Big jim's (now dismantled) 12 x 6 shed layout

big jim

I don't know how I have missed your thread before Jim, but I have just sat and read through it all. It looks superb so far. Very impressed with with the shed and your woodworking skills. I love the simplicity of the lift out section at the door.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. Meanwhile I'm off to measure the garden to see if I can fit another shed in!

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The original problem with putting the points before the bridge was that the points would be in the hidden section and the track is curved, however now im going to put crossovers in the hidden bit anyway i may well look at doing that using the curved point i bought

• RMweb Gold

The risers are very good, takes all the guesswork out of the job

Will have to see how the track secures to it when i get to that part, i think long track pins should help secure it nicely and once its ballasted it should be bery secure

Hi Jim,

Layout is looking great!

Out of interest, how are you finding the risers? Are they easy to use? I'm tempted to get them to put in an incline on my layout - seems a lot easier than doing it by hand...

MAtt

I originally used these risers etc., using the 1:48 gradient set.....they fitted the bill perfectly, nice smooth inclines, variably curves....trouble was that 1:48 was too steep for some of the steam engines with 6 coaches or 20 freight wagons.

Diesels no problem !!!!!!

Eventually I did away with them all, but they are a great starting point, especially if your woodworking skills are limited.

Bob.

The risers are very good, takes all the guesswork out of the job

Will have to see how the track secures to it when i get to that part, i think long track pins should help secure it nicely and once its ballasted it should be bery secure

Copydex Jim.......sets in less than an hour, only need a few dabs every 4 or 5 inches or so, just a few books on top for 20 mins....done.!!!!

Dead easy to lift if your unhappy with anything too.

Bob.

You beat me to it Bob, I was going to suggest the same thing. The only trouble with copydex is the smell.

I've not had a problem with the 2% risers with most of my steam locos but I'm limited to 4 coaches due to the size of the layout. The WC has a characteristic wheel slip if I try starting it on the slope.

Ray.

You beat me to it Bob, I was going to suggest the same thing. The only trouble with copydex is the smell.

I've not had a problem with the 2% risers with most of my steam locos but I'm limited to 4 coaches due to the size of the layout. The WC has a characteristic wheel slip if I try starting it on the slope.

Ray.

Hi Ray......the older it gets , the worse the smell.....I'm familiar with this product through my days of making water based based for ceramics and glass.

It does go off once the bacteria starts to get to work........really bad after a while.

But it does a cracking job....I use it on walling, scenery and other bits....and its easy to take apart if you make a mess.

Well you will go getting these lightweight southern pacifics......just like the real thing though.!!

Bob.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

simple question so i can think about retaining walls, what does a 2% incline equate to in 1: in something, looking at merkur walls and they do incline as well as straight walls which are approx 1:25

simple question so i can think about retaining walls, what does a 2% incline equate to in 1: in something, looking at merkur walls and they do incline as well as straight walls which are approx 1:25

2 in 100, or 1 in 50 (I think!)

1:25 = 2:50 = 4:100 = 4%

I have to convert those pesky percentages on road signs into English to make sense of how steep a hill is, but I'm usually half way up, or down, before I work it out!!!

1 in 50

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

Tomorrow is going to be a blitz day on the layout, i was hoping to get a full week tinkering next week as the family are away on hols and i was hoping to be on my regular late turn but i've been put on days instead so i will only get a couple of hours in the evening to play, i suppose driving a 56 through the lune gorge every day makes up for it a bit!!

Anyway this mornin i couldn't resist temptation and the blue boxes on the shelf where shouting "open me, open me, open me" so i got my BP tankers and colas 66 out to see if they would fit in what i hope will be the longest siding in the yard

They should just about go in once the points are in situ

null-159.jpg

But not with a loco on.....

null-160.jpg

Then for a bit of fun i moved the lot over to the double curve to see how it looks climbing the incline, im going to cant the track up there by 1mm which should look good but this is it as it stands (obviously its going to be double track)

null-161.jpg

null-162.jpg

Got some more supplies from trident including the Bachmann shunters cabin which is going to be integral to how i lay the tracks in the yard

• Like 14

Looking Good there Jim. GBRf 66 would look better though LOL!! Thanks for the picture of the Grid by the way, nice night shot. When I get round to getting my up to date stock chipped I'm sure a nice Colas Grid will look right at home in the timber siding in Kyle of Lochwilliam. Just got to make sure my GBRf 66 don't go over the side of the base board with the Alcan tanks though. I'm with you this week on days so won't get much done to my layout. On a Hams Hall - Willesden all week. Beats being a DSM by a long way though!!!

