Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Has Mr Roper just broken wind or is it his bad back from all that portering? Could it be the sight of one of those new fangled Southern Railway three legged machines that has upset his composure ?

I'm afraid the sudden surprise at seeing something so modern as to be designed in the 1940s was too much for Mr Roper - brown alert!

• RMweb Gold

It varied.  In winter 1956-57 what was then the 5.17 am Newton Abbot - Plymouth was formed of two non-corridor coaches, a second and brake second.  They returned attached to the 4.32 pm Plymouth - Exeter, which was booked for an M set, as far as Newton Abbot.  In winter 1959-60 it was the 5.22 am from Newton Abbot and comprised one non-corridor brake second.  It returned attached to the 7.35 am Plymouth - Newton Abbot, formed of an M set with an additional second for part of the period.  In winter 1961-62 what had become the 5.27 am NA - Plymouth was an M set which returned as the 6.5 pm Plymouth - NA.  All these workings applied on Mondays to Fridays only and of course prior to June 1956 there was no second class but third.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that very neatly answers another question I had as to why there was one working in the Plymouth - NA direction containing two non corridor thirds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I still can't find that pic of a down train near Teignmouth circa 1948 with some LNER stock included in the train. However, I am wondering if it was actually posted on ANTB?

Philth

Specsavers !!!

Len.S.Glass

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, May's on her hols, so Boris ( no, the other one) is in charge.

Mo won double double, but Bolt won triple triple.

Spams is winning, Phil's worried about the size of his churns, CK is still without gainful employment so keeps popping up with random Welsh town names or Scottish football teams, the Finchings keep seeing Bob go past, no one has seen a windmill or cathedral for ages and I'm off to Kent for a week.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Like the pictures from Totnes box.  What would happen if one or the other missed the hoop?

Brian

I think it would be a case of putting the brakes on, and the fireman walking back to collect it from the signalman.

Edited by Captain Kernow

Thanks Chris, that very neatly answers another question I had as to why there was one working in the Plymouth - NA direction containing two non corridor thirds.

I've found a couple more entries concerning the 5 something am Newton Abbot to Plymouth if they might be of interest.

In summer 1961, when it was the 5.22, it conveyed three coaches - brake second, second, first - on Fridays only which were added to the 8.30 am Plymouth - Paddington on Saturdays.  On Mondays to Fridays the 8.30 added a Kingswear portion at Newton Abbot but on Saturdays the Torbay traffic was handled separately.  Whether this happened in earlier years I have not yet discovered.

In summer 1962 everything changed.  The 5.20 - ish was a single unit diesel railcar, aka a bubble car, which ran from NA to Plymouth and from Plymouth to Brent.  It worked the Kingsbridge branch for the rest of the day and worked back to NA afterwards.  This may have been a cunning device to swap cars at Laira.

Still want to model 1947, Rich?

Chris

Edited by chrisf

• RMweb Gold

I think it would be a case of putting the brakes on, and the fireman walking back to collect it from the signalman.

Or carry on with the wrong one but don't tell anybody and when the Driver realises he's got the wrong one chuck it in the firebox and blame it all on someone else  (but maybe the reservationists don't repeat real life events, er hopefully)

Note for the unaware - electric tokens are mainly aluminium thus they would 'vanish' if thrown in the firebox.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's been raining all afternoon here in Brent.

The weather was better yesterday afternoon, if still a little breezy, when I was fortunate enough to be invited to visit a friend who was working Ashburton Jct signal box, at the Totnes-end of the South Devon Railway. One of my favourite locomotives was in service, as well:

attachicon.gif20160820_152329.jpg

Jammy ###### CK. Lovely pics though.

Quackerhausen 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

... this time it was from our beloved Dutch friend in the shape of some transfers.

Humbrol Glosscote applied and let dry.Lashings of Microset decal setting solution and dried with a cotton bud.Still some silvering at close inspection but on the layout not bad.A coat of Mattcote over tomorrow.Hopefully I can persuade Glenn to come out of semi- retirement to weather the ends for me as in the photo of the prototype I have.

attachicon.gifDSCN9288.jpg

That's tidy Rob. Custom printed?

Philth 

Now that would make the olympic cycling worth watching, several of those going at it in the busy streets of Beijing for example.

Talking of which, once when stuck in a mighty jam in Beijing my guide and I came across a man on one of those over loaded bicycles trapped at the very centre of it.  We wondered how long he'd been there, as he'd starting selling to the folk in cars....

• RMweb Gold

... this time it was from our beloved Dutch friend in the shape of some transfers.

Humbrol Glosscote applied and let dry.Lashings of Microset decal setting solution and dried with a cotton bud.Still some silvering at close inspection but on the layout not bad.A coat of Mattcote over tomorrow.Hopefully I can persuade Glenn to come out of semi- retirement to weather the ends for me as in the photo of the prototype I have.

attachicon.gifDSCN9288.jpg

Very nice Rob......the perfect finishing touch. I am still experimenting with printing on thin paper but it looks too obvious right now

Green with envy in Vancouver