A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean my signalling bible is wrong Mike? - I swear by that book!

Blimey Robin, those moguls are working hard tonight! - Great photos as ever.

I sometimes swear at it (much as at times I occasionally swore at its author when he was one of my Signalmen ;) ) because there are some errors in there although mainly of omission.  However a quick look revealed two errors in the bell codes where they seem to have been transposed because they don't agree with either the 1936 General Appendix and Block Regulations as issued, nor with the March 1937 amendments (which altered one of them), nor with the 1950 amendments which included more wholesale alterations.  So a bit odd and it appears just to be a simple transposition - in the 1st edition, it might have been corrected subsequently?

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes swear at it (much as at times I occasionally swore at its author when he was one of my Signalmen ;) ) because there are some errors in there although mainly of omission.  However a quick look revealed two errors in the bell codes where they seem to have been transposed because they don't agree with either the 1936 General Appendix and Block Regulations as issued, nor with the March 1937 amendments (which altered one of them), nor with the 1950 amendments which included more wholesale alterations.  So a bit odd and it appears just to be a simple transposition - in the 1st edition, it might have been corrected subsequently?

and I think mine is the first edition.... Published 1973; reprinted 1975, but it doesn't say if it was amended..... I always thought he was right!!! But I blow to your first hand knowledge Mike. What about the head lamps though? Thanks very much

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now then.......

The Finching sisters are waiting for something running tender first so that they can have a giggle when spotting the fireman wrestling with his slack pipe to dampen down the coal dust.............................. :nono:

Those Mitchell loco's are just stunning. 

Croak.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Now then.......

The Finching sisters are waiting for something running tender first so that they can have a giggle when spotting the fireman wrestling with his slack pipe to dampen down the coal dust.............................. :nono:

Those Mitchell loco's are just stunning. 

Croak.

Thats a good idea.What engine though ?

A few more of just the wagons if anyones interested....

post-126-0-23584900-1369243208_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-07902100-1369243221_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-56469900-1369243234_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-09232200-1369243248_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Which loco for the slack pipe treatment? Any, other than a King and 9F, but I would suggest even the 9F could be acceptable, however the cab is rather enclosed.....

Croak.

Just found this nice cab detail with the slack pipe can you give me more info how to model it Phil .Cable perhaps.

http://www.gwsr.com/footplate/VirtualFootplate.html

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Which loco for the slack pipe treatment? Any, other than a King and 9F, but I would suggest even the 9F could be acceptable, however the cab is rather enclosed.....

Croak.

Whats wrong with a King and a 9F?.......

• RMweb Premium

Neal: KIng or 9F running tender first........on a train; not so likely as a 63XX or maybe a Manor.

Rob, where's the slack pet(hose) pipe in that pic?

Mike, the pic suggests pet pipe...........uh?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Neal: KIng or 9F running tender first........on a train; not so likely as a 63XX or maybe a Manor.

Rob, where's the slack pet(hose) pipe in that pic?

Mike, the pic suggests pet pipe...........uh?

P

So I noticed - but I have always heard them referred to as 'pep' by Western men - in fact that was the first time I'd come across 'pet' and it sounds a bit odd to me.  I think there must be a reason for calling it 'pep' and it derives from something although I'm not really sure what.  The pipe had two main uses one of which was dampening down the bunker/tender contents and the other was for washing down in the cab as well as washing tools etc all of which made me think at one time the word was not 'pep' but 'prep' and it possibly derived via that route

• Like 2

You have as much chance of seeing an Eastern engine on here as I have of seeing a Castle on Gilberts 'Peterborough North'. ;) but if my 3864 comes back from overhaul in Margate this week, you'll definitely see that.On a freight..

What -no exchange trial Victor Wild on the CRE?

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Do you think 'slack' might have come from slake? I'm with you on the 'prep' to pep idea.......

Pet pipe, what a very silly term; sure it must be a tyoppo :mail: or maybe it was the Finching Sisters idea: " Oh look dear, that fireman has got a long hose and he is washing down the locomotive's cab floorboards just as if it was his pet doggy.....after a long walk"? :superstition:

I'm sure footplate men had other names for the ****** thing :derisive:

Q

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

What -no exchange trial Victor Wild on the CRE?

Mike Wiltshire

I have that photo but I don't think Gilbert would lend it to me do you. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Anyway I've finally got my repaired 3864 back from Hornby.Nearly 5 weeks wait.They must be busy for some reason.I didn't refit the transit brackets to send it to them and I had a bag of bits to refit on its return.Nothing major.My fault and a lesson learned. :threaten:

She will have a nice coal train to pull over the weekend but in the meantime....

post-126-0-79975600-1369336605_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I've been lurking and following this wonderful thread with interest, and it has given me a veritable platter of food for thought! I have for a long time been planning a post-war GWR layout, a project which still hasn't taken-off, due to lack of sufficient space, but I can for now live out my (hopefully) future endeavours by proxy of your wonderful layout! 

I have a couple of questions, if I may. What make are your cattle wagons? Am I right in thinking Bachmann? I am currently hunting for a rake, and the Bachmann efforts seem ever so slightly more refined than Dapol's, though I realise neither are of a correct diagram. Secondly, I don't suppose you possess any locos in GWR wartime black? I think it is a very attractive livery, especially on the 28xx's and panniers - as evidenced in recent years at Didcot. To the best of my knowledge, it has never been a livery available in RTR - but I suppose one could 'backdate' a BR black loco.

Finally, what are everyone's thoughts on the Hornby Hawksworth's in the divisive GWR livery? I currently don't trust myself to kit-build, and the Hornby Colletts are extremely long in the tooth - so I have half a dozen to supplement the Bachmann Collett's. Can I convince myself that all 6 Hornby diagrams made it out onto the network by December 1947? I think so!

Keep up the good work!

CoY 

• RMweb Gold

Yes they are the Bachmann offerings well weathered to get rid of the ghastly white rooves.I've had one apart and there's some decent interior detail too.Superior to the Dapol one whatever the shortcomings.

GWR wartime black is on the agenda but I'm not sure with what and I agree it is an attractive livery.Never been done RTR.

The Hawksworth coaches are excellent but the post war time limit isn't enough for me.Its like the Hawksworth tender that the G badge W livery on the castle coming out this year.Applicable in months of the G W R period.Thats why I have two time periods on one layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Its bitterly cold in the South Hams this evening but the 'spotters are still out in force to see 2884 class 3864 round the curve with a coal train bound for Plymouth.

post-126-0-20807800-1369413633_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-58324300-1369413645_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-61041100-1369413655_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78814000-1369413664_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Your 38XX would look good with a 72XX piloting it, are you thinking of getting one?

Nice touch including the black and white photo's looking forward to the next batch.

81C

Thanks 81C.Yes I have a green 72xx on order,whenever, which I will renumber to 7200 as she was based at Laira.I will put G W R on the tanks too.

• Like 2