A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

some of the personnel from the day

Mike appears to be asleep on his feet as Phil explains the amazing variations in telegraph poles and their insulating pots

post-12721-0-15578900-1435513634_thumb.jpg

Rob flatly refuses to include a class 20 on his layout despite the persuasive arguments from Bob

post-12721-0-88815500-1435513644_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

and to turn you all off completely here are some from the modern railway on my way home

New style thingy 222006 passing Loughborough on a St Pancras - Sheffield fast

post-12721-0-80800800-1435513841_thumb.jpg

This interesting collection (plus a 37 and preserved 56006 just out of view) at Leicester ( more info at  http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2014/ukrl-launch/  )

post-12721-0-92065900-1435513843_thumb.jpg

I can't believe it but I now find these interesting (because the rest of the new railway is sooooo dull)

post-12721-0-48390500-1435513851_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

LOL post-12721-0-15578900-1435513634_thumb.j

However, it was even worse..............I had asked Mike to help me with the bogies. I had remebered my handkerchief but it didn't help!

We are staring at a B5 under a Kitchen Car that had an E number and I had wondered if it was one that had originally had Gresleys.

Some very neat pics there Mr P. Not too keen on the Beast though and Gilbert will be feeling faint having seen that poop perch. 

Love the out thw window shot and the canopy shadows; lovely. I even quite like the Leicester collection.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

some of the personnel from the day

Mike appears to be asleep on his feet as Phil explains the amazing variations in telegraph poles and their insulating pots

attachicon.gifphil and mike web.jpg

Rob flatly refuses to include a class 20 on his layout despite the persuasive arguments from Bob

attachicon.gifRob and Bob web.jpg

I was telling Bob that his requests for more Southern on ANTB would only happen if Spams revisits as my fiddle yard needs the room for Hornby Colletts.Perhaps...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bl**dy he**, the intellectual level of discussion, compared to that going on in the Wedding Train, must have been very high.

Despite all that vital chat there was time to absorb the atmosphere of THE GCR. I describe it as being a very realistic place on a day like yesterday as it was really just like a railway staion of its time, with passengers and staff going about whatever it was they had come along to do. I intend to spend more time at the place and especially at the intermediate stations.

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry chaps, back a bit later than planned, got summoned, don't you know...

Class 20 running round at Leicester North. Note the old bricked up entrance to the former Belgrave & Birstall island platform. What's not to like?

post-57-0-57852700-1435523967.jpg

Another inspection saloon at Loughborough, this time an LMS one:

post-57-0-26288100-1435523982.jpg

post-57-0-75829600-1435524012.jpg

The Assistant Deputy Chief Shedmaster surveys his domain:

post-57-0-02362200-1435524041.jpg

More lovely locos, and some scenes that I thought were getting a bit evocative of steam sheds of old:

post-57-0-58904800-1435524079.jpg

post-57-0-27567300-1435524091.jpg

post-57-0-04047000-1435524106.jpg

post-57-0-32251100-1435524119.jpg

post-57-0-99559400-1435524132.jpg

'ANTB goes mobile':

post-57-0-00946600-1435524158.jpg

Lunchtime!

post-57-0-06270900-1435524175.jpg

post-57-0-59031800-1435524185.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

My oh my, what a weekend.  Great day out yesterday and what should I come across idly wandering through some tv channels late on this evening but a rather good film on BBC4, sorry fellas but 'walkabout' has just finished as I couldn't really tear myself away whilst it was on.

But being the generous soul that I am I have found it on BBC iPlayer on the off chance that someone might possibly be interested (although I doubt that of course  :jester: )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007c5jl

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a Jinty! - it's got the keyhole in the side to wind it up: Triang got that detail right........

This of course is one of the confusions with some of the foreign railways - on the Western a pannier tank was a pannier tank and the numbers series told you all you needed to know.  But on the pink line a Jinty was a Jocko in soem places and a Bagnall in others and no doubt something else somewhere else - all very confusing and definitely something which demanded use of a phrase book.

• Like 1

How anyone could nickname a class of engine built by Hunslet, North British, Bagnall, Vulcan Foundry, Beardmore and Horwich a Bagnall defeats all logic. Which part of the country bestowed this peculiar nickname? (I can guess but I'm saying now't).

I never heard the LMS 3F 0-6-0T's called anything other than Jinty's, not that it matters. 

• RMweb Premium

How anyone could nickname a class of engine built by Hunslet, North British, Bagnall, Vulcan Foundry, Beardmore and Horwich a Bagnall defeats all logic. Which part of the country bestowed this peculiar nickname? (I can guess but I'm saying now't).

I never heard the LMS 3F 0-6-0T's called anything other than Jinty's, not that it matters. 

All the enginemen out of Radstock (S&D) shed.  

They also had their  "Dazzlers" ,(these being from an industrial loco builder - no idea which one - Kerr Stuart possibly?) simply because they were kept shiny!

edit: To add links, one with a Bagnall on it  (from unravelled's excellent S&DJR Scans thread)

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

Yep, Jintys are Bagnalls on the S&D as all supplied to the S&D were built by ....er....Bagnall . Also 4F's were Armstrongs and all 3Fs were Bulldogs.

Rob.

post-14122-0-39171400-1435600028_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

slow and dirty didn't just apply to the railway then, it was also descriptive of the employees.

How dare you Sir!!! Telegram has been sent to Grayson, this instant, to attend at yours and administer a damn good thrashing.

I would suggest, Sir, that you act with dignity when the time comes and dare ye not whimper.

Outraged. ( Somewhere in Bohemia)

• RMweb Gold

Wash your mouth out with soap and washing powder, Sir!

Another dirty word on this thread might be modelling but the last two days have seen me doing some on my DSB using Slaters microstrip and valence.Painting started too, photos anon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

At Rowsley, (and therefore I would guess Derby) they were definitely "Jocko", although nobody I've ever asked could say why.

• RMweb Gold

Any thoughts on the adhesive I should use to attach the roof to the building to ensure there are no gaps.Would something like Gripfill be a better option than the usual pva option.

• RMweb Gold

At Rowsley, (and therefore I would guess Derby) they were definitely "Jocko", although nobody I've ever asked could say why.

I have come across the term jocko on a Facebook thread largely populated by ex-footplate chaps. But they were referring to 350 hp diesels shunters! So perhaps it's related to the class of work e.g. Station or yard pilot.