A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I think the article has about 5 or 6 different fast / secondary services broken down by coach type (not to mention a good number of colour photos of an amazing layout.)

Left me wanting to find a copy of the earlier MRJ and BRM articles on the layout!)

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium

I think the article has about 5 or 6 different fast / secondary services broken down by coach type (not to mention a good number of colour photos of an amazing layout.)

Left me wanting to find a copy of the earlier MRJ and BRM articles on the layout!)

I have a spare MRJ Copy with Kingstorre in it. You may have that as long as you would pass it on to others. Couldn't put my hands on it just at the moment but will search soon if you wish.

Phikl

• RMweb Premium

Having today seen the early samples of the SR cattle van from Hornby was wondering if these were seen west of Exeter.

I would say yes, certainly on the SR lines. A fair few rail served cow in / meat out factories at various Withered Arm stations. No idea if they made it on to WR lines but suspect they probably did.

Having today seen the early samples of the SR cattle van from Hornby was wondering if these were seen west of Exeter.

My thought, for what it's worth (and this is probably very little because I am concerned with the mind-thirties) is this:

Once upon a time there were lots of GW layouts.  They had lots of GW stock.  Often these included a Corel, the presence of which was highly improbable in most locations.  Not that that many wagons from the Other Three featured.

This was wrong.

My take is that, in the case of common user wagons, I try to reflect the relative proportions in which the Big Four contributed to the pool.

Non-common user wagons need a reason to be on the layout.  It may be argued that the Southern wagons have less excuse to be on the SDR because they have their own line.  Having said that, cattle originating in SR territory travelling to GW territory would no doubt use a SR vehicle, so yes, it seems entirely possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the absence of any quality rtr general purpose GWR van it's just as well we have other regions stock that cut the mustard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, with Andy's BRM photo shoot coming up I'd better make a start on painting this item of craftsmanship. Built by David Amias, it comes apart to aid my finishing of it.Watch this space.

post-126-0-63357800-1468010822_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-08925100-1468010851_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, with Andy's BRM photo shoot coming up I'd better make a start on painting this item of craftsmanship. Built by David Amias, it comes apart to aid my finishing of it.Watch this space.

attachicon.gifP7080816.JPG

attachicon.gifP7080815.JPG

Bl##dy Nora, that's a damn fine piece of kit Rob. me jealous? Nah, not even a teeny weeny weeny bit.......................................(liar).

Philth.

• RMweb Gold

What a magnificent model- I can't wait to lean over the edge at the top to get a lungful of proper Welsh coal smoke (but in 1947 watch out for the oil-burners!)

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the weather may well keep things quiet today?

P

They don't fly the week end before the show as respect for the locals, I believe some complaints went into the local council about the amount of noise Tuesday and Wednesday flying was kept to a minimum Thursday & Friday the planes were flying higher and there were less of the noisy stuff up. 

Lovely model, complete down to the mysterious pipe. Did we ever discover what it was for?

Brian.

Lovely model, complete down to the mysterious pipe. Did we ever discover what it was for?

Brian.

Stench pipe for dissipating the smell of er, um,  human waste from the sewer pipe, preventing build up of noxious gases.

• RMweb Gold

Grey, darker towards the edges, but lighter down the middle where people have walked. As the stairway turns, the lighter area would be more to the inside of the bend.

The risers would be darker still.

Grey, rather than wood, due to all the dirt, grime, soot, ash, and general muck, which would never be cleaned.

You might add a completely new plank in fresh wood, just for contrast.