RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

Besides the woman who ducks under once the barriers are down, what about all the lemmings running to duck under as the barriers come down, I noticed that they were all still on the other side of the crossing... how pointless, not to mention stupid!

• RMweb Gold

The problem should gradually decrease so long as these idiots remove themselves from the gene pool before they breed.

John

Take down all the warning signs, improve the gene pool!

• Like 2

Come on folks, let's remember it'snot their fault. Somebody else is to blame. Who? Probably the government or the selfish sod who invented railways! Unfortunately the safer everything is made for the braindead themore they will show how stupid they can be. If only there was some way to protect the train drivers from the horror of watching these morons, and worse.

• Like 1

Oh, just had an idea ( that's rare ) instead of having barriers and big red flashing lights at level crossings , why not use really highpowered lasers?

By the time the train gets there the remains would just be dust . Now is that thinking outside the box or what?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The problem should gradually decrease so long as these idiots remove themselves from the gene pool before they breed.

It's not pleasant reading replies like this. CCTV from other days would show that the vast majority of people do behave sensibly, so how about a bit less jumping to conclusions? That person may have learning difficulties, or some other mental disability. And not necessarily genetic, it could be from a head injury.

Just be thankful you have a fully-functioning brain and the wits to understand the world around you.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

It's not pleasant reading replies like this. CCTV from other days would show that the vast majority of people do behave sensibly, so how about a bit less jumping to conclusions? That person may have learning difficulties, or some other mental disability. And not necessarily genetic, it could be from a head injury.

Just be thankful you have a fully-functioning brain and the wits to understand the world around you.

Martin.

Quite honestly Martin you would have to be reasonably agile to jump off a station platform like that and even more so to climb back onto one.  The final person in the clip appeared t be inebriated and was rather oddly heading towards a platform which was on the other side of a train - however judging by his attitude of surprise when he landed I did wonder if he was from beyond our shores and had expected a much lower platform level.

Some of the others looked like little more than very stupid so called 'bravado' and they seemed to know exactly what they were doing - I for one sincerely hope that they were collared and prosecuted as I would far sooner see such idiots standing in the dock than I would be shoving various parts of their anatomy into a black plastic sack; once is more than enough of that thank you very much.  I'm sorry if my attitude appears harsh but I have seen the results of such stupid behaviour and I have had to contend with the mentally ill - they are very different and the latter usually involves lots of hesitation and indecision in my experience.  And I have had to deal with Drivers who suffered the long term mental effects of running into such idiots or - in one case - the unguarded small child of such folk. 

• RMweb Gold

I for one sincerely hope that they were collared and prosecuted as I would far sooner see such idiots standing in the dock than I would be shoving various parts of their anatomy into a black plastic sack

No argument with that Mike. I was responding to the unpleasant post I quoted. A decapitated kid has a mum and dad, whether he was drunk or not. They might even read RMweb.

Martin.

I was actually in the public gallery at Canterbury Crown Court when Mr.Alston's case was being heard.

Had the CPS brought the alternative charge of driving without due care and attention, then he would almost certainly have been found guilty, but that charge cannot be heard in a crown court, only magistrates! The usual penalty is a Fixed Penalty Notice, £60 fine and 3 points. The judge pointed that out in his summing up.

I met Mr.Alston; he didn't strike me as senile. He's a lifelong RHDR supporter and was surprised that a train was running that early in the morning! It could be that the RHDR should fit low level repeater lights as those fitted high cannot be seen in the morning with the sun right behind them.

The CCTV from the adjacent SPAR shop clearly showed the sequence of events, including the defendant clearly going out of the shop, carefully starting his car, carefully reversing out of the car park and into the road. an oncoming car stopped to let him have right of way, but he failed to look properly at the crossing lights. That in itself is dangerous, but his driving was probably not dangerous. I say that as a professional driver, and ex-railway driver and RHDR member! Careless, yes.

I've heard the RHDR has now obtained funding for barriers at the remaining unfitted level crossings.

• Like 2

Guest Bob S

I was actually in the public gallery at Canterbury Crown Court when Mr.Alston's case was being heard.

Had the CPS brought the alternative charge of driving without due care and attention, then he would almost certainly have been found guilty, but that charge cannot be heard in a crown court, only magistrates! The usual penalty is a Fixed Penalty Notice, £60 fine and 3 points. The judge pointed that out in his summing up................................

A good post. It's nice to read an objective and well informed assessment of the incident. Perhaps the Court was wise in this case, IMHO.

Cheers Bob

Edited by Bob S

• RMweb Gold

interesting read roy, ok, you say his driving wasn't dangerous, he's not senile etc but why was he allowed to sit next to his barrister and why are we paying his costs?

strikes me as he(or his legal team) knew how to play the system by getting it in to the crown court knowing he wouldn't (or couldn't) get the sentence that he should have had coming to him had it gone to magistates and it would be thrown out

the whole thing bloody well stinks to high heaven!!

you say that the RHDR should fit low level lights at the crossings, heres an idea get the ever upstanding Mr Alston, being a lifelong supporter to dip into his obviously very deep pockets and shell out for a few to be fitted, probably cheaper than the cost of a lawyer for his next court apperance!!

• Like 2

I met Mr.Alston; he didn't strike me as senile. He's a lifelong RHDR supporter and was surprised that a train was running that early in the morning!

Doesn't part of the Railways LRO state that the first train of the day has to run at 15mph, so they run one of the diesels with the tool van as a track inspection train, which is what kept waking me up at 6am when we stayed at Dungeness.

• RMweb Gold

Just heard on the radio:

"Network Rail should aim for zero deaths on level crossings"

No sh1t Sherlock, what were they aiming for?

Ed

I wonder what motorists and pedestrians should be aiming for then? Sloppy sensationalist reporting yet again.

Mike.

In the case of Elsenham, that was truly tragic and when an accident occurs due to either human or mechanical failings, it is perfectly acceptable that someone should be held accountable. What I find distasteful is any suggestion that NR should somehow carry the can with regard to deaths and injuries as a result of drink, drugs or lack of grey matter.

• Like 1

What is it about reporters (and at least one court) that they blame National Rail rather than people who do something reckless ?

Because it's easy to blame a sometimes faceless corporation. If they blamed the "victim" on camera or in print, I doubt they would have a journalism career beyond reporting on a fete for a local rag. Don't forget, we live in an age where somebody always has to be to blame for everything. Apparently, there are no "accidents" any more. Progress, eh?

I wonder what motorists and pedestrians should be aiming for then? Sloppy sensationalist reporting yet again.

Mike.

A good point, Mike. If we all individually tried to live with the aim of zero injuries, then nothing would ever get done. I'm going to be blasted from a height for suggesting this but we have to accept a level of injuries and deaths on the roads and railways if we want to enjoy the freedom of travelling that we currently have. 

Jon

• Like 1

There was a fatality recently at an AHB near Oxford when the car broke down on the crossing, the driver couldn't get it moving and one of the occupants was a wheelchair user so couldn't get out in the short time before the barriers descended and a train arrived.  That would seem to be a truly unusual set of circumstances where despite all reasonably practicable measures being taken there was still an accident.  Which didn't prevent someone on another forum arguing that it was a reason all crossings should become MCB/CCTV types. 

• RMweb Gold

There was a recent incident at a crossing in Suffolk where a person died, initially it looked like an accident then a "friend" was going to be charged with murder but this was dropped to assisting suicide - not sure what NR can do to prevent such incidents so the count is never going to be zero.