RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Morning all,

Clearly a need to reinforce sanity in railway pictures today so here is a proper engine - note its shiny finish clearly intended as a future hint to Hornby and the NRM  (n.b. safety note - it was taken on my patch with the usual precautions of letting the panel know not to let anything come towards me in case it got in the picture, the steam was less helpful).

attachicon.gifBehold the King.jpg

Would this be 1st March 1979, with KGV backing to Paddington to take the 125 anniversary special to Didcot?

I was in the scrum on platform 1 with my cine camera and later in the 'vee' at OOC junction waiting for the aborted return leg.

• Like 2

Would this be 1st March 1979, with KGV backing to Paddington to take the 125 anniversary special to Didcot?

I was in the scrum on platform 1 with my cine camera and later in the 'vee' at OOC junction waiting for the aborted return leg.

And I was lucky enough to be in the first coach behind the engine as she left PDN - the only time I have travelled out of PDN behind a King.  We could tell by the time that we reached RDG that KGV was in trouble and could smell the hot box through the open windows.  Needless to say when we found out that she was not returning to PDN we didn't bother with the return run to London and caught the next DMU home to OXF.  It was a very long time indeed before I was lucky enough to travel out of PDN again behind a GWR 4-6-0.

Gerry

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 1

G&W? Am now boycotting them. We dropped in for a cup of tea and a mooch around their shop on the way back from Barnstaple show. We were delightfully informed that we could only enter the site by buying a £20+ ticket each. It was their diesel gala day. I have little interest in diesels and £20 is a tad steep as a cafe entry charge. We left in disgust. Their daft policy cost them revenue on the day and also future visits. Not impressed. Rant done.

I'm surprised at that charge, I do the rounds of all the easy to get to Heritage lines every year and I've notice this year how the prices have been bump up since the WSR posted there AGM on the web that they were the cheapest per mile, you will find Gala days vary from Railway to Railway regarding access to yards and sheds but they are only trying to maximize their revenue, but charging £20 for a glorified platform ticket is a p1ss take. :nono:

The £20 you talk about was the ticket for travel and included entry, so it isn't just a platform ticket. It's done this way so that everyone on the trains has a valid ticket to eliminate fare dodging that can occasionally happen but unfortunately it means that people can't just access the restaurant or shop if they don't want to travel.

As a member of the public I would also like to see the restaurant on the free side at events but with the site arrangement it's not easy.

(my views not those of G/WR)

As a volunteer though, I hope you do visit again and see that on normal days that doesn't happen.

Edited by Twright

• RMweb Gold

Is that made of marzipan?

Q

'tis in fact made of cast resin. Golden Arrow models kit. Interesting stuff to work, preferable to metal for me but not as good as hard plastic. It is self healing in that the dust you create when filing gathers in small nearby crevices! Seemed a cheap way to get a loco not available RTR (until I finish it, obviously...) but when you add in the cost of all the bits you don't get in the "kit" it makes a £120 RTR model look a real bargain.

• RMweb Premium

The £20 you talk about was the ticket for travel and included entry, so it isn't just a platform ticket. It's done this way so that everyone on the trains has a valid ticket to eliminate fare dodging that can occasionally happen but unfortunately it means that people can't just access the restaurant or shop if they don't want to travel.

As a member of the public I would also like to see the restaurant on the free side at events but with the site arrangement it's not easy.

(my views not those of G/WR)

As a volunteer though, I hope you do visit again and see that on normal days that doesn't happen.

You beat me to adding that the £20 did include a day's train travel. The point is though that we didn't have time for a trip (even if it had been a steam gala) as we were working our way back 'up county' from Devon. The idea was to give our tea and cake money to a worthy cause rather than a motorway service area, and to do so we diverted off the route home. What really upset us was the couldn't care less attitude of those on the gate taking money for entrance to the site. I really don't feel inclined to revisit, other preserved railways seem to manage letting folk on to the site (no problem on the WSR on the way down). I would suggest a novel idea that train tickets are checked on the train.

• Like 1

You beat me to adding that the £20 did include a day's train travel. The point is though that we didn't have time for a trip (even if it had been a steam gala) as we were working our way back 'up county' from Devon. The idea was to give our tea and cake money to a worthy cause rather than a motorway service area, and to do so we diverted off the route home. What really upset us was the couldn't care less attitude of those on the gate taking money for entrance to the site. I really don't feel inclined to revisit, other preserved railways seem to manage letting folk on to the site (no problem on the WSR on the way down). I would suggest a novel idea that train tickets are checked on the train.

