remedy, when I get around to it).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 4

Collected my regular order of 2  copies from my local newsagent this morning, they were none the wiser as to the reasons for the delay in delivery.

I see the magazine raises the point that, when introduced the Lord Nelsons were, on paper at least, the most powerful 4 - 6 - 0 Loco in Britain.

This brought to mind a vague recollection of reading (don't ask me where) that this caused the publicity conscious GWR to introduce the King Class and thereby reclaim the mantle of 'most powerful' at the time.

Looking at the time scale between the introduction of the 2 classes however, I'd have thought it unlikely that The King Class could have been designed and produced so quickly as a reaction to the Southern's  LN.

Any comments on this would be interesting.

Regards

John 

Edit with number lock switched on.

The general consensus appears to be that this was indeed the case*. The outside/inside design of the front bogie certainly appears rushed - it wasn't required on the LMS 'Princess' or apparently on the 'stillborn' GWR Pacific. The expensive new patterns for the 6' 6" wheels were approved to get the tractive effort over 40,000 lb.

* That they only built 30 'Kings' would seem to bear this out. The 'Castles' were adequate for all but the heaviest trains.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Popped into my local Sainsbugs this AM and liberated their LN, complete in all its dogeared cardback glory!

If anything, the livery application is even worse than that in the photos in post 5459.  Not only is the lining a bit wavey, but the paint is missing on the top-left corner of the firebox!  In addition, the nameplates are falling backwards off the splashers.....

As for the bright "copper" water feed pipework, it looks as if its been pinched off a Triang "Sir Dinadan"!

Haven't decided how to treat it but some sort of complete repaint is on the cards.....

Perhaps just paint it black and hide it amongst the Patriots and Royal Scots?  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Finally got 1 from my local Sainsburys

Have an unused Bachmann Lord nelson Chassis that I bought with a view of using on an unuseable Mainline class 5 (not easily feasable). After a house in the next few weeks I may get the chance to motorise with the proper chassis, tender bogies more of a problem but may use the metal outers as an add on to some old bogies

Chaz

Daughter in law informs me that she was successful and I have a second example waiting for me. This one will be 1920s livery with no smoke deflectors. Don't what I'll call it yet. Perhaps Rodney.

Daughter in law informs me that she was successful and I have a second example waiting for me. This one will be 1920s livery with no smoke deflectors. Don't what I'll call it yet. Perhaps Rodney.

Are you sure it's not called Dave?

Latest progress on the  J38/2, running on a latest version Jinty chassis. The tender remains the one borrowed from a Bachmann J39 and was originally from the GBL K3. I think this loco has turned out an o.k representation and looks sufficiently different from a J39 to make the work worthwhile as a layout engine. It's a fairly simple conversion, I just basically removed the splashers, moulded handrails and steampipe, and added a pipe which runs from the cab to the front of the saddle on both sides of the boiler, and is quite prominent on all pics and on my Isinglass drawing. 

post-1659-0-33753300-1436988052_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-42058600-1436988066_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-74663500-1436988138_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

If you're having plates engraved make sure they don't say Rooney

Finally got 1 from my local Sainsburys

Have an unused Bachmann Lord nelson Chassis that I bought with a view of using on an unuseable Mainline class 5 (not easily feasable). After a house in the next few weeks I may get the chance to motorise with the proper chassis, tender bogies more of a problem but may use the metal outers as an add on to some old bogies

Chaz

I'd be interested to read your How To... on motorising the LN.

• Like 2

... complete in all its dogeared cardback glory!

Sainsbury's in Kidlington seem to delight in making origami models of the card and magazine as they "ram" them into the magazine racks!

Still, a few months in the binder being pressed by the rest of the mags should iron out most of the creases; despite everything, I've faithfully collected one of each from the start.

Cheers

Phil

I got mine earlier the coal in the tender is the worst we have seen yet I'm not even sure how I can add proper coal on top of that. It's like a ski slope

quickly removed with my dremel...awaiting a replacement plastic card filling piece
  • Like 2

Boiler replaced not quite as straightforward as I thought...the Perspex tube and the plastic used by GBL have a strong dislike of one another.anyway nothing epoxy couldn't cure...I'm as ever falling into my favourite trap....working on a number of models. Still have the county in the works....western finished...producing bits to convert the peppercorn...should I ever get one...to a thompson.....I feel a bit like the North British loco works....hang on didn't they go bust!,,

• Like 3

Boiler replaced not quite as straightforward as I thought...the Perspex tube and the plastic used by GBL have a strong dislike of one another.anyway nothing epoxy couldn't cure...I'm as ever falling into my favourite trap....working on a number of models. Still have the county in the works....western finished...producing bits to convert the peppercorn...should I ever get one...to a thompson.....I feel a bit like the North British loco works....hang on didn't they go bust!,,

The plastic GBL use for their mouldings is atrocious - it can't be recycled as such, as its a homogenous colour, but it must be the cheapest, nastiest styrene they can get hold of! It was a hateful task cutting through the J39 running plate (and remove the internal boiler stiffeners) to insert a Hornby Jinty chassis....

(It lurches around beautifully now!)

• Like 1