C&M Models commission Scotrail Mark 3s

Mike at C&M

The answer strictly speaking should be yes, but it will be hardly discernible in 'N'

These look really good, and despite being a million miles (well, several hundred) from my main modelling interests, I'm very tempted to get some - I've always had a soft spot for this livery! 

However, I really would say you do need to insist on the cantrail lining on this. The lining features on all the other Dapol mk.3 releases I've seen so far, so not only would I say it is not "hardly discernible", it is in fact conspicuous by its absence! 

However, I really would say you do need to insist on the cantrail lining on this. The lining features on all the other Dapol mk.3 releases I've seen so far, so not only would I say it is not "hardly discernible", it is in fact conspicuous by its absence! 

A certain gentleman who has been involved with this project through its' development has contacted me to say that despite the narrowness of the line, it can easily be done, if I mention this to his former employer when I report on the amendments I require to the livery samples.

• Like 2

I too am impressed

The Dark Executive Grey looks to be correct, as the earlier (darker) shade was used
None of the ScotRail livery coaches ever had the later (lighter) falcon grey that was applied to those in INTERCITY livery
An easier comparison would be with the Dapol InterCity 125 HST power car or InterCity125 coach

As for the cantrail stripe, I have checked numerous photos and it is only slightly visible when coaches were clean
However, most were not clearly visible due to the levels of dirt

My only concern is the ScotRail map in the toilet windows
It is too plain and as a result is more noticeable as missing the map
Equally, these were applied as stickers on the outside of the windows
Perhaps this would be a better option as a transfer

Superb so far - order now placed for 2 sets.........

But, how easy would it be for the manufacturer to change the plastic they use for the glazing from clear to a slight tint? 

i can perhaps predict problems in that the door droplights werent not from memory tinted and i dont think the glazing would be in say 3 parts ie; two ends in clear and the main central section in tint so as a compromise i could live with the whole coach being tinted given that the tinted windows are in the majority.

that would really set em off for little if no extra cost.....same mouldings just different raw mats.

unlike the cant rail referred to earlier, the tinted windows are only too obvious in those proto pics. the silver surrounds would contrast nicely too.

i take it the roof variances have been discussed elsewhere at length ie; Dapol only make tooling for the HST cars not loco hauled?

Edited by ThaneofFife

i take it the roof variances have been discussed elsewhere at length ie; Dapol only make tooling for the HST cars not loco hauled?

Yes, you are correct (and it has been discussed at length elsewhere - not financially viable to do the loco-hauled roof design, apparently)

But, how easy would it be for the manufacturer to change the plastic they use for the glazing from clear to a slight tint? 

i can perhaps predict problems in that the door droplights werent not from memory tinted and i dont think the glazing would be in say 3 parts ie; two ends in clear and the main central section in tint so as a compromise i could live with the whole coach being tinted given that the tinted windows are in the majority.

I wonder if anyone has tried removing the window moulding on a Dapol Mk.3 and airbrushing it with Tamiya "smoke" paint, which is designed for the tint on aircraft glazing? Don't know if this would work better on the inside face (safer) or the outside (more realistic)? I tried this on the inside of an old Poole Farish clear Mk.2 to get it to match the later BachFar Mk2s that were made from tinted plastic - the result was OK

Do mark 3s have a noticeable tint? Surely it's nothing like that on the air-conditioned mark 2s which is definitely worth modelling.

Noticeable?  Hmm thats very subjective but to my eyes the tint however slight would be conspicuous by its absence if they went with a completely clear window.

a quick look at the photo in post#101 a few posts up will reveal a pretty conclusive answer........

• 2 weeks later...

The final specification has been agreed:

The orange cantrail will be put on.

Tinted windows will not be done

The colour/finish of the dark grey window band is to be checked.

Over the weekend, I was at a dinner attended by Chris Greene,, the head of ScotRail at the time these coaches ran. He too was impressed with models. Nice to get some approval from the top!

Edited by 87029
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Equally, shame about the update on the Farish 47/7 and DBSO, and looking like a complete rake won't be possible until late 2015
Looks like my older 47/7s and Electra concerted DBSO will need to soldier on for a further year

Equally, my two HSTs are still sitting incomplete, awaiting TGS and TRFM / TRSB
Looks like one of these rakes will have to compromise with a TRSB instead of TRFM, and hopefully at some point the TGS

I had hoped to have all this in place ready for the winter of 2014
On the plus side this will release the planned funds (sorry C&M Models) for immediate repainting of the other locos until the Farish items arrive

That just leaves the revised Farish 37/4, which should arrive around the same time as these Dapol ScotRail coaches...

Dapol have advised me that the ScotRail Mark 3 coach sets should arrive with us at the end of February/beginning of March.

Last call for advance orders.......

Your website says you are shut until the 27th.

Have you seen a completed sample? Given the elementry mistakes Dapol have made with the IC executive Mk3s and the Virgin TRSB I am getting a bit twitchy! 

If this goes OK how about a box set of ICE named Mk3b Pullmans?

Have you seen a completed sample?

See Post #90 on page 4 for some pictures of the livery samples. The only change will be the addition of the very thin orange cantrail band.

We are doing some photographic work on Saturday for adverts, so I shall try and get further pictures posted soon after that.

Thats handy Mike, I will be working back and forth between Glasgow and Sheffield at the beginning of March So I'll probably break my journey and pop in one day to collect, and possibly exercise the card that little bit further.

Ive been very restrained these last few months   :biggrin_mini2:

Currently experimenting with a Dapol Mk3 to tint the main windows.  Looking at the above photo of the ScotRail Mk3 the tint looks quite dark in comparison but I think in scale terms if you went that dark in N gauge you would not be able to see into the coach.

Will post a photo once all the windows are done but I think its looking quite a lot better for it.

On this particular model I am sure the no smoking decals should be higher up on the windows.

Mk3008_zps4a17defe.jpg

Edited by ThaneofFife

Currently experimenting with a Dapol Mk3 to tint the main windows.  Looking at the above photo of the ScotRail Mk3 the tint looks quite dark in comparison but I think in scale terms if you went that dark in N gauge you would not be able to see into the coach.

Will post a photo once all the windows are done but I think its looking quite a lot better for it.

On this particular model I am sure the no smoking decals should be higher up on the windows.

Mk3008_zps4a17defe.jpg

I think you're right that going darker wouldn't look as good.  I think this photo compares quite well to the tinting level you've achieved:

3330559140_83dfa2006e_z.jpg

40754 St Pancras by Banbury Bob, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)

With regard to modifying the interior of the CO so that it has half first and half standard class seating, has anyone actually managed to dismantle a Dapol Mk3 down to the level of removing the seating without damaging anything? I've just tried and haven't managed it! The roof comes off without problem, but I couldn't get the glazing out - it's in several sections with bars across the top (and part of the same moulding as the windows) holding it in place, and the sections seem to be so tightly wedged in that they wouldn't come out without using a lot of force - I gave up because any more force than I tried would probably have broken them.

Admittedly I'm hardly the most skilled at this sort of thing, but has anyone else managed it successfully?