Big jim's (now dismantled) 12 x 6 shed layout

big jim

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely crackin Jim.............love the sound video.

bet you dont get any scenery built for months now that you have trains running...!!!

Bob.

i thought i had a problem with the 37 as it took ages to get up to speed and even longer to stop, then i remembered i'd lent it to you and the CVs had been 'bob'd'!!

a quick reset sorted it

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

Managed to lay the final pieces of track earlier which has allowed me to now run trains in opposite directions for the first time, had to do a little bit of track tweaking just inside the hidden area as the coaches kept coming off but it turned out the wheel flanges were merely catching the insulated fishplate, riding up and derailing, i managed to straighten the track out a touch which removed a very slight kink at the fishplate end which seems to have cured it

The missing link is filled......

849ACE43-D499-42B0-BFAA-525E2EAD9AC7.jpg

And a couple of videos

Next job is to make a start on the shed area or possibly do the points motors in the yard

• Like 9

Afternoon Jim,

Just found this thread after visiting your 'Colas' thread where I sought some help some days ago (thankful but also must apologise for the rather inappropriate interruption there!). Must say that I'm astounded by the amount of work you have managed to do considering the amount of time you spend all over the countryside in the 12inch to the foot versions! Superb, look forward to the updates and I have to say it must be really entertaining to watch the trains running round such a length of track - totally inspiring.

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

been a while since i did an update but being as im off on the sick for a week after an operation i've got a bit of time to do a bit to the layout

decided to finally crack on with the shed area, i had loosly mounted it on a piece of foam board but decided the final fit will be on wooden legs so i can get underneath to fit point motors, lights etc

the first thing was to cut a couple of holes in the lower baseboard to be able to reach through when required

574D44AD-4E51-4741-90DD-24A878DD1518.jpg

i then run a baton of wood along the rear edge (on the front of the upper deck) curving it up towards where the board meets the high level

D3D745C3-039D-456C-9F9E-A476810A63A3.jpg

i then added legs to the outer edge of the depot area at regular intervals, ive still got to add some extra cross bracing to the underside of the board but it is pretty rigid as it is

3029F41C-0FFA-49AC-8E5D-784CB3723A88.jpg

when i come to actually laying the track im going to reuse the shed i built for my old chiltern depot however this time it will be turned 180 degrees and a new door added to the blank end

CA392086-C15D-4CDA-8FB6-D2D8890A31E6.jpg

and this is the idea for the track set up....

0C717085-A258-4D47-9407-BA9F109DAC0D.jpg

3 tracks running into the shed with a line running back uphill to a fuelling area.......

93B6C266-A5FE-496B-94FD-1DFDC0AD40CA.jpg

then to finish off i screwed a hook into the garage wall

845359F0-14B3-470B-92F5-6D4ACF4C7CC4.jpg

so when the adjacent shed door is open i can hold it open using the hasp!

63454CFC-F34B-462A-8746-6634025975C9.jpg

• Like 10

Hello mate, hope your alright. Didn't know you were having an Op. Nothing to serious I hope. Nothing like a bit of modelling for some convalescing. I did think it was strange no one was telling me off for being to slow last night on the S Stock LOL!!

Layouts coming along nicely by the looks of things. Trouble is we spend too much time playing with the big trains rather than the little ones.

Get well soon.

Cheers

Marcus.

• RMweb Gold

last night i cut the track down to the required lengths as well as drilling the holes for the point motors, it is all fitted loose as i need to remove the board to fit the motors (once i've wired them up)

i also cut the 3 doors in the end of the shed

5A9B80EC-F740-41BD-984D-ED7095A90A5F.jpg

the shed is so tall as it is based on chilterns wembley depot that has the offices above the running lines, i will be making some sort of pedestrian bridge across the station in due course

A11460EC-D1AF-441B-9EA2-A157452AF651_1.j

9E531FCA-441E-4793-AB51-2514488F502A.jpg

one thing i forgot to do was make provisions for the peco inspection pits i have but thats just a case of cutting out the slots for them which i'll do later along with fitting the point motors, one final thing is to plane the transition between the high level board and ramp slightly so as to make a bit smoother incline

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

there is room to move the shed back but where it is allows a single class 66 to fit between the points and shed front with a bit of room to spare

the other end of the shed has 2 doors which i wanted to be able to have a loco parked outside too, it is however only a shunter length of track sticking out that end!!

• Like 1

Jim,

Great to see you back in action, even if only in 4mm scale. Very impressive work indeed. Hope you are back to normal soon and look forward to the next set of pics whatever the scale!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jim

Just a thought................if you replaced the three way point with a double slip, you could then access all shed roads from the fuelling point that is in a similar position to that which it is in now.

Bob.

Edited by 250BOB
  • Like 2