Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

Having gone back to the original  article. The Railway offences would definitely have carried the most serious sentence, which I think carries life.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Having gone back to the original  article. The Railway offences would definitely have carried the most serious sentence, which I think carries life.

Shouldn't there be very large inverted commas round the word "life" when talking about a judicial sentence ........ nobody actually gets locked up for life nowadays, whatever they've done ! ( and they seem to get spat back out into society after a couple of years anyway )

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Shouldn't there be very large inverted commas round the word "life" when talking about a judicial sentence ........ nobody actually gets locked up for life nowadays, whatever they've done ! ( and they seem to get spat back out into society after a couple of years anyway )

A surprising number are now serving what is known as a whole life tarrif and will only leave in a box. 

Back to railways, quite a while ago two idiots got agrieved with the Ratty for some reason and dumped a bag of track spikes between the rails. They then gotbon a yacht and sailed down the coast.  They were arrested at Millom and werecrather surprised to appear at Carlisle Crown Court charged with endangering  life on the railway. They drew a few years each. Fortunately the next train up the line was able to stop in time.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 3

27 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A surprising number are now serving what is known as a whole life tarrif and will only leave in a box. 

Surprisingly large or surprisingly small?  I get the feeling that whatever the number I won't be particularly surprised...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Titan said:

Surprisingly large or surprisingly small?  I get the feeling that whatever the number I won't be particularly surprised...

75 or so against over 8500 serving life (figures from a Google serach, 2017/8). Looking at the Wiki page I doubt any of the charges above would qualify for a whole life tariff, it's very specific and only for some types of murder.

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Are we wandering a little off topic? I only ask because the title is Level Crossing Stupidity, and we seem to have got into the realms of automatic gearboxes and opinions on how they behave.

• Agree 5

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Maybe I can get away with another US level crossing incident in amongst gearboxgate?

Why not? The thread is about level crossing stupidity, no nationality is specified in the thread title!

• Agree 1

But it is in the section of the forum "UK Prototype Discussions (not questions)", though I agree it would be better in a general section so we could post any country... Though looking back through the thread it's location of the forum hasn't stopped anyone before!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To keep as many people happy as possible, what we really need is a level crossing incident caused by an automatic gearbox failure................................

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

To keep as many people happy as possible, what we really need is a level crossing incident caused by an automatic gearbox failure................................

......perpetrated by a convicted murderer who was released early.....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Only allowed if the trampoline is certified as 'stupid' and happens to be on a level crossing when the train collides with it.

You could start a 'Train Bounces off Trampoline'  thread I s'pose !!?!

Maybe that's where this one is going? 

Andi

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...