Big jim's (now dismantled) 12 x 6 shed layout

big jim

• RMweb Gold

fitted the points to the bridge this evening, not secured yet but it all works!

5C023E71-4CDF-45DF-AA04-EFD093AAF21A.jpg

FA8A60EE-1F1F-4D6C-B689-A46F19DF6CB0.jpg

i'm going to have a look at the point motor situation tomorrow before i think about securing the points

while i was doing that i let dominic have a play with my other new toy, a 2nd hand Dapol track cleaner, only did the hoovering but it certainly does the trick

5DA98D7E-A42B-42C2-AC4F-6CF78FB5ABDC.jpg

017514C6-B208-4495-9AAA-8EF035A7F2B8.jpg

hopefully i can get the other pair of points done later in the week 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

had a play with the sony lens camera tonight in the shed making some videos, its very good for getting some unusual angles of the layout but its not very good in low light conditions

colas class 70 doing the honors again, i must get round to adding the decals to the other side!

i need to diffuse the green lights on the points display too, still a bit too bright

i'll give it a go tomorrow in the day if i get a chance with a different loco too

next layout task is the 2 sets of points at the other end of the station

Edited by big jim
  • Like 8

had a play with the sony lens camera tonight in the shed making some videos, its very good for getting some unusual angles of the layout but its not very good in low light conditions

colas class 70 doing the honors again, i must get round to adding the decals to the other side!

i need to diffuse the green lights on the points display too, still a bit too bright

i'll give it a go tomorrow in the day if i get a chance with a different loco too

next layout task is the 2 sets of points at the other end of the station

Great video Jim, love the class70 in Colas livery....on my wish list for sure!

Morning Jim,

Just been playing 'catch-up' so apologies for all the ratings. It occurs to me that you are in the best position work-wise to know what looks right on a model and that is evident in the foregoing images and video. Thank you for the inspiration!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS your Flick'r site has just cost me a couple of hours I'm happy to say!

Edited by Jock67B

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

i've populated the yard with the stuff i bought at warley, been chipping up stuff too other than that nott done much

the electrician has disappeared off the face of the earth though, anyway his loss as the money I'd put aside for that has now gone on a new raised patio area in front of the shed and path so i don't traipse mud in and out of the house when i cross the garden, like most things though its turned into a big job, i'm having the garden levelled and re-turfed too while he's doing it (the re-turfing can wait until after winter though)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new path has been completed, much better now i dont have to walk across the grass to the shed and i have a hard standing directly outside too

13239C27-013E-4A47-8173-E63DF2A5FE61.jpg

I have added some trellis to hide the shed (well once i get something growing up there), obviously there is turf to be added once the ground has been levelled either side of the path and im thinking if putting a wooden arch over the path next to the trellis and then adding another trellis to the other side to futher hide the shed but that can wait til spring once the weather improves

• Like 15

The new path has been completed, much better now i dont have to walk across the grass to the shed and i have a hard standing directly outside too

13239C27-013E-4A47-8173-E63DF2A5FE61.jpg

I have added some trellis to hide the shed (well once i get something growing up there), obviously there is turf to be added once the ground has been levelled either side of the path and im thinking if putting a wooden arch over the path next to the trellis and then adding another trellis to the other side to futher hide the shed but that can wait til spring once the weather improves

Hi Jim, that path looks really neat mate, well done, and yes I think a nice Arch with some Ivy or Roses would look good and help in hiding the Shed.

The work inside looks good too.

• RMweb Gold

just been into the shed to get the christmas turkey out, it is dead but the shed coldest place as the fridge is full!!

while i was in there i put a few bits and bobs from the dining room in there to make space for christmas dinner, i recently bought a few canvas' through wowcher as christmas presents so treated myself to one of a train while i was ordering which i've put up in the shed (as its not allowed in the house!!)

this one is one i had published in rail express of 70806 and a drs 37 in ditton

643604ED-2068-4B47-A073-7E5B63C458C7.jpg

i also got a frame from a charity shop for 50p the other week which i've put a widescreen pic of robin of templecombe on the sinfin tanks, again a pic i've had published in railways illustrated

AA57CE79-4828-4AC3-B05A-141AF61390CB.jpg

got a poster of a colas 60 to put up in the space at the far end too!!

