A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Given how long it must have taken to back the goods into the siding, it must have been a tight decision whether to carry on to the next loop or risk holding up the train behind with the reversal manoeuvre.

Always something of a balancing act Stu - and one very good way of telling a really good Signalman from a not so good one.   It was incidentally something which used to happen regularly at one 'box on my patch in the latter half of the 1970s even though the next 'box to the west had running loops and a  train could effectively be looped (in a rather different manner) at the next 'box to the east.  But notwithstanding that it was possible in the early afternoon to see one freight put away on the Downside and another shunted across the road to the Up Main to avoid delaying a passenger train.

BTW seeing the Captain's comments about involvement of Control the traditional way of doing things on the Western was that Control didn't regulate trains - that was the Signalmen's job.  Control might sometimes send a 'ure' (hurry up) wire for a particular train to say it should be given a good run and might sometimes ask for a train to be put inside although that was usually as much for traffic reasons as anything else.  Completely different from the Midland approach where Control was very deeply involved in regulating trains.

(Mind you judging by some of the carp that sometimes came out of one particular WR Control Office I wouldn't have trusted them to regulate trains between ANTB and Tigley.  On one occasion, following a derailment the DCC (the man in charge on a Control Office shift) suggested to me that I should introduce SLW between two particular signalboxes so I asked him who would be calling out the S&T Engineers - him or me? - and when he asked why I rather cynically pointed out to him that one of the signalboxes he had named had been demolished 10 years previously.   And that was after I'd told him that in any case I intended to run trains past the derailed vehicles at slow speed as there was enough clearance and nothing was going to move.  So with due apologies to the good Cap'n but some Control Offices, or rather some of the folk in them (I of course obviously exclude his good self), hadn't got the first idea about what took place on the real railway outside their office walls.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

BTW seeing the Captain's comments about involvement of Control the traditional way of doing things on the Western was that Control didn't regulate trains - that was the Signalmen's job.  Control might sometimes send a 'ure' (hurry up) wire for a particular train to say it should be given a good run and might sometimes ask for a train to be put inside although that was usually as much for traffic reasons as anything else.  Completely different from the Midland approach where Control was very deeply involved in regulating trains.

My comments were deliberately rather vaguely worded! That view is still held by quite a few Western signalmen that I know.

(Mind you judging by some of the carp that sometimes came out of one particular WR Control Office I wouldn't have trusted them to regulate trains between ANTB and Tigley.  On one occasion, following a derailment the DCC (the man in charge on a Control Office shift) suggested to me that I should introduce SLW between two particular signalboxes so I asked him who would be calling out the S&T Engineers - him or me? - and when he asked why I rather cynically pointed out to him that one of the signalboxes he had named had been demolished 10 years previously.   And that was after I'd told him that in any case I intended to run trains past the derailed vehicles at slow speed as there was enough clearance and nothing was going to move.  So with due apologies to the good Cap'n but some Control Offices, or rather some of the folk in them (I of course obviously exclude his good self), hadn't got the first idea about what took place on the real railway outside their office walls.

Mike is too kind (but also only too well aware of some of my personal failings in the past!!), but in essence, I do agree, especially having sat on both sides of the Control Office wall!

I do recall getting a right royal rollocking one night, when (as a duty Assistant Station Manager at Bristol TM), I unilaterally put a stop order into the last down train for Tiverton Parkway, which (unbeknownst to me) had already closed and locked up for the night, and turned the lights off.

At least the punters got home, even if they did have to fumble for torches and climb over the gate!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As Rob has, so far, failed to do so, I thought I'd post a picture of the new Colletts' well-modelled interior:

I wish swmbo would stop posting Instagram shots on here...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interested to hear the venerable Stationmasters comments on the DCC being the man in charge of the control office shift. I always assumed as he was called the deputy there must be a CC sitting in an incense filled apse somewhere, but I never heard from him or saw him. Was there such a being? The night shift DCC was usually the one I got, after he had come in, sat down, had a scratch and a cup of tea, would decide to ring me, just as I was going to bed, and with a barely supressed chuckle in his voice, tell me about some derailment that somehow had just come to light.

Edited by Northroader

• RMweb Gold

Interested to hear the venerable Stationmasters comments on the DCC being the man in charge of the control office shift. I always assumed as he was called the deputy there must be a CC sitting in an incense filled apse somewhere, but I never heard from him or saw him. Was there such a being? The night shift DCC was usually the one I got, after he had come in, sat down, had a scratch and a cup of tea, would decide to ring me, just as I was going to bed, and with a barely supressed chuckle in his voice, tell me about some derailment that somehow had just come to light.

The Chief Controller was really a '9 - 5' post. And yes, he did exist, at least when I worked in the Western Region Control in Swindon.

• RMweb Gold

The Chief Controller was really a '9 - 5' post. And yes, he did exist, at least when I worked in the Western Region Control in Swindon.

And at that time - or for some of it while the Cap'n was in Control - I was the Chief Controller's deputy, but I wasn't a DCC.  Good on the railway innit  (actually the 'Chief Controller's job title at that time was Freight Operations Officer and Chief Controller, and i was the Freight Operations Asst but also did some Control stuff such as some training of Controllers).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob, going back to your RAF memorabilia, the wings badge might be one of the pins that go on the old WW2 Mess Dress.

