Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Many haven't run in years, I don't think the 22, Merchant Navy and Schools had ever run before. Perhaps time to extend the OO stock cull? Is it worth keeping stuff that you don't use??

Convert some of them into tokens to buy a JLTRT 45XX and 'B' Set. They must have got closer to Pencarrow than most of that Southern stuff did to Brent.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now onto the diesel shewn by Chris earlier. According to my Kingsbridge branch book several class 22s worked the branch including the infamous train that brought the demolition equipment. The ba***rds.

This is the Dapol model no.6323, nicely weathered too.

attachicon.gifDSCN6888.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6902.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6903.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6904.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6905.jpg

Can't claim credit for the weathering Rob, came like that straight out of the Dapol box. All the detailing parts still in the box...

Ok.... Hands up, humble pie time ........ :(

post-20303-0-20988500-1440622488.jpg

Even I'm not immune........it must hark back to my childhood visiting my grandmother in Dorset for summer holidays !

• Like 2

The King Arthur with the large tender is without a doubt the best looking British 4.6.0***. Beautifully proportioned and even when stood still, looks as if it's going flat out. A very elegant locomotive.

Rob

*** Citation needed - I can't see a tapered boiler or copper capped chimney.......

Without doubt (!) the best looking British 4-6-0, apart from the fact that the running plate is too high, so near 'naked' wheels, ugly great smoke deflectors, the general appearance of being on tip toes so the boiler and cab looks squashed against the ceiling, oh, and the fact that it isn't a graceful, balanced Swindon design.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I fear poor old Arthur has been a victim of overstatement. Not a bad looking loco, but "without doubt" the best looking British 4-6-0? 

Now, the Saint, there's a credible candidate for the most handsome British 4-6-0.  No comparison, really.  Need I say Moore?

post-25673-0-61835100-1440624572.jpg

post-25673-0-61979400-1440624762.jpg

Well last night a pleasurable few hours was had running some Southern stock on Brent.Most of what was run would have highly likely never been seen bar a few of what we ran.More on this anon.

A very generous young Spams has given me this on permanent loan as it fits the 47 period well.

21C159 laterly 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair.

attachicon.gifDSCN6879.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6883.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6884.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6885.jpg

Look!, Look!, a Bulleid!, definitely a Bulleid ... now where's that drink?

21C159 on loan?, that's a shame I love detailing a Bulleid pacific; shiny buffers, 'the pipe' is missing, accessories not fitted, number missing from the front end; just as well rename it really, how about 'Spitfire', or 'Hurricane'?

Drink!,

Glenn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Look!, Look!, a Bulleid!, definitely a Bulleid ... now where's that drink?

21C159 on loan?, that's a shame I love detailing a Bulleid pacific; shiny buffers, 'the pipe' is missing, accessories not fitted, number missing from the front end; just as well rename it really, how about 'Spitfire', or 'Hurricane'?

Drink!,

Glenn

It's for Rob to do with as he pleases and he also has the detailing pack to add at his leisure (part of his education). Better on a layout than sitting unused in my cupboard!

• Like 1

It's for Rob to do with as he pleases and he also has the detailing pack to add at his leisure (part of his education). Better on a layout than sitting unused in my cupboard!

Oh yes, it is far better that you have enlivened Brent with some SR colour and flair than have a Bulleid languishing in the cupboard ... there's nothing worse than being bullied in the cupboard.

I'll get my coat ...

• RMweb Gold

Without doubt (!) the best looking British 4-6-0, apart from the fact that the running plate is too high, so near 'naked' wheels, ugly great smoke deflectors, the general appearance of being on tip toes so the boiler and cab looks squashed against the ceiling, oh, and the fact that it isn't a graceful, balanced Swindon design.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I fear poor old Arthur has been a victim of overstatement. Not a bad looking loco, but "without doubt" the best looking British 4-6-0? 

Now, the Saint, there's a credible candidate for the most handsome British 4-6-0.  No comparison, really.  Need I say Moore?

Hah! Father Ted has had a nibble.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Old Boy.......and the Arthur is the most attractive 4.6.0 to these particular peepers. In fact the old L&SWR produced some fine designs ( and some lemons). Hornby/ Kernow has made my day as of late in terms of locos and stock and long may it continue.

A final word on this ( for now....)

Rob.

post-14122-0-62408500-1440658044_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Aha! did someone mention Bulleid's....

I have been getting Fisherton Sarum ready for a couple of upcoming outings and have been cleaning and carrying out a few running repairs to all my stock over the last couple of weeks...

post-243-0-04990400-1440659998_thumb.jpg

Also my 21C159 is in post Apr 1947 condition as introduced on this side

post-243-0-12156800-1440659577_thumb.jpg

and in post naming Feb 1948 (and post renumbering with the 's' prefix) condition this side

post-243-0-53601800-1440659575_thumb.jpg

And as we have also been talking about N15's here are a few of mine with a couple of other 4-6-0's included for good measure...

post-243-0-68419500-1440660189_thumb.jpg

Sorry Rob for the hijack and a bit more Malachite..

• Like 7

Good Morning,

I think we are gracious enough to acknowledge that the Also Ran Railways produced some handsome designs, and that, honouring the Pendon tradition, it's fun to run the odd bit of olive green or even Malachite along Brunel's railway. But this is starting to look like a take over bid. 

So, to restore balance, and to remind everyone what a 4-6-0 should look like, my morning offering is this:  

post-25673-0-33284200-1440668023_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

No, not at all.  I am not a very proficient photographer and the lighting was not ideal this a.m. when I hurriedly snapped this in a desperate attempt to shore up Swindon's defences against the tide of malachite!

The utter indifference of the figure in blue suggests he is of the Southern persuasion!

Supposed to be moving house, so I just sneaked these two out of their boxes.  Everything has to go into storage for an indefinite period soon.

Did try using the flash, but that may have done funny things to the colours and your lightened version may be the best effect.  Nice coach, BTW.

post-25673-0-89071400-1440671635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

No, not at all.  I am not a very proficient photographer and the lighting was not ideal this a.m. when I hurriedly snapped this in a desperate attempt to shore up Swindon's defences against the tide of malachite!

The utter indifference of the figure in blue suggests he is of the Southern persuasion!

Supposed to be moving house, so I just sneaked these two out of their boxes.  Everything has to go into storage for an indefinite period soon.

Did try using the flash, but that may have done funny things to the colours and your lightened version may be the best effect.  Nice coach, BTW.

Very nice. What make is the coach?

St Enodoc, K36, ex-ambulance stock. Frogmore Confederacy etches, now marketed by CSP. I pulled out a coach stock box at random this morning for the Saint picture, and was pleased to find it was this one; one of may favourites.  Hand crafted by Masters of Their Craft back in the days when I had an Income.  Nice paint job.

Anyway, well-worthy of its own shots:

post-25673-0-08516500-1440675181_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-45646300-1440675198_thumb.jpg

• Like 13