Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TinTracks said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/live-crash-redcar-level-crossing-29091392

This just happened this morning. Not entirely sure that it's correct for this thread. The ''word'' is that the barriers, which slide across the road, were open to road traffic. Nobody hurt .

Rich.

Motorist would still be at fault if the wig wags were working correctly. 

If they weren't it's presumably either a wrong-side failure or a SPAD.

This one must warranr investigation - it will be interesting to see the RAIB report which I assume will be produced in due course.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Motorist would still be at fault if the wig wags were working correctly. 

Hmm. There's lots of ''chat'' on the local FB pages. I've lived in the area for 65 years and know the crossing well. Not so very long back( couple of months?) the road was closed for a week or so to install new equipment at the crossing.

Eyewitness 'opinions' are that the red lights were flashing but the gates didn't slide across to close. The passenger train that collided with the car would have been slowing down to stop at Redcar Central Station (yes we've got two!)  If this had been a Boulby Potash train going at some 'lick' through the crossing I fear that the outcome would have been tragic.

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I couldn't see any barriers, and I am intrigued by the statement that they "slide across the road".

Jonathan

It's an unusual level crossing, the barriers are parallel to the railway lines and do slide across the road when they close.  I can't remember the reason for it and have never seen anything like it elsewhere in this country, but have seen similar (old fashioned) ones in France for example.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6161949,-1.0682239,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMSKQhvPKS8ucg9YQlTkq9g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0&entry=ttu

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

slide across the road".

Ahhh. Apologies.That's me defaulting into Teesside Speak.

Our old barriers were of the type that either closed to Rail or Road by swinging across on a pivot. They were replaced with the current barriers which only close the road. When the barriers are being retracted to open to road traffic they give the impression of sliding or gliding across the road.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Weren't there a few earlier barriers that rolled across on wheels ? - also up in the North East.

Thank you for the vid link. Spot on. This crossing had wheels in a previous incarnation.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if it was a sliding version. It certainly had wheels when it was a swing gates as I recall the motors were mounted on the gates above the wheels.

PS the site of the multi story car park ( right side , across the railway) was once occupied by the goods shed and sidings, coal office and the Pig and Whistle, the finest boozer in town. Knocked down so that Morrisons could have a bigger car park.  Shame.

Rich.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Thus : -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syJH77RRsHw#:~:text=This level crossing was the,off when trains are due.

Weren't there a few earlier barriers that rolled across on wheels ? - also up in the North East.

Yes there were.  They pivoted on a post like old fashioned gates, but looked like a picket fence and were motorised with a wheel that followed an arc in the same way.  I think they were confined to the North Eastern Region as was.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

Carefully designed so that nobody gets run over  -  by the gate ! ( can you imagine the RAIB report ? )

but it's OK to bonk them on the head!

It should be obvious by now from this thread that common sense is not very common.

A Lincolnshire signalman told us that he'd seen a pedestrian turn up and having to wait for the train to pass, hung the dog lead over the lamp on top of the barrier.  So when the train had gone by, the signalman duly pressed Barriers Up - and the dog got hoisted !

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

38 minutes ago, rab said:

Now there's a modelling challenge for someone

Not really.  The earlier North Eastern Region crossings were not very different from conventional gated crossings - can be motorised using a servo, just a different style of gate.

Here's an earlier version of the arrangements at Redcar

lc_4966.jpg

e161e3d7bf5546d4bbb4c43fff49d81f.jpg?wid

and Network Rail's info on its repalcement with the one in yesterday's accident ...

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/novel-level-crossing-to-be-installed-at-west-dyke-road

Redcar also features on this site - among a good range of many other styles of LC.

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/blogs/modelling-level-crossings-real-life-inspiration

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 3 weeks later...

This is only a potential case...

We have just received the timings for the Ford RideLondon Classique bike ride on Friday 24th (which blocks our road) on the same day it is scheduled to cross the Marks Tey - Sudbury line at Bures around 13:40 - which is within 7 minutes of a train - I just wonder what happens if the train is late or the bike riders are early. If the timings are OK you should be able to watch the crossing on BBC iPlayer.

• Like 3

probably the same as happens in other races in Europe on occasion there's a stoppage at level crossings, stoppage times are taken into consideration if there are riders either side of the crossing (sometimes the race is neutralised and the group in front is even stopped for the length of time the barriers are down), and if riders jump the lights they're disqualified.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the fifties it was common for bike riders held up at a crossing to jump the gates and run across the tracks eventually this stoped  due to officials stopping them  and it does not take place any more

• Like 2

On 20/05/2024 at 17:33, MyRule1 said:

We have just received the timings for the Ford RideLondon Classique bike ride on Friday 24th (which blocks our road) on the same day it is scheduled to cross the Marks Tey - Sudbury line at Bures around 13:40 - which is within 7 minutes of a train - I just wonder what happens if the train is late or the bike riders are early.

According to this site, it's a ABCL assessed in 2020 as high risk, and which sees 9 pedestrians or cyclists a day, and there have 4 incidents of misuse since 2015 but no accidents.  The classification means the crossing will be automatically triggered by the approach of a train and the train driver will see a flashing white light to confirm that the equipment is operating OK (flashing red if not).  So what will happen is that anybody who disregards the lights and barriers getting in the way of the train is likely to be squashed.  Unless the organisers have made special arrangements with Network Rail to have a flagman posted there and put the crossing under manual control.

https://abcrailwayguide.uk/mount-bures-public-level-crossing-essex

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1