Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tips chaps. I'll have a go with 'Brasso' and 'Klear' later today in the first instance I think. Cutting neat replacement clear windows will be a bit of a challenge!

I forgot to mention, go very sparingly with the Brasso. And better try it out first somewhere were it will not be seen if possible. Brasso contains an extremely fine abrasive that leaves scratches on plastic that are filled by the Klear. Rather like the 'invisible' windscreen chip repairs.

Just 76053 - 76069 inclusive. All initially allocated to BR(SR), but as ever check shed allocations just in case.

Thanks just checked Hugh longworths excellent book BR steam locomotives complete allocations history 1948_1968 everyone of those locos remained allocated to the southern region. I should be able to find an alternative tender on a well known online auction site though.

I forgot to mention, go very sparingly with the Brasso. And better try it out first somewhere were it will not be seen if possible. Brasso contains an extremely fine abrasive that leaves scratches on plastic that are filled by the Klear. Rather like the 'invisible' windscreen chip repairs.

I have found that the liquid in Brasso can craze some clear plastics - the finest possible wet-and-dry paper, used wet, preceded by a fibreglass stick if necessary, is safer IMHO.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

What will you do about the smokebox for the K4? I think it has a larger diameter than the boiler+cladding....

I intend to follow the time honoured manner is rolling plasticard around the smokebox. My thinnest sheet is 0.5 and this looks too thick, so I'll try 0.25. Thanks for the reminder. I,m using a Beattie drawing which is a bit light on detail.
  • Like 4

I used brasso on a model aircraft canopy and it dissolved. Agree that wet and dry paper 2500 grade? used wet works.

Still got half a bottle of proper klear left, read a review of a new humbrol acrylic varnish (think it's called clear, not clearfix) which was supposed to be as good.

Edited by railroadbill

Can anyone inform me where you can get Johnsons klear....or its replacement product....mail order preferably as Ive looked in local shops such as morrisons who are supposed to stock it without success..thanks appreciate it

Can anyone inform me where you can get Johnsons klear....or its replacement product....mail order preferably as Ive looked in local shops such as morrisons who are supposed to stock it without success..thanks appreciate it

Do a Google search on Johnsons Pledge Klear.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Do a Google search on Johnsons Pledge Klear.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As I understand it the original Johnson's klear/pledge was an acrylic varnish intended for floors. It was replaced by a different formula that includes other ingredients such as perfumes that make it unsatisfactory for modelling purposes. So no point in looking for current product it's not the same excellent stuff at all.

Look on the humbrol website for a varnish called I think clear. When I get home I'll look that up. Got good reviews in modelling magazines. Hope that helps.

Edited by railroadbill

The following are the scheduled releases from GBL, up to and including issue 40.  Issue 26 hit the stores Wednesday/Thursday, and the content of issue 27 is well known. On occasion publication schedules have, understandably, been altered and rescheduled, but the publisher’s intention is to go with this list.  Confidentiality is not an issue, as this information has been freely available for sometime, although not always published on the GBL website.

26 The BR standard 4MT 2-6-0s

27 Stephenson’s Rocket + 4w carriage

28 Royal Scot

29 Holden B12 class

30 Collett 57xx Pannier tank

31 Maunsell ‘N’ class

32 Britannia and the 7MTs

33 Stanier ‘8F’

34 Western diesel hydraulic

35 Gresley J39 class

36 Hawksworth ‘Counties’

37 Lord Nelson 4-6-0s

38 Ivatt ‘2MTs’ (model is 2-6-2T

39 Peppercorn ‘A1/A2s’ (Blue Peter?) Apple green

40 Brush Type 4

Edited by King Pin

An interesting list, but no Dean Single! (Still I have already got one!). There are no real surprises, though some might be accused of being similar to previous issues. My B12 needs a new body...

I assume (/guess) the originals are as follows:-

28 Mainline (Wrenn is unlikely IMHO), 29 Tri-ang, 30 Mainline, 31 Bachmann, 32 Tri-ang (other possibilities here), 33 Hornby, 34 Lima, 35 Bachmann, 36 Hornby, 37 Bachmann, 38 Bachmann 39 Hornby ('Tornado' would be likely I think), 40 Tri-ang.

Later incarnations exist in some cases of course.

EDIT

for manufacturer of no. 37 (oops)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I hope the class 47 is anything other than the Hornby version. Lima copy would be good Bachmann even better. Fingers crossed for a 37.

Happy with the rest of the list. Will it stop at 40 or continue? Only time will tell.

Would be nice if they bent the rules on what a locomotive is Blue pulman driving car, APT driving car? Eurostar? Maybe there will be a follow up series great British multiple units, well I can dream.

• Like 2

Strange that the 8F is there to Jo Public it must look just like the black five, mind you there's a few others that are a little close to previous ones too from all the main railway companies both post and pre grouping. I'm still surprised there's no EM2 in there.

Not sure about that. I suspect that some of the 'casual' sales will be to people who had/lusted after certain locos as a youth. Certainly for me the 8F is iconic from endlessly reading Hornby Dublo catalogues of stuff I couldn't afford. It's a very handsome loco, I think it will be popular.

Meanwhile I've been working on every angle of 'King Pin' and I can't see any clues yet!

• Like 1

Not sure about that. I suspect that some of the 'casual' sales will be to people who had/lusted after certain locos as a youth. Certainly for me the 8F is iconic from endlessly reading Hornby Dublo catalogues of stuff I couldn't afford. It's a very handsome loco, I think it will be popular.

Meanwhile I've been working on every angle of 'King Pin' and I can't see any clues yet!

Hi Smiffy,

Keep working on those angles!

I decided to phone the publisher (not GBL) and asked them what models are scheduled for the coming weeks.

Spoke with two very helpful people and the list was emailed to me. They could not have been more helpful.

I mentioned this site, and they had no issues with it being posted here, even expressing a surprise that I assumed it might be a problem.

The bottom line of course is sales, and if those meet expectations, they advised the current 'plan' is to stick with the schedule I posted earlier.

But things can change.

Thats's it, that's what they said.

There is nothing to prevent any other member who is interested in these threads from doing the same.

Edited by King Pin

It was replaced by a different formula that includes other ingredients such as perfumes that make it unsatisfactory for modelling purposes.

This is contrary to what has been posted here and elsewhere; many modellers from various backgrounds state that the new Pledge Klear, though cloudy in the bottle, dries to the same clear high gloss.

See http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/klear-ing-things-up.html .

I can't confirm this from personal experience - my shed contains a sizeable hoard of the original Klear !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This is contrary to what has been posted here and elsewhere; many modellers from various backgrounds state that the new Pledge Klear, though cloudy in the bottle, dries to the same clear high gloss.

See http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/klear-ing-things-up.html .

I can't confirm this from personal experience - my shed contains a sizeable hoard of the original Klear !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I've got half a bottle or so of the original left. Vital for modelling!  It dries so thinly you don't use much anyway. I've  read comments in various magazines saying that the new stuff won't work, but haven't tried it. Obviously the jury is out on this one! If it is as good as the old stuff then I'll certainly try it, when current supply used up.  (Been several years since the original klear was available anyway).

However, this varnish is getting good mentions,

http://www.humbrol.com/coatings-thinners/varnishes/humbrol-gloss-clear-125ml-bottle.html

and there's a video about it as well. Same uses as klear.  So another trial called for.

cheers

Bill