A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting, learn something every day. Did all GW signals have blue lenses?

All GWR signals including shunting, backing, & subsidiary signals also showed a green light when off so had blue glass - a fairly dark blue - in the spectacle.  Some of course didn't have red glass (and I don't mean Distant Signals) so showed a white light when on.

The only ones showing a white light when on at Brent would (should) have been three of the ground discs (although a check of the locking chart might reveal that not to be the case post the 1943 alterations if all the frame was dealt with).  Alas I can't check tomorrow as not only should I be passing through at speed on the Down 'Limited' but somebody's nicked the station and all the signals.

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see Stars en masse!  Are there any models of the earlier 'squared off' frame variety, especially as a 4-4-2 although I prefer the 'modern' curved versions on all the GW locos.

Brian.

On the workbench .

The Scott was a 2 cylinder loco that became Saints .

post-6765-0-14364300-1474487723_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-30714100-1474487749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread Rob - it just amazes me that none of our manufacturers, mainstream or kit, seem interested in producing a decent Saint. If ever there was an important class of British locomotives "missing", the Saint is it. I'd have a go at the SE Finecast one, but I just don't think I could do it justice.

Any other suggestions?

Alastair M

• RMweb Premium

I think I'm right that the Saint is the only steam class from Hornby's 'old' range that hasn't been revisited. Based on their past record I have been expecting it for a while and I wouldn't be surprised if it's announced as the Lady of Legend build nears completion.

• RMweb Premium

I fancy getting another 28xx whilst they're on offer as the Hornby model scrubs up well.

I agree, but be careful.  I walked that lairy path and now have a pair of 28XXs and a pair of 38XXs.....

post-10306-0-99675000-1474565364_thumb.jpg

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Talking of very nice signals, how nice is this Kingsbridge home starter.I wonder if it would be suitable to put by Tigley Junction box.

copyright Lens of Sutton.

attachicon.gifmsg-126-0-31151300-1474552760.jpg

Go for it Rob it can only enhance the corner area.

I wonder if Mike knows how tall the post is on this signal I don't want to second guess it I've several to do of this approximate size, once it become too cold for the garage I will be having another go at building some more

the books I have on the subject do lack vital bits information for building them. 

Edited by 81C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it will.Is there a difference between a starter and a home signal though.

In role yes but not in appearance.  Conscious  there are more knowledgeable than me out there my simplistic view is the Homes protect entry into the area controlled by a given signalbox and starters authorise exit from same.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Taken by Mike Longridge who made a model of Brent back in the '40s.An unusual van don't you think with no branding.

• Like 1

Taken by Mike Longridge who made a model of Brent back in the '40s.An unusual van don't you think with no branding.

Wartime measure, brakevans were no longer  allocated to specific locations but for a few exceptions. It carries the post 1942 (even) smaller lettering and thus no allocation.

Can I squash any rumours that Mary Berry is replacing Minnie Finching on the Brent platform.No matter how much is waved.

Events at the BBC have moved on and as Mary Berry is now at a loose end, she may be joining the Finchings at Brent...........

post-9751-0-06337700-1474586798.jpg

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

Go for it Rob it can only enhance the corner area.

I wonder if Mike knows how tall the post is on this signal I don't want to second guess it I've several to do of this approximate size, once it become too cold for the garage I will be having another go at building some more

the books I have on the subject do lack vital bits information for building them. 

We know the gauge of the track adjacent, so I think it works out at around 20ft excluding finial.