I'm very sorry if those on the gate had a "couldn't care less" attitude. However with regard to checking tickets on the train, it would be very nice to be able to do that on gala days as well as normal days but on gala trains it can be very difficult when the train is crowded. On the doubled headed Wells and Wadebridge at the 2015 steam gala, it was standing room only, which would have been very difficult/impossible to get through to check everyone's ticket with the amount of TTIs/guards that are available (I'm not suggesting everyone is avoiding paying but it can occasionally happen).

Again my views not the G/WR

Sorry for taking this OT

Edited by Twright

Rocked up to the Tanfield.  Closed on a day the brochure said it was open.  They had needed to cut back and updated the website, but all the leaflets in circulation were advertising it as open.  No web access as already on holiday.

Pretty gutted, but what can you do?   It's a volunteer organisation.  Disappointing, especially for the little children ... seeing their upturned eager and expectant faces ... watching their little faces fall, and then the tears, as their dreams are ruthlessly crushed, and they take one more, bitter, step towards the disillusionment that is adulthood.  

But what can you do? It's a volunteer organisation. No sense in kicking the very people you need to support.

I was more hacked off by the, frankly, exploitative prices charged for the "Thomas" day at the Embsay & Bolton Abbey. I suspect that most of the blame for that is on Thomas's Fat Cat Controller, but I am glad that the kids are getting old enough not to need, or necessarily want, Thomas at a steam event. 

• RMweb Premium

I think you would get a positive response to your tale by writing to the Chief Exec. Just say that it would be good to just access the food and drink in your situation. The people on the gate would not have the authority or possibly wit to think that one out. Apologies if someone reading this was on the gate when Spams dropped by. However, if you are he/she/them maybe you could suggest a different procedure to the 'boss'.

Sincerely, Assertive Drake of 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

I was told by the SVR that licencing fees for Thomas are pretty high... Fortunately, whilst my 3yr old is a big train fan, he doesn't exclusively insist on Thomas. In fact, he was quite excited to see King Edward II at Didcot and is urging me to buy a model one. There's going to be a slight issue with the domestic authorities when she realises we have both the DJM version of 6023 and the Hornby blue tts one as well as gwr versions....

When we do visit preserved railways, we tend to use them as our source for big-jigs/Thomas wooden railway items. Whilst you can pick up some of that stuff cheaper, I do prefer for the profit margin to go towards keeping a heritage railway going

• Like 1

<<Pretty gutted, but what can you do?   It's a volunteer organisation.  Disappointing, especially for the little children ... seeing their upturned eager and expectant faces ... watching their little faces fall, and then the tears, as their dreams are ruthlessly crushed, and they take one more, bitter, step towards the disillusionment that is adulthood.>>         Brought tears to my eyes!  :cry:

It must be difficult for some preserved lines especially those who rely heavily on volunteers, they probably try their best but sometimes the inevitable happens and they have to cancel.  We would miss them if they weren't there so try again and show them some support.

Brian.

I always took the grandchildren (girls and boy) to the railway but they didn't become interested so i wondered if the railway bug had ended with me. Finally the last one was born and when he could walk I thought I'd give it a whirl and took him to our local station. A Doodlebug came and went but he showed no interest. A Class 66 on ballast started off impressively from a signal check but still no sign of life in the lad. Then i took him to Ffestiniog.....He lit up and stood beside one of the little 0-4-0's for a photo...."I luv U grandad" were his passing words as his mum whisked him away at days end.

Right, now for the big stuff....I took him to the 'Junction to see a GWR 'Castle' taking on water. Some yards from the engine he tugged me back along the platform, my ankles gouging tar out of the platform. "Wossup Nik?"..."Dont like.....its a black monster!"  "It's not, it's green" but my words fell on deaf ears. Poo, I so wanted a photo, but I couldn't scare the lad so we went home. "When R U going out take me out again Grandad?" was a regular plea.

We never did go trackside again, and he's off to Uni next week. Time flies...

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

There is apparently a Professor Ludvig Sollid working for a  Coeliac organisation.

It is said that he prefers to work on a stool.......

• RMweb Gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p030z2l9

A taster for you featuring the Finching sisters powdering their noses in the coach.

It was quite a well done programme with a really good script.  However - as that clip showed - some of the film cutting was not entirely clever, I arsk you, two clips of Southern engines in a section about the real railway :nono: , and an Irish engine :O , where do the BBC get their film editors I wonder?