A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Thanks for that heads up and they are doing D602 'Bulldog' too.Whether its the same livery in the photo ,dated 1960, I posted I don't know.

Alas I think only D601 and D604 are planned in green livery, the others are destined to be spoilt by having either blue liveries and/or yellow warning panels.

Do not despair, however, as believe I have found a suitable donor model here: http://railonline.zenfolio.com/p586099166/h1F3669ED#h4e8066d8. It is clearly pre "design clever" as can be seen from separately fitted handrails and other features.

Some Shawplan laserglazing, etched grilles and nameplates, bit of front-end fettling, a lick of paint and some transfers will transform it. However you may also need to budget to replace the traction unit as I believe the one currently fitted cannot be relied on.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Alas I think only D601 and D604 are planned in green livery, the others are destined to be spoilt by having either blue liveries and/or yellow warning panels.

That is correct (which explains why I have ordered those two, and D601 was the first Modernisation Plan mainline diesel I saw, on the Up Postal at St. Budeaux).

• RMweb Premium

They were really noisy bu**ers if I remember correctly.

Re diesels and steam DH. After a while using the arrangement as in the very nice photo, the steam loco had to go 'inside the diesel' as the 'chimney fall out' got sucked into the box thingy causing the elastic band to perish so I'm told.

Despite being supposedly high on TE the original warship boxes were a load of c**p compared to a Castle other than having an enclosed cab and seats. They did look interesting though but I've only ordered  one from Kernow and will probably die before it gets produced.

The next lot of warships were better once the strength of elastic band had been increased, but then came the Westerns. Oh yes, a mighty machine at last they cried and were sort of correct. The Finching sisters must have needed pacemakers fitted after seeing the first of those cruising through Brent. They probably didn't like the colour either and got even more confused when other coloured variants appeared. No brass bits on the outside either - ghastly.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Was it being towed as per normal? :drag:

No  - all on its own and making typical D6XX noises - even tho' it was several hundred yards away

They were really noisy bu**ers if I remember correctly.

Re diesels and steam DH. After a while using the arrangement as in the very nice photo, the steam loco had to go 'inside the diesel' as the 'chimney fall out' got sucked into the box thingy causing the elastic band to perish so I'm told.

Er no, the reason for putting the steam engine inside was partly because of coal falling off well filled tenders and partly because on water troughs the overflow was going back over the diesel windscreens and sometimes washing coal with it - and the coal had a nasty habit of cracking or breaking the windscreens on the diesels.

• RMweb Premium

No  - all on its own and making typical D6XX noises - even tho' it was several hundred yards away

Er no, the reason for putting the steam engine inside was partly because of coal falling off well filled tenders and partly because on water troughs the overflow was going back over the diesel windscreens and sometimes washing coal with it - and the coal had a nasty habit of cracking or breaking the windscreens on the diesels.

Ah that's interesting and of course correct. However I was told the former reason by no other than the/a  Foreman at  Laira, in about 1959/60 I think.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

So you will be buying new bogie wheels for your latest purchase for ANTB and some clowns to go on its footplate?. :onthequiet:

At this moment in time I'm not amused by what I've read.Waiting for a phone call from Steam about my 4003.I'm thinking maybe Billy Smart might ring first..

I'm hoping Geoff Davies holds them back personally.

• RMweb Gold

Whether they are easy to change or not Bob,I should not need to do it on a purchase costing £150.Would you put new wheels on a car just driven from a showroom ?

Lets see what Geoff Davies at Steam has to say.

• RMweb Premium

I tend to miss things from time to time, out here in the far flung corners of the US Empire....  is there and issue with the Steam Stars?  I too have one on order but probably won't be at Home when it arrives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile I'll try and lighten the mood a little and mentioned last week.....

FAO Cary Hill ,& others.

Available now for platform spotters on this thread the perfect companion and an ideal Xmas present for a loved one.Original price two shillings,when Mallard60022 was in short trousers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABC-of-GWR-LOCOMOTIVES-ILLUSTRATED-IAN-ALLAN-7th-EDITION-1947-1948-/301005760493?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item46155767ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile I'll try and lighten the mood a little and mentioned last week.....

FAO Cary Hill ,& others.

Available now for platform spotters on this thread the perfect companion and an ideal Xmas present for a loved one.Original price two shillings,when Mallard60022 was in short trousers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABC-of-GWR-LOCOMOTIVES-ILLUSTRATED-IAN-ALLAN-7th-EDITION-1947-1948-/301005760493?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item46155767ed

Can we get it signed by the Finching sisters?

• RMweb Gold

Can we get it signed by the Finching sisters?

