A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

The only promise is certain followers of this thread won't like it.

Shock as 5049 Earl of Plymouth is replaced at short notice by a new and shiny green Warship on the "Duchy" in the '58 scenario?

A plain black Grange and blood and custard stock suddenly appear as Rob discovers the appeal of  the much neglected early 1950s?

Much booing....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it's a dull overcast day in the South Hams as King class 6015 'King Richard 3rd' passes through Brent with an up cross country express.

Now as many of you know,I'm well short in the coaching stock department.However, Mallard60022 of this parish has kindly lent me his recent ebay purchase to run.We both want to model the Plymouth-Crewe/Liverpool/Manchester cross country service.His Comet H25 was the restaurant coach used alternatively with a LMS type on this service and Phil was 'lucky' enough to win this recently.It is currently in blood and custard,however it might be changed into choc/cream at a later date.We thought you might like to see it even though I have Great Western liveried coaches I do think they look good together.A very nice well made kit too.

If anyone else would like to contribute towards this train it would be most welcome and I would be very grateful and honoured.  ;) We still need some LMS coaches.

More soon.

post-126-0-47675400-1382188247_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-51824900-1382188266_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-00973800-1382188291_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-68538800-1382188356_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The 'cheapo Dapol jobbies' . What Diagram are they 81C?

The Restaurant looks quite good Rob. It's a Comet kit for anyone that's interested. It was the only coach, that I 'won',  from a whole horde that was on fleaboy recently. There were some lovely items on there and the owner was obviously a smart builder. Suppose it was fortunate that I did only achieve one win, otherwise SWMBO might have become rather annoyed :nono:

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob the layout looks deserted every thing else tucked up for winter?

Why is the Kings coupling up on the footplate or is that a new trend?

Well spotted sir.I hadn't noticed the coupling riding up there but I have noticed that we've started a new page.The third in less than a week. :O

Some of my stock is tucked up but I'm planning on adding three links to my tankers as I've already said.Is there a difference in Smiths couplings.I bought a packet called Roger Smith but the ones on the Scalelink site state Smiths manfactured by W & T Birmingham.Are they the same product.

Edited by gwrrob

Probably heresy on this thread, but I quite like the Restaurant Car in its current "Blood and Custard" livery.

It seems to have been skilfully painted in a way which captures the look of a slightly faded livery. The hint of "orange" in the crimson is very reminscent of 1950s/early 60s colour photographs.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only comment I would make about the H25 is that it is sitting a little higher than the other coaches.

David, I agree about the paint job; the previous owner's other stock all looked equally skilfully finished. This was one of the only Comet products as most of the other stuff was 'older' (BSL etc.) If 'we' (that is the ANTB crew) had been more wealthy we could have equipped ANTB with complete trains of B & C stock and some additional loco's.

81C, the front couplings on Kings often ended up on the beam as they were so fast that the resulting blast up the front created lift  :whistle:

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I haven't a clue Dapols web site is as good as a chocolate fire guard for informatoin and I've no books on the LMS, but they are both LMS liveried Stainers one is a 60' corridor Comp and the other 57' corridor Brake.

The Dapol LMS coaches are D1905/D1925 designs.  

They do scrub up well with some Comet parts and a bit of scratch building.  As 81C has mentioned the window depth is the worst part of the design and hopefully Shawplan will come up with some suitable Lazer Glaze.

Here's my take on them in Crimson and Cream:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/531/entry-12018-Dapol-stanier-coach-detailing-part-2/

Larry Goddard does a superb job as usual with his Comet versions:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/26504-br-lms-gwr-lner-lnwr-mr-coaches/page-7

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol LMS coaches are D1905/D1925 designs.  

In that case I don't think that's what we are after as the Comet info tells me these were used on the Coronation Scot and London/Wolverhampton services.However we might be able to use correct Comet sides on the Dapol body if I can get a cheap model somewhere and also the diagrams used.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcatpic.php/7/917

• RMweb Gold

One of the lads at Tigley junction shed has sorted the Kings coupling out 81C. :jester:

post-126-0-91406700-1382269694_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-90820500-1382269710_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-85238800-1382269727_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-69682100-1382269744_thumb.jpg

That fiddle yard backscene will now be done in the spring of 2014,sorry for any inconvenience caused.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Nice.........................................

I could have gone to Peterboro' show this morning but decided instead to go to Spalding  in a few weeks time. Apologies to anyone I have offended by telling you all that :tease:

I could possibly have met a couple of webbers but they are now safe and only one might get the honour at Spalding  :wacko:

My wallet was also locked away by SMWBO if the truth be known............................................ :notme:

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the lads at Tigley junction shed has sorted the Kings coupling out 81C. :jester:

attachicon.gifDSCN2380.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN2381.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN2382.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN2390bw.jpg

That fiddle yard backscene will now be done in the spring of 2014,sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I notice that the coupling shackle on the front of that 'King' is now hanging down and is not hung on the hook provided on the buffer beam for that purpose.  The way things are going with this coupling I'm have expecting that the next thing we'll see is it hung on the draw bar hook (another place where it should not be!).

I dunno - first it's tank wagons now it's couplings :jester: 

In that case I don't think that's what we are after as the Comet info tells me these were used on the Coronation Scot and London/Wolverhampton services.However we might be able to use correct Comet sides on the Dapol body if I can get a cheap model somewhere and also the diagrams used.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcatpic.php/7/917

I'm glad to see that you haven't entirely dismissed BTK D1905 (415 built) and CK D1925/1969 (397 built) from your thoughts - they can't all have been used on the "sample" services listed by Comet.

There is a handy table listing Stanier Coach Diagrams and numbers built (others are available, I'm sure), which also saves adding up the Comet numbers, here: http://www.masterclass-models.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/lms_stanier_diagrams.pdf

Just need to find out how much Period I and Period II coaching stock the LMS used on its long distance cross country services (probably as much as the GWR?).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

the next thing we'll see is it hung on the draw bar hook (another place where it should not be!).

What like in that photo of Tornado you posted in this thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77417-cannot-load-photos-of-any-size-today/#entry1196431  :sungum: