A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That cancelled programme led to a craze of dance related activity around Brent.

I'm consistently disappointed when advertised displays of English country dancing fail to depict Moggy 1000s moving together with synchronicity...

Yes .Anne Widdecombe does it for me on so many levels.... :jester:

Not on the Somerset Levels, she'd better not...!

I've found another bus which couldn't have appeared at Brent without bending history, but I thought it worth investigating because it looked familiar.

I was gobsmacked to discover that there is a very good chance that I may have travelled on this particular bus 50 years ago as a school pupil, because Leicester City Transport swopped six double decker buses for 6 ex-Devon General 1946 built AEC Regal single deckers in 1952, and they served out their last days in Leicester as school buses circa 1963-65.

Seen here restored in the attractive Devon General livery at Kingsbridge in 2013, and as it would have looked in Leicester faded deep maroon livery in the early 1960's at Abbey Lane Bus Depot (it's actually one of the other five ex-Devon General buses).

post-9751-0-32020100-1410289911_thumb.jpg

And to get back on topic here is the only known picture of the Finchings in Leicester. They are seen on the 48 Inner Circle Service, travelling to either Leicester Central or Leicester London Road Station to catch a train back to the South Hams, having caught the daily train from Grantham to Leicester Belgrave Road Station. I can date the photograph with great confidence to the Summer of 1953, as the Grantham service ceased in September 1953, and the fact that, apart from the Finchings, there appear to be no other passengers on the bus strongly suggests it was taken during the Leicester Bus Boycott of August 1953, a passenger protest against fare stage increases imposed immediately after the Industrial Fortnight holidays.

post-9751-0-23571100-1410295872.jpg

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Anne Widdecombe does it for me on so many levels.... :jester:

She did it for me. Twice. Spoiled my day, that is. That's the two Election Days when she greeted me outside Staplehurst station, apparently seeking my support. My truss is my affair, so it was no deal. And few women look their best at 0700......

How do you find all these photos David.It's amazing what you come up with sometimes.Have you decided which day you'll be at the Ricoh yet.

Too much time on my hands, and probably Saturday if I can make myself a badge or two before then.

• RMweb Gold

Ann Widdecombe went to the same Moroccan ladies college as the Finching sisters and as such frequently displays the same propensity to party.

Here we see her at a fundraising event for the RAF Benevolent Fund, partnered by Manuel Diego Phillipe Dollypopgarcia, Spanish Ambassador to the Hebredies.

They were presenting their interpretation ( via the medium of dance) of the film ' The Battle of Britain). Miss Widdecombe is playing the part of a Mk 1 Spitfire ( please note twin bladed propeller)whilst Manuel is playing the part of Micheal Caine.

The whole performance went down extremely well. However, a planned fly past as a encore, came to an abrupt end. Miss Widdecombe was gaining height over the pineapple and cheese fancies, when she lost her footing, due in no small part, to a large dollop of sherry trifle, discarded by Klaus Von Uberfister, German ambassador to the Isle of Man.

Miss Widdecombe lost height and belly flopped into a large plate of chicken thighs. She was uninjured and suffered only minor damage. She later resumed her encore to tumultuous applause having been touched up by Marcel Prod, Belgium Ambassador to Milton Keynes.Mr Dollypopgarcia was unaffected, having ejected with the help of a passing waitress.

Rub

post-14122-0-53526400-1410365010.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dudders.........07.00............post-2326-0-16410600-1410377511.jpg.....maybe she can?

NHY 581... that post #6377 actually made me cry....................with laughter; just look at the bloke's face and just where is his left hand......was he groping for the joy stick?

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I have it on good authority that the Finching sisters arrived safely on the Somerset Levels.Captain Kernow welcomed them with open arms.

post-126-0-43850600-1410550085_thumb.jpg

They will be there for the duration of RMweb live.Have a good weekend girls. ;)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Now, am I actually going to get there and should I wear a cravat, formal shirt and tweeds, along with brogues, in case I get to meet the girls?  Should I bring flowers?

Decisions decisions.

P

Please do as their manager would love to meet you and any other contributors to this thread.A cracking venue for the show as I've had a sneek peek behind the scenes tonight .Don't tell anyone.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No, I'm being serious.....I once got caught up in violence after a match at Fulham. Not directly but I was almost trampled by charging Police Horses and I was actually in a car at the time........ :blackeye:

P

Trust me you'll be fine.The show looks amazing.The football is a sideshow.

• RMweb Gold

I've just realised that it is Coventry at Home tomorrow to Yeovil and that means crowds of footy fans some of which will be idiots. How can I avoid that lot; I hate louts.

P

The game kicks off at 3pm and will finish between 445 and 5pm. Arriving for the show won't be an issue. Suggest you either leave before 430, or wait in the venue till about 5.30 to let the crowds disperse. I'm sure that although the show closes at 5 there will be somewhere to wait without going out of the building. Just remember, Coventry and Yeovil are not Millwall and Birmingham City.

You'll be fine if you take reasonable care - trust me I used to be a police officer and did more than my share of football duty.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's worth remembering that it is only a small minority that cause trouble at foot ball matches these days.

Whilst the crowd can be vociferous it is generally good natured.

They would not be interested in an elderly duck waddling about the place.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

It's my Devon accent I would have been worried about. My Quack has a distinctive west country burrrrrr (well actually, as I'm a Drake I don't quack, I sort of squeak. It's the ducks that quack :stinker: ) I might be mistaken for the other Yeovil supporter :sarcastichand:

Anyhow, sadly it is very foggy here and I've been told I have to help pick raspberries this afternoon and so the Duck will not be in the building. Boo!

Have a great day chaps and chapesses. I look forward to the pics and banter. Kissy kissy to the Finchings......... :dontknow:

P

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm back from an excellent weekend at the RMweb live show at the Ricoh.The sisters were forever waiting for a train home so I took it into my own hands to arrange transport.Here's 4582 on Bleakhouse Road.Somewhere where I've spent a lot of this weekend with Tim 'Captain Kernow' ,John Farmer and the rest of his team.Very enjoyable to say the least but tinged with sadness as will be revealed later on.

post-126-0-49839100-1410711647_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-72714900-1410711710_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

One of the pleasures of being the otherside of the barrier was taking photos of the side not usually seen.

post-126-0-90264000-1410712988_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-37311900-1410713011_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-35533200-1410713033_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-07921600-1410713052_thumb.jpg

Mike Stationmasters new purchase from the late Dave Shakespeares estate.

post-126-0-68967200-1410713078_thumb.jpg

Where's Timmytwotrousers I hear you cry.....

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I feel a bit of a fraud shewing someone elses work on my thread but it was very photojenic and I couldn't resist.Sorry.

post-126-0-46033600-1410714985_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75623400-1410715005_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-90561300-1410715024_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-21124000-1410715043_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-68030400-1410715082_thumb.jpg

As the captain would say 'Keep Calm and Have A Banana' :jester:

post-126-0-87408400-1410715059_thumb.jpg

• Like 18