Big jim's (now dismantled) 12 x 6 shed layout

big jim

• RMweb Gold

Jim

I haven't used the ESU turnout decoders but when I have had problems programme g the Digitrax ones I will often do a factory default reset and start again.

Ian

i forgot to say i even tried it with a new decoder straight out of the box to eliminate an output problem but still nothing, it got the 12V pulse when i pushed the button so im wondering if its a motor issue, i wired a load up in a batch but if i wired the first up wrong then the rest may be the same, they look like they are right though

marcus, its a bit rough and ready as it was done before the real thing was unveiled but here is the 70, needs the black changing below the windows and the fan boxes that mick newbryford did for me adding to the sides

8DA12407-CF5F-4E9D-BDD2-27ABFB103105.jpg

A894EC26-B94A-4FF2-B2E6-80E50006B3CF.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Got to the bottom of the problem with the accessory decoder, some silly article who shall remain nameless while batch soldering a load of points motors wired the negative wire to the wrong tab, took me doing a lot of fault finding and swapping wires between the working decoders to find out, anyway rewired them and now i have working points!

Finally i can get on with getting the last bit of track down

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

not much photographically to update, after sorting the decoder i test fitted the top piece of board

the rear point is going to need one of my led points indicators fitting as it is going to be hidden so i wont be able to see the position of the points

710C9F3B-0B2B-4B30-8979-3A38C1658AFC.jpg

i prewired and fixed the point to the top board last year, again wrongly, so i rewired it earlier ready to be fited once ive done the point indicator for the lower point

43E26075-4EAC-47C3-84B0-F6617F8D92E2.jpg

and in loosely place

107FC790-19EB-4F6C-BE67-4AACB4017A2F.jpg

you can see how close it is to getting the full circuit round

92B43760-EA7B-4AE8-871C-CA71680A61EB.jpg

may well try and get some more done tomorrow as i've actually got a day off!!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

a quick hour or so in the shed earlier, got the points indicator done and fitted up the top board

wired it up to the points....

E5EEE42B-04B3-4F91-B02D-B4E97ACC53D4.jpg

and fitted the panel to the layout side this time rather than above the layout as with the bigger panel.

they light up red for the diverging route into the yard

F7B652F9-1114-44B2-B543-87023F8325D5.jpg

and green for the mainline

CE65A8AA-ABA2-447D-9D61-E33C7E517C2F.jpg

i then fitted up the top board....

41A8BA5A-E6DD-4FF6-B804-7A2454F538D1.jpg

so near to getting the top bit of track finished

E0DED4C8-1B3E-40C8-964A-FCEDAE94F774.jpg

maybe tomorrow!!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I have wired the positive sides of the led strips to the outer rail of the points, the red strip to the diverging side and the green to the mainline side, i then joined the negatives on the 2 strips together and then wired the single feed from them to the inner heel part of the point which changes polarity when the blade is thrown.

that way only one strip lights up at a time as it is dependant on the polarity of the frog, or doesnt light at all if there is no electrical feed.

if you go back a couple of pages you can see some pics of the big panel i made with a few pics of the strips loosley wired to the track which explain it better

I have wired the positive sides of the led strips to the outer rail of the points, the red strip to the diverging side and the green to the mainline side, i then joined the negatives on the 2 strips together and then wired the single feed from them to the inner heel part of the point which changes polarity when the blade is thrown.

that way only one strip lights up at a time as it is dependant on the polarity of the frog, or doesnt light at all if there is no electrical feed.

if you go back a couple of pages you can see some pics of the big panel i made with a few pics of the strips loosley wired to the track which explain it better

So not wired from a switch attached to the point motor then.....interesting.

I'll give this some thought.......I'll need to brush up on the LED strips.

Have a good weekend.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Done a bit more earlier, basically got the final bit of track in on one of the lines so i now have a full circuit

The first thing was to fill the gap on the aproach to the points

12A062A2-95E2-4A66-9372-3B3F295F155E.jpg

6D7C6776-2244-4931-9144-A907B66BE9CE.jpg

I then fitted the track on the inner line which joined to the existing track in the station to complete the full loop

8775C555-B344-496D-A5A9-CB438DC0486A.jpg

Going back to the other line im only this much short to getting that complete, i have a piece of track that will fit in there but have ran out of fishplates and there are no local model shops open til wednesday

84F9CDEF-2BAD-4C15-87D6-A8C716EC3562.jpg

I also need a couple more lengths of track to complete the rear loop and thats the mainline done, after that its a bit of fine fettling and i can then get on with fitting up the shed area woodwork and i can begin track laying in there too

I also spent a bit if time this afternoon doing a bit of house keeping, threw loads of stuff away from both on top of and below the layout, tidied up my tools, sorted the wood stack out etc so i could go in the shed without standing on stuff or knocking it off the top!

Much better looking....

204D44CD-DD36-466A-B9A8-AF40C3A4CC78.jpg

A nice shot of the 70 testing the track, crossing the removable section in the sunlight

352176A6-EB33-4F0B-BE7A-514B4430C26D.jpg

And while i was about it i gave the 33 a run on the incomplete 'down' line hauling my rake of detailed hachette mk1s, it quite surprisingly pulled them up the inclines with ease, it does however need its wheels cleaning as it was a bit tempramental in places, the hachettes ran well too with the replacement Hornby wheels fitted, didnt derail at all!

FA7F409C-E653-4FDF-9DA6-F60083BA1FBD.jpg

And a video of the class 70 having a run round the layout with a short rake of ballast wagons

So once trident trains opens again on wednesday i'll pop up for the last few bits of track and fishplates and get the 2nd circuit finished, really pleased to have finally got trains running

• Like 18

Congratulations Jim................always a big moment when you get to run a train full circuit for the first time.

Looks really good.......great bit of video......looking forward to future productions........some on board camera stuff like we used to do here...!!!

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

another 'test train' this time model rail limited edition 37409 pulling a nice rake of hachette MK1s (and Bachmann brake end with missing/loose windows)

this ran surprisingly well, in fact the coach that fell off most before i fine tuned bits of track was the bachy one, the 37 is sound chipped with a V4 howes 37/4 chip which stopped working towards the end of the session, i think it may have overheated as i never turned the volume down after doing a reset on it

the only item of rolling stock that i have tried which really doesnt want to play ball is a kit built brass RHTT train, there is not enough free movement in the bogies on the curves, i'm sure i can cure it but there is no rush as there is plenty more i need to do before i bring more stock into the shed!!

• Like 17