RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

It was tounge in cheek I could also have added class 21 and baby Deltics.

The 31s were poor when built and have always seemed to me to be underpowered. That said there are still a few out on the mainline at there grand old age which is pretty good going. Those English Electric engines were built to last (except for the ones in baby Deltics) class 20s and 37s going strong and class 08s. (08s should have qualified for a great British locomotive model)

I would have had a GBL 31, but not to be, sigh.

• Like 1

The 31s were poor when built and have always seemed to me to be underpowered. That said there are still a few out on the mainline at there grand old age which is pretty good going...

Technically, all the Brush type 2 were built as what became TOPS class 30 with the Mirrlees engine, the class 31 is the re-engined unit. As early pilot scheme machines built against a BR spec which included steam heating gear and a very restrictive axle load requirement, they came out 'heavyweight', much as the BR and EE DE type 4s, and the NDL DH type 4, all machines also with unpowered carrying wheels.

The BR spec. was somewhat revised as experience was gained and later pilot scheme type 2's could just be squeaked onto an acceptable axle load for the BoBo format to be used. (There were some mutterings at the time that 'special weighbridges' had been used to get some of these designs to qualify.) But the truth will out in the long run, as a look at what survived longest in service confirms. All the BoBo type 2s with pilot scheme origins are long gone, and all but one of the pilot scheme origin types in power classes 1, 3, 4 and 5 come to that; while the Brush class 31 plods on, alongside the EE class 20. The other long term in-service survivors are second generation designs, classes 33, 37 and 47, designs which benefitted greatly from the first generation experience.

Time for a "not likely to appear" second series wishlist?

How about some Modern Image locos:

Class 08

Class 20

Class 25

Class 31

Class 76/EM1

Class 77/EM2

Class 81/AL1/E3001

APT-P

And for steam:

Princess Coronation (unstreamlined)

Fowler SDJR 2-8-0

I think we have enough possibles to fill another series especially as "Modern Image" has hardly even been touched.

Just off the top of my head and using mostly older models to copy whilst trying to avoid obviously similar prototypes.

Modern : 03/04, 08/09, 20, 24/25, 26/27/33, 29, 31, 35, 37, 40, 42/43, 50, 56, 58, 59/66, 60, 67, 73, 81, 85, 86, 87, 90, 91, 92, APT

GWR:  14xx, 56xx, 61xx, 42xx/52xx/72xx, 94xx, 2251 Collett Goods, 2301 Dean Goods, 32xx Dukedog, Dean Single, 43xx, Saint/Star, Hall/Grange/Manor, Diesel Rail Car

LMS:  Fowler 4P 2-6-4T, 2P 4-4-0, 4F 0-6-0, Crab 2-6-0, Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0, Patriot 4-6-0, Jubilee 4-6-0, LNWR 0-8-0, S&DJR 2-8-0, Duchess 4-6-2

LNER:  J50, J52, J72, J94, L1, N2, V1/V3, B1, B17, D49, O4

SR:  A1X Terrier, M7, E2, Q1, N15, Rebuilt Bulleid Pacific

BR: 5MT 4-6-0, WD 2-8-0

Jason

The Atlas Editions (sort-of TT, continental and UK prototypes) included things that had never been made RTR, such as the Crampton, that streamlined German thingy and so on. This must surely have meant that instead of just measuring an existing RTR they did the design work themselves.

How different GBL would have been if they had taken the same approach. But probably heavily compromised on detail. We could have had some great 19th century locos, even some broad gauge. That would have been fun.

Oops I've started a wish list.

Class 303

Runs away

Naughty darrel!

You can't have an emu as its not a loco.  Look what happened with the HST issue - one power car.....

Otherwise I'd also add classes 503 and perhaps 502, for their historical importance!

Guest spet0114

Look what happened with the HST issue - one power car.....

Just imagine the size of the backing card if they'd done a complete formation!!

• RMweb Premium

Naughty darrel!

You can't have an emu as its not a loco.  Look what happened with the HST issue - one power car.....