Following Sierd's link it's definitely a sweetheart brooch but there are several styles.Now I know where my love of aircraft comes from.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Certainly existed on the Scottish and Eastern Regions too, and possibly on the Southern although my interaction there was normally with Maintrol rather than Control (always pronounced with the stress on the first syllable). My understanding was that the Chief was in overall charge and the Deputies discharged the Chief's responsibilities across the different shifts.

One thing that always used to irritate me was getting a call at about 0300 on a Sunday and the DCC's opening words were "Sorry to disturb you..." when you knew darn well he wasn't. All it meant was that he could record in his log "M&EE on-call officer advised" and leave me and the breakdown gang to get on with it.

.Now I know where my love of aircraft comes from.

Rob it's probably true.

I had an Uncle who was a gunner on Lancasters during the war. Coincidentally  My Wife also had an Uncle on Lancasters but he got shot down and KIA after a raid on Hamburg. Last week I took my love of Aircraft to the next level and took a flying lesson in a Cessna 152 - My Daughter got it for me for my Birthday (the lesson not the plane). I went from Spring Chicken to Shite Hawk in 45 minutes. It was quite hands on and you get to fly it and actually take off. (Although they do insist on the landing bit). 

If you get the chance to have a go, it's well worth it. It was the best money I Never spent.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Most likely already been mentioned in the hundreds of pages so far, but there are a couple of good aerial photos of South Brent on the Britain from above website http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw033015

Having been looking again at the maps, I can't believe Brent hasn't been modelled a lot more often. A branch / mainline junction station with parallel yard in such a small space!

Spent an enjoyable couple of evenings so far drawing it out in templot, thinking a based on Brent between the bridges plan with about 1ft of compression, shifted to locate between Bristol and Western supermare may be exactly what I have been looking for...

At any rate it's a fun planing exercise, and that's about all the modelling I have time for at the moment. Dammed shame I can't install Templot on my work laptop and do more while I'm in Madrid!

• RMweb Premium

Most likely already been mentioned in the hundreds of pages so far, but there are a couple of good aerial photos of South Brent on the Britain from above website http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw033015

Having been looking again at the maps, I can't believe Brent hasn't been modelled a lot more often. A branch / mainline junction station with parallel yard in such a small space!

Spent an enjoyable couple of evenings so far drawing it out in templot, thinking a based on Brent between the bridges plan with about 1ft of compression, shifted to locate between Bristol and Western supermare may be exactly what I have been looking for...

At any rate it's a fun planing exercise, and that's about all the modelling I have time for at the moment. Dammed shame I can't install Templot on my work laptop and do more while I'm in Madrid!

I agree with you, Brent has so much potential for modelling. When I was looking for inspiration, I also looked closely at Par, which has a very similar track plan, and Bodmin Road, which includes the addition of several sidings to presumable cater for the china clay traffic. They may be worth a look to help with the planning exercise.

• Like 1

I may have already mentioned this, but I recall meeting David Geen years ago at an exhibition.  Upon expressing my interest in the South Devon mainline, David recommended Brent as the most manageable (11 feet in 4mm scale between the overbridges) combined with the most operational interest. 

This contrasts with arguably diminishing returns for the size and effort of producing Totnes.  I know Totnes has 2 branches and four tracks through the station, but the Kingsbridge Branch arguably yielded more operational interest/traffic than the Ashburton (much as I love the latter), which was on the point of closure at times during the Thirties.

For the Kingsbridge Branch in the Thirties, you have 2 locomotives and two B Sets.

You also have one or two (depending on the time of year) massive 70-footers conveyed to Brent on a local passenger before being taking down to Kingsbridge on the branch train.  Like Totnes, you have a pick up or trip goods calling at Brent, with the train engine presumably doing its own shunting. 

Finally, at least in the depressed early Thirties, in common with Helston, you have a dedicated Kingsbridge Rabbit Van for London!

• Like 2

Well, I am aware of five layouts based on Brent either built or still under construction.  Any more and it will become as hackneyed a subject for modeling as Ashburton used to be!  Mind you so far as I am concerned the Ashburton Branch is absolutely delightfull with bags of personality - its just a bit limited operationaly - and Chris Lammacrafts model now housed in Buckfastleigh Goods Shed is a delight.  Brent on the other had the lot but where do you start - modelling the 'up' and 'down' Limited would be a lifetimes modelling for me!  And at least one of these layouts already has a model of the Kingsbridge Rabbit Van although I think it may have gone to Birmingham via Bristol TM rather than London.

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 2

Bulwell, you are, of course, quite correct, and my memory faulty.

The Kingsbridge Rabbit Vans ran as required and were conveyed by the 1.15pm Penzance-Paddington service, but were detached at Taunton and conveyed onward on the 6.35pm to Bristol and thence via LMS.

The photograph in the Middleton press volume shows a van with rather grand "Kingsbridge to Birmingham" destination boards..