Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I'd like to try that when I become a more experienced modeller but I neither have the skill or money at the moment.

Rhys

Wouldn't the GBL Jinty and a cheap chassis from Ebay be the perfect opportunity? It's unlikely to get any cheaper.

Regards,

Stefan

Totally agree and that's what I intend to do, but I meant in the future trying to bring a Hornby Jinty up to Bachmann standards just to see if it can be done rather than to doing it with the GBL Jinty just to have a one.

Rhys

• Like 2

OT again, but I wonder if anyone ever went the whole hog with the Hornby "Jinty" body and actually turned it into something that looked as convincing as Bachmann's?

Easy! All she needs is a new chassis and a new body! :jester:

The later Hornby one is rather better than Tri-ang's (any version), but is spoilt  by the overheight buffers - I keep meaning to try something with mine, but......

• Like 2

Hi II Grifone,

I hope you didn't take it that I was criticising your comment - I only quoted yours as the last one and to pick up the thread.

Please accept my apologies if it looked like a criticism.

All the best.

Hi

No apology needed at all!

Personally I think that the GBL models offer excellent value for money* (even the 28xx - I didn't buy one only because I already had the Hornby original (one day I might get around to a chassis for it!). It remains to be seen how good (or otherwise) the Jinty will be.

* The nearest equivalents are the old Kitmaster kits which cost 10/6d for the larger models - about twice as much In real terms. The wheels were properly spoked and did go around (if assembled with care), but against that they needed painting and lining.........

Regards,

• Like 1

Before attention shifts entirely to the spam can, has nobody done anything with one of the K3 models other than spray some muck onto one?

I'm rather surprised that they received so little attention on here, given that I'm still waiting for some examples that I pre-ordered from the publisher and have been told by them that the delay is due to unexpectedly high levels of demand for the K3. So what has everybody done with them? Nothing?

I posted photos of the one I did in BR colours but that's it for now I have a spare one which may become either a k4 or a complete mess that looks nothing like a k4 depending on how good / bad a job I do of it.

Great British Locomotives Bulleid 'Battle of Britain' 4-6-2 'Winston Churchill'

.....the biggest disappointment is that this GBL 'model' is NOT copied from the more recent Hornby version. This GBL release is copied from the much older Triang Hornby model that originates from the 1980.

Due to this the GBL release suffers from numerous errors perpetuated from its model prototype....

If you're still bent on trying to make a decent appearance out of one, see what Tim Shackleton did to his Triang-Hornby shell in "Plastic Bodied Locos", published by Domestic Duck.

....either a k4 or a complete mess that looks nothing like a k4 ....

See also this thread

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Chichester WHSmiths had a big pile of the BoB/WC this morning and when this series first started I was planning to get quite a few of them.  Took a careful look at one and put it straight back.  Truly appalling (numerous really poor paint jobs in evidence) and a huge disappointment.

Before attention shifts entirely to the spam can, has nobody done anything with one of the K3 models other than spray some muck onto one?

I'm rather surprised that they received so little attention on here, given that I'm still waiting for some examples that I pre-ordered from the publisher and have been told by them that the delay is due to unexpectedly high levels of demand for the K3. So what has everybody done with them? Nothing?

I have one that I will obtain a SEF chassis for and build P4. It will have to wait though as I have to many other things to finish first.

• Like 1

so how many has the weathering man pruchased for mucking up then???

please remember the title of the hobby/industry RAILWAY MODELLING so be creative & make something!

yes before anyone says i have not posted any GBL conversions yet as we have a big pile waitting of a4s and others but my dad has already got the duchess running using an old tender drive loco we had spare so a cheap loco was made up and it looks ok running with coaches behinde it on the layout!

if you want to see some gems go check out steffans stuff the GWR items he`s made recently using GBL & others has set me off too but must get back to finishing my Southern Q class from golden arrow! see my blog on rmweb for pics.

anyway happy modelling!

Fie sirrah! Thou dost extracte the chimpanzee!

'Tis my rightful heritage, my right of simian birth.

(W Shakespeare, The Tragicke Tale of the Burning Monkey, Act II Scene 4)

So how many have I purchased. Fifteen so far and when my supplier get a further stock it will grow to twentyfive. Why have I purchased them - for my own reasons.

I cannot see the point of your comment about the title of the hobby - what exactly is its point.