I know your game Dudds.So you can make a killing on ebay. :jester: It would have to smell of lavender to be authentic too.

Was that the sound of the "All Clear" at 18.05 hrs?

I've been crying in my bunker all day because I have a BR "Star" pre-ordered. I thought it would be following in the footsteps the Hornby Grange, Castle and 28XX rather than being some Frankenstein's monster and half brother to the 42XX family. 

And with regard to:

FAO Cary Hill ,& others.

although it has a fine cover picture portraying 1019 'County of Merioneth" I feel this rather plain looking 1947 Combined Volume,

post-9751-0-27002500-1383249173_thumb.jpg

may prove more of use, especially if the Star is declared a failure, as the day when Southern locomotives gain running rights through Brent must drawing ever closer and I've heard a rumour about possible locomotive trials over the Devon banks in the not too distant future.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Was that the sound of the "All Clear" at 18.05 hrs?

attachicon.gif1947 combined.jpg

may prove more of use, especially if the Star is declared a failure, as the day when Southern locomotives gain running rights through Brent must drawing ever closer and I've heard a rumour about possible locomotive trials over the Devon banks in the not too distant future.

Very good.How much would that go for do you think.A nice item.

The offer was made to 2Manyspams to run his stock on Brent but he's too busy with BCB and other projects it will probably happen next year.Assuming he wants to of course.

Its gone quiet on the Star thread but Andy Y is on the case.I don't think the BR version is available yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know your game Dudds.So you can make a killing on ebay. :jester: It would have to smell of lavender to be authentic too.

Not Lilly of the Valley then? :D

Bl**dy hell page 75 already.

Never entirely sure what stats mean but:

post-9751-0-07425000-1383256910.jpg

I think the above surely indicates how much the excellent showcasing of modelling skills, informative debate and entertainment have been enjoyed and appreciated by all who have followed this thread regularly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To get away from all the worries about 'Stars' we clearly need to re-focus, this might help.  I think most of you have seen my 'auction' thread but perhaps this picture should be repeated here as I suspect it shows the day the Finching sisters popped down to Teignmouth for a walk by the sea  (also includes a 'Star' for those who don't object to being reminded of them.

post-6859-0-09398500-1383262678_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Never entirely sure what stats mean but:

attachicon.gifREP1.jpg

I think the above surely indicates how much the excellent showcasing of modelling skills, informative debate and entertainment have been enjoyed and appreciated by all who have followed this thread regularly.

Thanks David.You've made me blush.This more of a GWR club than a modelling thread.

To get away from all the worries about 'Stars' we clearly need to re-focus, this might help.  I think most of you have seen my 'auction' thread but perhaps this picture should be repeated here as I suspect it shows the day the Finching sisters popped down to Teignmouth for a walk by the sea  (also includes a 'Star' for those who don't object to being reminded of them.

attachicon.gifimg401 - 4044 CRADJ.jpg

What a fabulous photo Mike.Great Western at it's zenith.An instant recognizable location.

• RMweb Premium

MIB I should think anything interesting from 'home' must be brilliant in youre 'location'.

ATB mate, P @ 36E

Many thanks.  We have just had the cessation of our BFPO services announced so nothing more from Home for us until we go Home.  :(

Greetings from the world of beige - and i'm not talking about the contents of most over-50s' wardrobes......

• RMweb Gold

We had a long chat with Richard Webster but it was mainly about the 64XX and Rob and I saying how poor we are and how committed we are to 4mm - I think.

Just been rereading this thread.

Resistance might be futile as I've just found out they are doing the 45xx prairie.My favourite tank engine.I heard he'd joined Dapol but I assume he's keeping Lionheart too.

http://www.lionhearttrains.com/news.php?page=news

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks.  We have just had the cessation of our BFPO services announced so nothing more from Home for us until we go Home.  :(

Greetings from the world of beige - and i'm not talking about the contents of most over-50s' wardrobes......

Good luck mate and welcome home when it happens; unfortunately you will need thermals and several umbrellas.

P

• RMweb Gold

Well I was planning on shewing something new but it hasn't materialized so how about a brown vehicle instead.Followers of this thread will know I have an affection for them and the shirtbutton really suits them as shewn here on my David Geen kit built Y3 fruit van.Posed beside, is a Bachmann toad that's had the new Shawplan Laserglaze fitted after successfully getting it apart without breaking. ;) Just needs some proper weathering applied.The transfers on the fruit are from Cambridge Custom and are more a yellow colour than the usual gold from HMRS etc.Comments welcome.

post-126-0-45664300-1383402753_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-25573800-1383402776_thumb.jpg

• Like 15