See you soon mate.

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

had a bit of time on the layout so decided to make a start by laying the points to the yard from the mainline, i was then going to make a start on building the legs for the high level part but got a bit distracted....

i started to lay the points in the yard

null-169.jpg

that end of the yard will have the Bachmann shunters mess room

null-170.jpg

i then layed the outer sidings in the yard

null-173.jpg

and the points to the inner sidings

null-172.jpg

i then added the inner sidings, one of which is a dead end

null-174.jpg

i cut the track using todays car boot bargain, £3 draper multi tool

null-171.jpg

checked the sidings to see how long the trains could be, considering i haven't planned it at all the sidings are just right for the trains i have, the longest being the tanks, which fit in the siding with the loco now, the shorter sidings will take the autoballaster rake nicely without a loco

null-175.jpg

null-176.jpg

looking good from the entrance

null-177.jpg

and the other end

null-178.jpg

as i was on a roll i decided to carry on with the wiring, drilled the holes for the droppers

null-179.jpg

and wired the droppers in place

null-180.jpg

null-181.jpg

i then connected all the above wires into 2 chocolate block connectors and attached it to the controller and.........

bingo....... in the words of Snap, ."i got the power"

null-182.jpg

the yard is totally independant to the rest of the layout as it enters via the up and leaves by the down so has isolating fishplates at both ends, when it becomes part of the layout the droppers will be wired to the gaugemaster reverse loop module i bought today

in all a good day

Edited by big jim
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

done a bit more to the layout over the weekend, basically laid the track up the bank and relaid the hidden section with the crossovers for the yard.

the first thing i did was to fit cork to the bank, while i did it i added a cant to the track which looks good on the double curve, the cant is about 1MM which is slightly exagerated but looks good with a train running on it

once glue securing the cork was dry i gave the whole embankment a coat of B&Q clay paint as a base, couple of £1 tester pots worth, looks ok, once its ballasted and grassed it should prevent the white plaster showing through

null-184.jpg

in the hidden section i have added 2 sets of crossovers to allow trains to cross from the down to up and vice versa after leaving the yard, only wired them temporarily to see they were live throughout which they are so i will wire the relevent sections up properly when i get a chance, here is the Bachmann 57 checking the tracks, it fell off a few times coz of rough track laying so i lifted it in places and adjusted the tracks about which cured the problem

null-183.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

hopefully not too long bob!

this evenings job was to fit some pcb to the incline end and the same again on the removable section to which ive soldered the rail and cut it with the multi tool so i now have rails running onto the high level part of removable section

next job is wire the track in the removable section and continue the rails round onto the low level part of the removable section, hopefully start on that tomorrow evening (working the sinfin tanks tomorrow daytime!)

hopefully not too long bob!

this evenings job was to fit some pcb to the incline end and the same again on the removable section to which ive soldered the rail and cut it with the multi tool so i now have rails running onto the high level part of removable section

next job is wire the track in the removable section and continue the rails round onto the low level part of the removable section, hopefully start on that tomorrow evening (working the sinfin tanks tomorrow daytime!)

Good to see you today through Uttoxeter in charge of the tanks again.

The leaves on the trees are making it more difficult to view from the business units.

My grand daughter was suitably overwhelmed at the sight of you driving the 66......she needs more "training". :no:

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Done a little bit more, had a look at the removable section and have started to lay the track on it

First job was to put a bridge deck on the high part using a sheet of ply then i added some pcb to the edge of the boards to solder the track to, the first piece i did was a bit overkill though but the track is moving nowhere as i've screwed the pcb down as well as the soldering (i may redo this bit)

null-187.jpg

(Got to clean the flux off it)

null-186.jpg

For the other side i thought i'd try doing smaller strips of pcb, ive not yet soldered the track to them or cut through the rails but i'm hoping that it will be enough to hold the track in place

null-188.jpg

Slowly getting there!!

null-185.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 9