Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

If you do leave the thread you'll be back in ten months or so, What'll happen with the rhinos in the meantime is anyone's guess. Look what happened when you went away for a weekend :)

Did someone mention rhinos?

post-6675-0-86745100-1398198460_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I with you on on that one Rob, who would want meat tins wizzing around their layout.

Gave the layout its first airing yesterday with a complete new train of tankers, barrier vans and a brand new Grange it was running nice till a Hornby wheel set regauged it's self and took of half the train off with it, said wheel set is now some distance from the house in neighbouring garden!!!.

If the neighbour doesn't find it and wonders where it came from, it will give time team something to scratch their heads over if they go there and dig it up in years to come.

• RMweb Gold

It will make a change from slugs and snails.Does anyone else do this.

I once found a snail on my doorstep and threw it as far as I could. Two years later there was a ring on the doorbell. I opened the door and there was a snail there. He said "why did you do that????"

I with you on on that one Rob, who would want meat tins wizzing around their layout.

ME!!!!!!!!!!!

post-12721-0-74686600-1398276508_thumb.jpg

And for balance

post-12721-0-56016900-1398276576_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I once found a snail on my doorstep and threw it as far as I could. Two years later there was a ring on the doorbell. I opened the door and there was a snail there. He said "why did you do that????"

Whats the difference between a politician and a snail? One is slimy, a pest and leaves a trail everywhere, and the other is a snail.

Nice photo, Rob.

I know there's no chance of seeing a Spamcan on ANTB, but tonight I went to see a re-built spam on the GWML. The nerve of it!

(Iffy quality photo's available if no one believes me anyone's interested)

It will make a change from slugs and snails.Does anyone else do this.

Open letter from Brian the Snail (Retired) c/o The Magic Roundabout :

Dear Rob,

As a much respected member of the snail community I was more than a little disappointed to see stereotypical "throwaway" comments denigrating snails appearing on this thread.

I was of a mind to immediately complain to Andy Y, but I have since thought better of it. I once said many years ago on "The Magic Roundabout", and just before the BBC Main Early Evening News, "Snails are underestimated".

Here is the proof - something to brighten up drab old Brent - a host of very colourful characters and accessories to cheer up any layout. The real bonus is a magnificent talking (no expensive sound chips needed with snail technology) 4-2-2 locomotive to deputise for the indisposed 28XX. The loco may be a little outdated as it was built at snail's pace and naturally maximum speed is also snail's pace. This locomotive has the unique ability to turn through 180 degrees using only snail slime and so is ideal for layouts without rails or a turntable.(see You Tube link below for proof (approx 55 seconds in))

post-9751-0-64683600-1398300090_thumb.jpg

Plenty of railway interest in this short episode and a starring role for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBMn1NfXdc#t=27http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBMn1NfXdc

Give us snails a break

Brian the Snnnnnaaaaaiiiiiilllllllllllll

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Give us snails a break

Brian the Snnnnnaaaaaiiiiiilllllllllllll

Dear Brian.

Thanks for your heart felt letter but as a hosta loving gardener I feel you offer no benefit of being in my garden.Of course you're welcome to stay but might find your home being a bucket of salted water next.Also your MR series wasn't a patch on 'Trumpton' in my household.So the only break you'll get from me....

kind regards

Castle lover [back on topic]

ps Brent isn't old or drab thank you. ;)

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think Phil, [Mallard60022 of this parish] might have forgot I still have a couple of items of rolling stock belonging to him.Here's a reminder of a previously shewn photo.

post-126-0-25647700-1398369732_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Courtesy of Fosters we now know Sierd's alter ego   -     Ryan from Cardiff  -   "RYNO!!!!"

We also have an idea for a new rating button - The Paddle of Rebuke button - how about it Andy Y???? (you know who you want to show it to first!)

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think Phil, [Mallard60022 of this parish] might have forgot I still have a couple of items of rolling stock belonging to him.Here's a reminder of a previously shewn photo.

attachicon.gifOne for Phil mallard60022.jpg

Nearly but not quite........ :mail:

As I am unlikely to have any layout sorted before the end of this year I think they may still be at Brent for a while. :pardon:

p

Dear Brian.

As a hosta loving gardener You might find your home being a bucket of salted water next.

ps Brent isn't old or drab thank you. ;)

I love the smell of hostas in the evening.

Speaking as a snail, I had hoped that a GWR modeller would use copper rings as a defence mechanism rather than the unimaginative barbaric cruelty of the salt bucket.

Brent probably isn't old or drab but in mitigation we snails have very poor eyesight and no aural system, so we cannot hear the abuse hurled at us by irate gardeners or railway modellers.

Brian the Snail

Munching a Hosta leaf and reporting under cover of darkness from a suburban garden somewhere in Coventry.

P.s. We'll be long gone by the time you get up.