Otherwise I'd also add classes 503 and perhaps 502, for their historical importance!

The Del Prado "locomotives of the world" series included the odd multiple unit. Just one coach each, though for the articulated ETR-300 they had to include a little bit of the next coach so that they could fit the whole bogie in...

Dear all if this thread has been anything...it surely has to have been.....fun..enjoyment...the speculation...anticipation...debate on what is or isn't a worthy candidate for the accolade of gbl..the conversion..improvement?.adaptation...in conclusion it's been a great journey and to all my fellow travellers......thank you

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dear all if this thread has been anything...it surely has to have been.....fun..enjoyment...the speculation...anticipation...debate on what is or isn't a worthy candidate for the accolade of gbl..the conversion..improvement?.adaptation...in conclusion it's been a great journey and to all my fellow travellers......thank you

Apart from the cut-price first model, I haven't bought any of these (though I might well have gone for the Western if I'd seen one in the shops).

But I have very much enjoyed seeing what other people have been doing.

I suspect this isn't quite what the publishers had in mind for this series, but it does seem to have caused enjoyment to plenty of people.

"...in conclusion it's been a great journey" sounds like it's the end. It may be the end of the series, but I feel it isn't the end of modifications. We could see post starting with "the other day I found a GBL Class XYZ I had forgotten about, and wondered....."  for many years to come.

Have faith, fellow travellers. The journey is not over.

• Like 1

"...in conclusion it's been a great journey" sounds like it's the end. It may be the end of the series, but I feel it isn't the end of modifications. We could see post starting with "the other day I found a GBL Class XYZ I had forgotten about, and wondered....." for many years to come.

Have faith, fellow travellers. The journey is not over.

Very true, I like to believe that we'll see many more conversions in the future. I myself have a few planned, I'm just waiting for my meagre income to build up enough to support some of them.

Also of note, the build a solar system partwork has recently started circulating again. It's a very long shot but by that idea it could be possible that GBL makes a revised comeback in a few years or Amercom may have the next series in the wings. It's just a case of waiting to see what happens.

• Like 1

Now in primer and almost finished this can claim a right to being on this thread as the boiler, smokebox (Although cut back a bit) and the boiler back head came from a GBL T9 (Here's a link to the build thread)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77470-steves-caledonian-loco-work-bench/?p=1973573

A Caledonian 492 class 0-8-0 tank. Don't worry not a waste of the T9 as the cab, splashers and tender have gone onto at least two other projects as well.

Your right this has been fun and the I've learnt a lot from all the conversions that have been put on here and I've got enough GBL in stock to keep me going for years. Steve

post-17847-0-92767300-1441781743.jpgpost-17847-0-92936400-1441781772.jpg

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 2

I think we have enough possibles to fill another series especially as "Modern Image" has hardly even been touched.

Just off the top of my head and using mostly older models to copy whilst trying to avoid obviously similar prototypes.

Modern : 03/04, 08/09, 20, 24/25, 26/27/33, 29, 31, 35, 37, 40, 42/43, 50, 56, 58, 59/66, 60, 67, 73, 81, 85, 86, 87, 90, 91, 92, APT

Some of those weren't particularly "Great" locos though (e.g. 29), and the 59/66 and 67 aren't British... 

• Like 1

The LMS twins would have been nice

Question, when there cloning a model do they just scan it or actually take a mold off it as if they just scan it couldn't they have just scanned a real loco and then the range could have included some locos that there were never models of.

• RMweb Premium

Some of those weren't particularly "Great" locos though (e.g. 29), and the 59/66 and 67 aren't British... 

Depends on your definition, doesn't it?

The 59's weren't made or designed in Britain, but it's where they have spent their lives so far (ignoring 59 003).

Moreover, they were commissioned by a UK company and designed specifically for the UK (and, if the stories are to be believed, the exterior styling was supposed to be based on the class 52 - but was it based on the real thing or the Lima model?)

Edited by Coryton
  • Like 2