75DA4190-3A88-4598-9853-8C4648445C26.jpg

and onto the layout, i treated myself to a Bachmann "hesk bank" signal box the other week and am trying to decide where to put it, there is only really one place it can go so i can see it in all its glory but i'm wondering how to position it?

i'm going to put it at the end of the island platform but am not sure whether to place it on the floor beyond the end of the platform.....

A7273052-7768-4022-9BD6-FE23A9BDB009.jpg

or extend the platform and place the 'box on it?

8D60BCB9-3B2D-4849-95DA-85FFAA2AEC33.jpg

0FDF354D-CD72-4486-9243-BC9829ABFCF4.jpg

i'm liking it on the platform but wondered whether 'boxes like this were ever built on platforms?

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

or extend the platform and place the 'box on it?

8D60BCB9-3B2D-4849-95DA-85FFAA2AEC33.jpg

0FDF354D-CD72-4486-9243-BC9829ABFCF4.jpg

i'm liking it on the platform but wondered whether 'boxes like this were ever built on platforms?

I can't think off-hand of a box of LMR Type 15 actually on a platform. There were a few directly at the bottom of the ramp, and there was one at Penyffordd where the platform finished abruptly against the box end wall. The steps to the operating floor were from the [latform, whereas the door to the under portion was at the opposite end, not in the usual place under the stairs. Don't forget that if the box is on the platform in an area used by passengers you will need at least 24mm of platform surface on each side. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't think off-hand of a box of LMR Type 15 actually on a platform. There were a few directly at the bottom of the ramp, and there was one at Penyffordd where the platform finished abruptly against the box end wall. The steps to the operating floor were from the [latform, whereas the door to the under portion was at the opposite end, not in the usual place under the stairs. Don't forget that if the box is on the platform in an area used by passengers you will need at least 24mm of platform surface on each side. 

i was thinking of fencing off the plaform end if i placed it on there but now you mention pen-y-ffordd i think i'll go for the on the ground option, shorten the steps to access the box from the platform, i would have to "board up" the door on the end as you say and add another at the other but that should be easy enough, i could however just set the box away from the platform slightly to give me "pedestrian access" to the bottom floor

i've only ever been in pen-y-ffordd box once when i had to borrow a mop, bucket and disinfectant when some dirty article on my bidston bound 153 decided to relieve himself against the cab door rather than walk to the other end of the unit to use the loo, i did however use his jacket to clear up the mess before throwing it and him off at hope 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had an hour in the shed earlier doing a few bits and bobs

First up i finished a job i started yesterday, i've changed the lights in the shed so instead of one row of 4 lights down the centre of the shed ive now got 2 rows of 4 above the layout, just need to extend the wire on the end 2 lights a touch

30B25347-640C-4473-9F6D-EAEFEFB93F27.jpg

Then i went onto a bit of track work, started fitting up the points at the 'south' end of the station, lifted the plain line first....

D2C002AB-A87A-4A95-876C-64EA75653603.jpg

And added in the points

DBD9C322-02E7-48A6-8F34-A6AF0290BAB9.jpg

Refitted the plain line on one side

461FEFC8-C9FB-43E1-B2AF-2AA809B86A83.jpg

And refitted more to the other end of the point

1368BA8B-8E05-4ACD-AAA2-015EEDF258E7.jpg

I can't do the other line yet as i need to change a normal fishplate for an insulated one but it has a blob of solder on it so i can't remove it without using the soldering iron and as im using an extension lead at the moment i can't use the lights and reach the far end of the layout with the solderer at the same time!!

Next up i had a think about the diamond crossover i bought, if i do use it then i think the only place it would be go would be 1/2 way down the platform which would allow me to do 'turnbacks' but really with the points ive added already it will only gain an extra move

If i placed it where as in the picture then i could get a 3 car unit at one end of the scissor (end nearest the camera)

9F24FCB5-5DA6-406E-A21B-A7742A0ED632.jpg

At the other end when i add the planned high level street area/station concourse above the tracks i can create the illusion that the platform continues below it to make it look like a 3 or 4 car is sat in the platform

649000FF-7276-403E-B52B-764BD0FFED2E.jpg

I'll probably not end up using it!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 13