Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

"NEWS | Rail services are suspended between Ludlow and Hereford after an incident on the level crossing at Onibury."

On Herefordshire Facebook this evening...

??? Onibury level crossing is not between Ludlow and Hereford.

It is north of Ludlow, between Ludlow and Craven Arms.

onibury_1971_1280x720.jpg

Onibury level crossing. D-Day was February 15th 1971.

• Like 1

??? Onibury level crossing is not between Ludlow and Hereford.

It is north of Ludlow, between Ludlow and Craven Arms.

onibury_1971_1280x720.jpg

Onibury level crossing. D-Day was February 15th 1971.

And you could still buy the paper with one coin, as the 6d (2.5p) coin was still legal tender up to June 1980...

• Like 3

No information on how the process of overturning a car in the middle of a level crossing was accomplished, without the assistance of a train or any other vehicle:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-46110172

You see some very special driving on the A49 and other roads around here. Turning a car over on a level crossing is just one of many stunts that keep us horrified and entertained.

• Like 2

If it's been coming from Craven Arms direction I can give an educated guess. The A49 from Craven is a quick bit of road and the crossing is approached by a sharp right hand bend then over the crossing and left turn. I expect he's approached it too quick and hit a kerb and turned it over. Theve reduced the speed limit round there but many ignore it.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

If it's been coming from Craven Arms direction I can give an educated guess. The A49 from Craven is a quick bit of road and the crossing is approached by a sharp right hand bend then over the crossing and left turn. I expect he's approached it too quick and hit a kerb and turned it over. Theve reduced the speed limit round there but many ignore it.

He - being an elderly woman in her eighties - is unlikely to have been travelling that fast out of choice !!?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We were shown an interesting example of level crossing misuse this morning on a team brief.

Imagine the scene - an occupation crossing complete with locked gates and red / green warning lights.

An authorised user drives up sees the lights are green so unlocks and opens the nearest one gate, they cross the railway unlock and open the second gate,

They return to their car and drive it across*....... and disappear into the distance leaving both gates wide open.

Some time later the miniature warning lights change to red as there is a train approaching.

However we then see another vehicle approach the crossing. Despite the red light, the occupants of the car do not hesitate and start to drive over the crossing......

.....Fortunately at the last minute they see the approaching train and stop - but because the front of the car is still slightly foul of the line the car gets a glancing blow.

The distressed occupants of the car get out exclaiming loudly "what happened", "I don't know".

They go and look at the miniature warning light - which is now showing green again as the train has passed.

Had the key holder bothered to shut and lock the gates behind him then the collision wouldn't have occured

Had the driver of the second car stopped to check the miniature warning lights as they approached then they wouldn't have driven onto the crossing

And....

Had NR not fitted 3 cameras around the crossing then we would have no way of knowing what went on and would have been unable to prove the miniature warning lights were working correctly.

* It doesn't look like the authorised user paid much attention to the miniature warning lights before driving across - there have been incidents where the lights may be green when users start operating gates, etc but go red before the user has a chance to drive across and the users doesn't do a final check before driving onto the crossing.....

If I can get hold of the video I will put it on here.

• Like 2

He - being an elderly woman in her eighties - is unlikely to have been travelling that fast out of choice !!?!

I didn't read the report and was just going on the photo! ;)

That photo of the overturned car seems to have been taken from just where that lorry is in post 3046. It's quite a deceiving bend and together with the wet conditions... Just because they are elderly doesn't mean they can't be travelling too fast for the road conditions or their abilities...

Anyhow i suppose we'd better wait and see...

I wonder if it is an automatic?  Often the case with elderly drivers that they can accidentally press the accelerator whilst convinced they are pressing the brake. They push it a bit, but the car speeds up so they panic and press it hard. The gearbox then kicks down and the engine gives it all its got...

• RMweb Premium

We were shown an interesting example of level crossing misuse this morning on a team brief.

Imagine the scene - an occupation crossing complete with locked gates and red / green warning lights.

An authorised user drives up sees the lights are green so unlocks and opens the nearest one gate, they cross the railway unlock and open the second gate,

They return to their car and drive it across*....... and disappear into the distance leaving both gates wide open.

Some time later the miniature warning lights change to red as there is a train approaching.

However we then see another vehicle approach the crossing. Despite the red light, the occupants of the car do not hesitate and start to drive over the crossing......

.....Fortunately at the last minute they see the approaching train and stop - but because the front of the car is still slightly foul of the line the car gets a glancing blow.

The distressed occupants of the car get out exclaiming loudly "what happened", "I don't know".

They go and look at the miniature warning light - which is now showing green again as the train has passed.

Had the key holder bothered to shut and lock the gates behind him then the collision wouldn't have occured

Had the driver of the second car stopped to check the miniature warning lights as they approached then they wouldn't have driven onto the crossing

And....

Had NR not fitted 3 cameras around the crossing then we would have no way of knowing what went on and would have been unable to prove the miniature warning lights were working correctly.

* It doesn't look like the authorised user paid much attention to the miniature warning lights before driving across - there have been incidents where the lights may be green when users start operating gates, etc but go red before the user has a chance to drive across and the users doesn't do a final check before driving onto the crossing.....

If that's the one at the marina, the SUV with the empty boat trailer, it's the same vehicle both times.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And....

The authorised user needs to become unauthorised.

• Like 1