Level crossing stupidity...

On 22/01/2024 at 20:15, Hobby said:

I can't remember many in the UK, certainly not recently

Wasn't there a recent one in Birmingham where the (stolen?) car was abandoned by a platform?

• Like 1

On 25/01/2024 at 20:52, seraphim said:

As a youth, a favourite train-spotting location was Hest Bank crossing, on the shores of Morecombe Bay. One day, a lady walking a small dog was stopped at the (frequently) lowered barriers. She choses not to use the footbridge. Instead, she ties the dog's lead to the barrier, and watches the train pass. You can guess the rest...

I remember hearing of the same thing happening at Falloden LC

No footbridge though, this is the ECML in rural Northumberland

Dog walker stopped at lowered barriers, so slipped end of lead on end of barrier, train goes past.....

At the time, this was an AHB crossing.....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Dog walker stopped at lowered barriers, so slipped end of lead on end of barrier, train goes past.....

At the time, this was an AHB crossing.....

Safety precaution in order to stop the dog from zig-zagging round the barriers ?

If a train runs a dog over, is it required to stop, like a motorist?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Safety precaution in order to stop the dog from zig-zagging round the barriers ?

No,

But check around at your next stop for the remains of the owner who may have been in hot pursuit of the dog.

Regards

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

No,

But check around at your next stop for the remains of the owner who may have been in hot pursuit of the dog.

Regards

Ian

I was going to make a comment about that but decided not to as it would be in extreme bad taste.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When going through the operation of my crossing with trainees, I always ask them about animals on the line, and whether they should be reported to the next box, which controls the section, or the next box AND Control, and why, depending on the animals.

The dog question always throws up a discussion.

Regards

Ian

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Nothing you could do about it anyway, by time you stopped you're anything up to a mile and a half away.

A different matter with large animals though, as its a possible obstruction so need to stop to protect the line.

I did once though get stopped by a pheasant!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Ken.W said:

I did once though get stopped by a pheasant!

Perhaps a bit more info on this one, even a level crossing there for a tenuous claim to getting back on topic.

91/Mk4 set, DVT leading, approaching Doncaster in the Bentley area, so was probably at 125.

The pheasant attempted take off out the 4ft just ahead of me, but hit right on the ATP isolating cock, forcing its handle back against the buffer beam and opening the cock.

It must, l think, have known our Defensive Driving Policy, as it dumped the brake on me at just the right place to bring us to a stand a loco length from the signal protecting Arksey Level Crossing.

This was fortunate as the signaller was then able to reset the signal and re-open the crossing while we waited for the Doncaster fitter to come out to free the cock handle which was very firmly wedged against the buffer beam.

He didn't have far to come though, on the first available northbound, for those who don't know the location, this is the signal where we get the double yellow when getting cautioned for the turnout into the platform at Doncaster.

Edited by Ken.W
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

When going through the operation of my crossing with trainees, I always ask them about animals on the line, and whether they should be reported to the next box, which controls the section, or the next box AND Control, and why, depending on the animals.

The dog question always throws up a discussion.

Regards

Ian

The rule book is quite clear that small animals don't need to be cautioned for (that includes dogs), but what every bobby I know (me included) do is to caution for the owner that is probably somewhere nearby looking for said dog. 

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Budgie said:

Here's another American one, but this has a better outcome:

A better outcome is when the 4x4/SUV gets a pasting.

The driver might take more care in future.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Some dogs are not exactly small. Huskies and the like seem very popular these days. Much the same effect as hitting a sheep I would think.

Jonathan 

From a railway perspective the 'large' or 'small' animal differentiation is more to do with their bone structure than animal size / species!

Thats because big, tough bones which don't shatter on impact are a derailment risk!

A large cattle bone was the cause of the Polmont accident in the late 1980s as it didnt disintegrate when hit and instead ended up forcing the leading bogie off the rails.

By contrast the biology of sheep means they don't have body parts which produce a derailment risk and I would imagine a dog, however large, falls into that category.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, uax6 said:

The rule book is quite clear that small animals don't need to be cautioned for (that includes dogs), but what every bobby I know (me included) do is to caution for the owner that is probably somewhere nearby looking for said dog. 

Andy G

had that last year on Sutton park, people walking down the track searching for their dog, my mate was on the train in front of me and spotted a dog wandering round the 4ft so stopped, actually getting down and offering it the ham from his sandwiches!

he managed to get it to come to him but when he tried to get hold of his collar it made a run for it, he reported it to the box so we were cautioned through the section, my mate then found the owners at one of the foot crossings shouting for the dog (called yoda!), by the time I’d got there with my train they had wandered along the cess between the 2 foot crossings where the dog was seen, I had to then report that as well as it was no longer a missing dog on the line but 4 people to boot! 

I believe they got the dog back though, they had told my mate they only got him the day before from a rescue centre and it was his first ‘walkies’ when he slipped his lead! 

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, big jim said:

had that last year on Sutton park, people walking down the track searching for their dog, my mate was on the train in front of me and spotted a dog wandering round the 4ft so stopped, actually getting down and offering it the ham from his sandwiches!

he managed to get it to come to him but when he tried to get hold of his collar it made a run for it, he reported it to the box so we were cautioned through the section, my mate then found the owners at one of the foot crossings shouting for the dog (called yoda!), by the time I’d got there with my train they had wandered along the cess between the 2 foot crossings where the dog was seen, I had to then report that as well as it was no longer a missing dog on the line but 4 people to boot! 

I believe they got the dog back though, they had told my mate they only got him the day before from a rescue centre and it was his first ‘walkies’ when he slipped his lead! 

A similar thing happened to me on the same line about fifteen years ago, a chap walking his German Shepard lost it on the straight stretch south of Streetly and was wandering about in a right old panic. I was light engine at the time so easily stopped to help him out and report it. We found the dog within a couple of minutes and all was right in the end.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, big jim said:

he managed to get it to come to him but when he tried to get hold of his collar it made a run for it, he reported it to the box so we were cautioned through the section, my mate then found the owners at one of the foot crossings shouting for the dog (called yoda!),

Foot crossings don't usually have Yodal alarms!

• Funny 4

20 hours ago, figworthy said:

Should we paws for thought on that one ?

Adrian

Clearly a comment for those with a paw sense of humour.....

Edited by jcredfer
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2024 at 18:47, corneliuslundie said:

Dangerous birds, pheasants. At least two bus windscreens smashed by them last year in mid Wales.

Jonathan

Had one break my company car windscreen, the insurance claim form required drawings.....

I had a wonderful time drawing phlying fesants in multicolored pencils, very pretty it was too...

• Like 3
  • Funny 12