A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

It looks like the bottom photo is the one we see being taken in the top one.

All very nice, yet again - I might model blue diesels, but with a strong Western flavour, so Brent is very much of interest, just in a different era to mine. I always look forward to the latest shots from the lineside, and overhearing the conversations of the locals!

• Like 3

It needs full power just to move her slowly so somethings not right with 6002 'King William 2nd'

It sounds very much like an early instance of fatigue cracks affecting the front bogie.

But what to do?

Approaching the other Big Four Companies to hire suitably powerful substitutes is going to be difficult as you decisively "burnt your bridges" with them earlier in the thread.

But I do wonder if it is possible to have too many Castles or too much purposeful double-heading to photograph at Brent.

A difficult choice.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Robin, love the new photos, particularly seeing your King chassis, wonder why it wont perform properly. Presumably you have tried the motor outside of the chassis? Maybe just a duff motor?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin, love the new photos, particularly seeing your King chassis, wonder why it wont perform properly. Presumably you have tried the motor outside of the chassis? Maybe just a duff motor?

I didn't build the chassis but I'm sure its not the motor.Someone with more knowledge of these things would find where the problem lies.

• RMweb Gold

Anyway its time to see some more mundane action but nice all the same as small prarie 45xx class 4540 brings some empty wagons onto the mainline.These are especially for fellow rmweb member 46444 who is currently modelling the Teign Valley branch amongst other projects.

Is that R C Riley I see in the first photo or perhaps its Peter Gray. :)

Think that has to be Norman Lockett doesn't it? :)  *

Thanks Robin for those excellent photos.  They really capture the look of the trains to Trusham. 

No pressure on the layout building at all then?! ;)  Progress soon no doubt.

Cheers,

Mark

* Or renowned photographer Jonty Chambers often seen lurking around Juniper Hill or the Teign Valley.

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A late addition for today sees small prairie 4547 leaving the fiddle yard with a three coach stopping train.This is the reverse view on the embankment of last weekends photos.More to come.

post-126-0-84501000-1368305701_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Your King is similar to one I converted years ago if it has an open frame motor the magnet it could be the magnet failing if there is nothing else visible to be a problem I finaly put a MW05 5 pole slot car motor in mine it went like a Smokey Joe I reduced the gearing to 40-1 to make it behave.

81C

I've had it running on my rolling road this morning and its ok.I have a problem elsewhere meaning it won't be run and its all my fault.I'm embarrassed to say what it is. :secret:

• RMweb Gold

Depends if you know where to look.....!  ;)  :O

Actually, no, I'm lying, you're quite right!! 

I know where to look as we see another prairie today,this time 4575 class 5525 with a short freight on the up mainline.

post-126-0-61907000-1368356904_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-62386900-1368356916_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-45934800-1368356928_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Well Kings were 'double red route' were they not!!

I'm wondering if I have an old Wills King out 'on loan' to Geoff?. Can't remember at the mo. It is in BR green and I think has a double chimney, but it was beautifully built (not by me) and was my first purchsae on flEbay.

Rob, if you want, ask Geoff if he does have this and if so, would he take it to Railex so you can 'borrow it'. It needs running as it's OO. I'd be proud to see it if this happens.

Quack.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well Kings were 'double red route' were they not!!

I'm wondering if I have an old Wills King out 'on loan' to Geoff?. Can't remember at the mo. It is in BR green and I think has a double chimney, but it was beautifully built (not by me) and was my first purchsae on flEbay.

Rob, if you want, ask Geoff if he does have this and if so, would he take it to Railex so you can 'borrow it'. It needs running as it's OO. I'd be proud to see it if this happens.

Quack.

That sounds like a good idea.

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to get some different angles for photos and here's a couple of shots as if they had been taken by Augustus Snodgrass or Arthur Swidger.

post-126-0-35355400-1368364097_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-81469400-1368364108_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-96977700-1368364169_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A final few for the weekend but it certainly isn't Didcot is it. :scratchhead: No its Tigley Junction shed with four tanks at rest in 4540,4547,5525 and 3796.

post-126-0-44554700-1368381409_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-30215000-1368381427_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-15881900-1368381440_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 14

"Few, if any, people were likely to go from Kingsbridge to Brent for an 'evening out'" - The Great Western in South Devon (Beck and Copsey).

Brent as a place of last resort maybe ?

Getting back on topic catching the 7.45 p.m. from Kingsbridge and making a successful connection at Brent with the 8,05 p.m. Plymouth to Manchester might be a minor "thrill."

• RMweb Gold

I quite agree David.However all is not lost as this evenings 'thrill' comes in the shape of Hall class 4948 'Northwick Hall' on a down milk train of Dapol Express Dairies tankers and my kit built Comet diagram K42 full brake.

post-126-0-26531700-1368464955_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-88332400-1368464969_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-43486200-1368464982_thumb.jpg

• Like 14