If you are suggesting I never make anything then I suggest you look at some of my previous posts where I've shown some of my models.

I modify RTR, repaint RTR, build kits of all types (including many Golden Arrow) and scratchbuild.

I'm well aware of the fabulous work done by Stefan and have had several conversations with him - a very talented modeller indeed.

My reviews are intended to tell it like it is with the GBL models - if there is a fault i'll say so but I have many times also suggested ways of using the models also.

There are many modellers out there who will take a GBL model and enjoy some real modelling with them, in some cases not being worried by possible faults as long as the model look reasonably ok when its finished - I do this myself and even convert models to something else that may be less than 100% correct - as long as the resulting model looks right and captures the 'feel' of the real thing then I'm happy. Afterall whats the point of worrying about the odd millimetre here and there if I'm going to run my model on an underscale track gauge anyway - and yes for some years a long time ago I modelled in P4 so I've seen the hobby from many sides.

The comments I make in my reviews have, from feedback received, proved valuable to a lot of fellow modellers - they don't mean I never do anything myself - quite the reverse in fact.

Regards

dear weathering man,

i did not mean to upset you or say that you do not make any models its just the GBL models are a decent price point for fiddling around with much like you surgested in your reveiw there just seems to be alot of people expecting a Bachmann or Hornby top end product for very little money, maybe its just me maybe im the funny one wantting to make something from nothing.

and as for how many you have & what you do with them is UP to you & good luck with them im sure you will make something with them! and above all have some fun! if you enjoy painting & modelling them then thats what its about.

hope you understand now what i was trying to say!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The paint finish on many of the BoB examples I looked at were nothing short of terrible and that after the usual allowance for the GBL usual standards.

Coupled to it being copied from the old Triang-Hornby variant I am leaving this one well alone with a deeply disappointed feeling.

In summary, its a lemon and not even worth a fiver.

That model if definitely based on the last "Margate" style Hornby Railways BoB. It is all very familiar to me!

I think the safety valves were moved at some point in the locos' history? The 3 things in the roof in a "V" shape in front of the dome location?

It could have been worse...These later models had a real motion bracket with functional Slidebars (made from silver metal). The Tri-ang 1960s to 1970s originals had no functional slidebars, they were dummy ones, part of the body moulding!

The late models also had plated metal tyred bogie and driving wheels, and the centre drivers had thin flanges. The original models had flangeless smooth centre drivers.

The chimney hole, open on the original Tri-ang Models (to let the smoke out!) was closed in on the later models. No smoke units!

The rods are also direct copies from the Hornby ones.

The crest is indeed rather large. One good point is that there is no moulded surround to the nameplates and crests like the Tri-ang one has!

The "Southern" ring is again one of the parts missing from the Tri-ang Hornby Southern Railway Liveried models.

The coal load on the original models is a small moulding that clips in place. The GBL is a good copy of the texture there.

The 1970s Tri-ang Hornby Southern Railway Liveried BoB "Winston Churchill". R.869S

gallery_12119_3162_166844.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_351955.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_223757.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_113663.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_69259.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_207003.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain

That reminds me why the Tri-ang body I bought in a misguided moment resides at the bottom of a box somewhere.

Still, to look on the bright side, I've just saved £8.99!

(Must finish my Dublo* motored Airfix kit......)

*A4 chassis to avoid a cab full of of motor

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

I'd hope that the Jinty, being smaller, might be to a higher standard. But will it appear in any numbers?

Right now I'm seeing the money I've committed to rather more expensive future releases - and won't divert elsewhere - are more of a negative influence on the hobby than GBL. :wink_mini:

Edited by Mark Dickerson

I got two battle of Britain's today decoration on both is very good. That said I did leave two behind in Asda that had numbers that were not straight.

I was planning to repaint one in BR green at least the lining should be easier all straight lines no curves or corners. 

However I was hoping the southern railway round thing on the smokebox door would be detachable, it's not its moulded on. Removing it is going to be a bit of a job, not sure whether to try to fit the smokebox door from the Dapol kit instead. But then with all the dimensional errors on this loco I'm not sure whether I would be better just building the Dapol kit.

It's a pity they didn't copy the latest Hornby model surely it would cost the same to copy. It goes to show how much ready to run models have improved in recent years. 20 years ago we would have been perfectly happy with this locomotive. 

Thank you weatheringman for another excellent review nice to have you back.

• Like 1