RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

According to my copy of the September 1957 to June 1958 WTT it still ran. It was an ordinary passenger train and it seems it called at all stations. The down working from Exeter to Plymouth leaves Newton Abbot at 12:30pm and arriving at Plymouth North Road at 1:40pm, after which it continued as ECS to Millbay. The return working was ECS, departing Millbay at 2:05pm and arriving at North Road at 2:09. This then ran as an ordinary passenger train departing at 2:15pm, again calling at all stations although it is shown as running through to Exeter. Incidentally, the WTT notes that this train conveys important freight traffic, Brent to Exeter. Does this mean it could run as a mixed from Brent?

Neil

No, if it isn't shown as 'Mixed' in the WTT it would have been conveying tail traffic

According to my information the N class wasn't used on the route in the 50s so it would have been something else.I'm recreating the late 40s photo I've seen with 1848.I was originally inspired by a colour photo of a N class at Cockwood in the 60s.A return trip to Bere Alston from a favourite holiday haunt of mine, Goodrington Sands.

1950s photos I have seen show light pacifics and Exmouth Jcn allocated BR Standards.  I suspect the Down working was probably covered by Exmouth Jcn but I wonder if the Up was worked by Friary men?  Sounds like you might need a shiny malachite liveried spamcan - oh dear what have I said :O  :scratchhead: 

Edited by The Stationmaster

It struck me that the turnround at Plymouth was rather tight given the need to turn the loco so I had a peek at something I looked up a while back.  From summer 1957:

Exmouth Junction duty 534                 WC 4-6-2                     

1.45 am LE     Friary loco – Plymouth Friary                         1.50 am

1.55 am gds     Plymouth Friary – Exmouth Jcn                     7.11 am

+++     LE       Exmouth Jcn – Exmouth Jcn loco                  +++

10.45 am LE   Exmouth Jcn loco – Exeter St Davids                        11.3 am

11.35 am pass  Exeter St Davids – Newton Abbot                12.25 pm

12.30 pm pass Newton Abbot – Plymouth North Rd            1.40 pm

1.44 pm ECS   Plymouth North Rd – Millbay                        1.49 pm [turns on triangle]

4.15 pm ECS   Millbay – Plymouth North Rd                        4.23 pm

4.32 pm pass   Plymouth North Rd – Newton Abbot                        5.45 pm

5.53 pm pass   Newton Abbot – Exeter St Davids                6.33 pm

6.52 pm BE     Exeter St Davids – Exeter Central                 6.57 pm [banks 12.45 Torrington]

7.11 pm LE     Exeter Central – Exmouth Junction loco        7.14 pm

Exmouth Junction duty 538                 WC 4-6-2

5.15 am LE     Exmouth Jcn loco – Exmouth Jcn                  5.18 am

5.35 am gds     Exmouth Jcn – Plymouth Friary                     9.59 am

10.2 am LE     Plymouth Friary – Friary loco                         10.7 am

1.27 pm LE     Friary loco – Millbay                                       1.40 pm

2.4 pm ECS     Millbay – Plymouth North Rd                        2.8 pm

2.15 pm pass   Plymouth North Rd – Exeter St Davids         4.50 pm

+++ LE           Exeter St Davids – Exeter loco                      +++

+++ LE           Exeter loco – Exeter St Davids                      +++

5.50 pm pass   Exeter St Davids – Newton Abbot                6.34 pm

7.30 pm pass   Newton Abbot – Plymouth North Rd                        8.45 pm

8.48 pm ECS   Plymouth North Rd – Millbay                        8.52 pm

9.22 pm LE     Millbay – Friary loco                                       9.34 pm

So if you really like Spams you can have two!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Anyway on to my latest ebay purchase and I've been teasing you.Following a tip from Nick Wood on Much Murkle I purchased one of these flat black marker pens made by Birchwood Casey.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170971525446?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=470228967359&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've used it on 4318 to get rid of those shiny wheels that bugged me recently.Here she is with a couple of toads.

post-126-0-30908400-1415532926_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-01210600-1415532945_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-82869000-1415532881_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-58596600-1415532907_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A few more of 4318 and doesn't she look better for it.We nowadays take for granted a blackened chassis and this loco dates back to the days when we weren't as discerning.

post-126-0-58658200-1415537779_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-25565000-1415537801_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-95470000-1415537820_thumb.jpg

Here's what she used to look like.Yuck.

post-126-0-69299300-1415538281_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

No, if it isn't shown as 'Mixed' in the WTT it would have been conveying tail traffic

1950s photos I have seen show light pacifics and Exmouth Jcn allocated BR Standards.  I suspect the Down working was probably covered by Exmouth Jcn but I wonder if the Up was worked by Friary men?  Sounds like you might need a shiny malachite liveried spamcan - oh dear what have I said :O  :scratchhead: 

I know a man that has three for sale...

The Finchings may be a little concerned at the 'name' of that pen thing......................

Haruumph....

Well, one of the Finchings seemed happy to stay sat in front of "that (other) pen thing", while her sister languished unnoticed and unattended in the four-foot.

We have had no information as to her well-being since post 7235, a sad commentary on the social care at "Nodding Brent" ! .....  that pillar of the community deserves better !

Edited by DonB

• RMweb Gold

Go on - do tell us, Rob might find it useful :angel:  

I'd better not as I don't want to upset Sierd [TrainsArmour] as I need him to finish our station building drawing. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The guys at Tigley Junction shed have been swapping tenders.I wonder what County of Yorkshire makes of his Collett Goods now.A razor saw and Plastic Weld does the job.

post-126-0-12026600-1415542873_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-65232400-1415542891_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-53964200-1415542904_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Rob, have you thought any more about those LMS coaches we were discussing a year back?

I believe that there could be a 'rake' being transferred to a convenient Depot in the near future. They will be in BRMR livery but that might not be noticed 'at a distance'!

As the 'Depot' has no work for them yet they may have to be temporarily allocated to Manchesetr Penzance workings. What do you think?

Makes a change from strange, yellow Arse nal away kit loco's......... :sarcastichand:

The Finchings would be distracted from the 'touch up pen' scandal.

Quackers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Real life Brent update - it seems that I was mis-informed regarding the timetable for the demolition of the signal box. I had thought that the contractors would finish the job off last night, but when I went there this afternoon, it was evident that no further work had been done since my previous photos posted on Friday afternoon. I plan to check tomorrow what's happening for the rest of the week.

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid you need the complete tender the ROD is short in length and between the axles, buy a new one you know you want to. ;)

Thanks for the tip.

Could do with one at a bargainous price cos fundage is allocated elsewhere at present:  Cambrian P22 ballast hoppers are due out any day soon and I need a few to add to my PW train.