Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

While a confirmed GW spotter, there has to be some words of praise for this much abused loco.  Lower the side tanks a bit, take off the sand domes and do something with the cab and there is a faint resemblance to a well known GW tank engine.  Maybe even the GW crew would prefer the more roomier cab especially in winter instead of being exposed to the elements.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

While a confirmed GW spotter, there has to be some words of praise for this much abused loco.  Lower the side tanks a bit, take off the sand domes and do something with the cab and there is a faint resemblance to a well known GW tank engine.  Maybe even the GW crew would prefer the more roomier cab especially in winter instead of being exposed to the elements.

Brian.

Some followers of this thread might prefer this old bird.

post-126-0-13121900-1472760427.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Some followers of this thread might prefer this old bird.

attachicon.gifgallery_126_1705_46283.jpeg

I picked my USA tank up yesterday from a friend who had very kindly ordered it for me, and it is superb.

Mind you, that's one old bird above that I'd happily hand some cash over for a decent model of, as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a shame it contains two brakes, given they seem to be the most common availability of the earlier livery (with the least common), I was half tempted by this set, and if as usual it ends up with another 30 to 40 pounds knocked off the price in 6months time I will be rather tempted. Definitely need another King, and more decent coaches is always helpful....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a shame it contains two brakes, given they seem to be the most common availability of the earlier livery (with the least common), I was half tempted by this set, and if as usual it ends up with another 30 to 40 pounds knocked off the price in 6months time I will be rather tempted. Definitely need another King, and more decent coaches is always helpful....

I had good sense to buy 2 more all 3rd than I needed just in case, that set might be worth while for my birthday but SWMBO would hit the roof at that price, I can only wait and see how nice she is to me when we visit Steam Swindon show next week see might be a bit more generous in front of friends. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had good sense to buy 2 more all 3rd than I needed just in case, that set might be worth while for my birthday but SWMBO would hit the roof at that price, I can only wait and see how nice she is to me when we visit Steam Swindon show next week see might be a bit more generous in front of friends. 

Which day are you going to Swindon Bob - I'd like to hang around and watch this anticipated act of generosity ;)

• RMweb Gold

Were there any shirtbutton liveried Kings about in '47 ?

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, that gives me an idea. It's my birthday next month, and I'm taking my (2 year old) daughter with me to the Steam show. If I were to come home with a Bristolian pack, I can claim she insisted on me having it for my birthday...). She did say earlier that daddy should get trains for his birthday (while my wife was trying to convince her I should get a toddler present...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would assume not (I think the consensus is that Colour Rail's 1946 photo of a King in great crest western livery is miss dated!). However for me I do like a shirt button loco for rebranding, having a much smaller crest to remove (which is covered by the new arms transfer) making the job a lot easier.

I may well get on with rebranding my current King this weekend (if I don't get tempted to do work on Brent instead...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Brent and the whole fringe of the Moor back along to Ivybridge and beyond has been drenched in a fine mist and drizzle all day, adding to the sense of approaching Autumn.

Whilst travelling from Plimuff to the Black Country, I ran out of the damp conditions going down the hill from Rattery towards Buckfastleigh.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/53357/R3401-Hornby-The-Bristolian-Train-Pack---Limited-Edition

Very tempted by the now available Bristolian train pack with a King in shirtbutton livery.

I went through the following thought process

Do I want shirtbutton logo coaches?

Yes

Do i want a shirtbutton King given 5076 due next year?

Yes

Do I have the storage space?

Am sure can be found

Will I be cross if I either miss out or try price falls if it doesn't sell?

Yes on both counts

Will my wife be narked if a box arrives?

Yes

Taking the above into account, i remembered that Hornby use interlink allowing me to divert package to newsagents and collect at my leisure. Also the club discount and free postage takes me to box shifter prices. Therefore I ordered. Tough time at Shildon today trying to explain to junior why we didn't need to buy things in their shop that I own but he hasn't seen!

David

• Like 5

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/53357/R3401-Hornby-The-Bristolian-Train-Pack---Limited-Edition

Very tempted by the now available Bristolian train pack with a King in shirtbutton livery.

Ditto - but it's still very pricey in my opinion. Will any of the box shifters split the set - Rails tend do this. I don't want the King as I got Hornby's 6009 earlier this year for a silly cheap price and it is awaiting a re-livery... and that's in addition to my 2 DJM Kings on order from Hattons.

Rob I would wait a while those train packs rarely fly off the shelves just keep an eye out for stock levels dwindling .

£240 at the box shifters at the moment.

Yep. Whilst containing a low-fi loco, The Tyseley Connection can now be had from Hattons for just 114 sheets - its rrp was £200 iirc. I want a Black 5 and the Coming Home pack is now a very reasonable £150 at Hattons - and it comes with three of the very nice Hornby Stanier coaches (which at circa £30 each means you're getting a black 5 for £60!).

Agreed. This set is brake-heavy. An all third instead of the l/h brake would have been more of a utilitarian choice. However, if I can get the coaches split from set for around £100 that would make them tempting - shirtbutton coaches did verifiably make it to post-war but with grey roofs. Giving the elusiveness of the all third, Hornby should be on the blower to China for another run of them in any of the GWR liveries (Hawksworth livery please!). It would be a licence to print money - one scoundrel was flogging one on Ebay for £55 very recently! 

I am 90% certain that's a no! But, as Fatadder has said, Shirtbutton is the easiest GWR loco livery to relivery...

CoY

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As we're unlikely to see a Hatton's version this year, I could be persuaded to supplement my fleet with this offering.

What other service could I put on the roof coachboards as the CRE never used these Collett type on its service.