A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Rob, I have found a pack of Chris Leigh 4mm GWR Station Oil Lamps. White metal posts with some clear plastiglaze to construct the tops. Any use or are they sh1te? 

Wee Willy Winky.

Funny you should mention lamps as I was just reading about the possibility of Modelu doing some from a scan.

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should mention lamps as I was just reading about the possibility of Modelu doing some from a scan.

Somehow I think they will be really good. However I can pop those WM ones in the KIng box; I don't want the things. Very strange that I also found three packs of 'Puffers' King WM double chimney castings (not top notch, but OK) in the same envelope (yes, envelope) along with some really old name, number and shed plate sets, some of which are WR. There really is some junk in my loft. 

Philth.

• Like 1

Alan Buttler (Modelu) has already done L&Y platform lights, there was a piece on it in the latest Scalefour News, I'm sure they will be good. He has intimated other GWR goodies to come (can't say what of course yet - lets just say that my own personal track building project is on hold for the moment :secret: ).

Just out of curiosity I had a look on the NLS map images at Brent ( a useful tool that I have used before for trackplans etc) at least Devon is more or less covered (excluding Dartmoor, presumably for security reasons) and thought this link might be interesting.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 1

:offtopic: In fact in the wrong topic altogether .....sorry advancing senility...

Leeds United have Cellino making that club a laughing stock and it looks like Derby County have Mellino beginning to do the same with Derby...

The next manager will have to be an accomplished Morris dancer to survive more than a few months.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Leeds United have Cellino making that club a laughing stock and it looks like Derby County have Mellino beginning to do the same with Derby...

The next manager will have to be an accomplished Morris dancer to survive more than a few months.

Perhap the FA should should employ one as manager to follow in a long line of jokers they have engaged over the past few decades.  :smoke:

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic: In fact in the wrong topic altogether .....sorry advancing senility...

Willow Warblers.

Ar$e

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I have been away for a couple of weeks.....you may have noticed a slight reduction in the "likes" "funny" "friendly supportive" graph. Be prepared for a sharp spike as I read the 10 pages I have missed.

We went on a road trip through the Rockies. If you are planning next years holiday you may or may not want to look at my most recent totally off topic post on Granby.......I dont want to clutter Rob's thread with off topic stuff (heaven forbid).......so here is just one sample

post-465-0-64344000-1475083285_thumb.jpg

Reverting to topic (sort of) I can report that Elk sausages are quite palatable

Best wishes from Vancouver

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

"We're not in Brent anymore, Toto!" Brilliant photo John, but you've just missed the Cambridges!Brian. In equally brilliant Washington which is nearly as nice as Cornwall.

Thanks Brian

We visited the winery (Mission Hill) that they visited yesterday. At the time I thought it looked remarkably pristine. I will post some photos on Granby later

Best wishes

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lake Louise is lovely at any time of the year. I'm glad to see the glacier is still there - for now.

I have only been there in the summer but I am sure you are right. I imagine the skiing must be spectacular.

For whatever reason the glaciers seemed more impressive this trip.

Kind regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if it would appear in west Devon, but Oxford Rail have just announced a 6 where toad. Shame not the more common type which is crying out for a high spec model, but nice none the less. Hopefully they won't cock it up...

Any half decent RTR pre-group toad is to be welcomed.

• RMweb Premium

Any half decent RTR pre-group toad is to be welcomed.

If you wait a little while you may get some alternative ideas but it won't involve a new RTR. So, having said that, a new RTR version or RTR versions will appear, like magic, just after the person involved has spent weeks providing the info for the 'alternative ideas'! 

Cryptic? Yes, but wait and see, however don't hold yer breath for too long.

Philth.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if it would appear in west Devon, but Oxford Rail have just announced a 6 where toad. Shame not the more common type which is crying out for a high spec model, but nice none the less. Hopefully they won't cock it up...

A rare beast and there was one on the Bridport branch according to Jim Russell.

• RMweb Gold

According to Hugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew etc there 62 of then build 1901-2 I can't find a date of last one to be scrapped I can't see that will stop anybody from buying one,

I would assume they were used on heavy trains or where there were steep inclines ( Dainton, Hemmeroid, Rattery possibly).

• RMweb Gold

If you wait a little while you may get some alternative ideas but it won't involve a new RTR. So, having said that, a new RTR version or RTR versions will appear, like magic, just after the person involved has spent weeks providing the info for the 'alternative ideas'! 

Cryptic? Yes, but wait and see, however don't hold yer breath for too long.

Philth.

You sound like The Stationmaster and/or Graham Muz.... Was all this 'I can't get in the loft' a smokescreen for some clandestine model shenanigans ?

• Like 1

A rare beast and there was one on the Bridport branch according to Jim Russell.

Well I never saw that one coming!  Amazing that a RTR Toad is to appear which will be suitable for my Maiden Newton project - I really do hope they get this one right as I have been rather luke warm about their other products.  Seperate handrails are a must for a starter!  The Bridport six wheel Toad lasted until the mid 1950s and there will be several photographs of it in a forthcoming book - due out before Christmas from Wild Swan Books - plug over!

Gerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Early experiments with electrically lit semaphores on the Western (Region) were a distinct failure because the bulb filaments kept on breaking.  However a start was made converting all the semaphores in Cornwall to electric lighting c.1992/3 and that was completed with a  year or so - apparently with no reliability problems (and I believe no particular changes to the spectacles although many of those have, so I understand, been replaced with plastic and the blue is now a bit more green than the previous very dark blue.  

Most of the replacements were, in fact, done during 1999 - 2001, with the result that all the redundant oil lamps were auctioned off for charity, the whole process being managed by one of our Operations Inspectors in Cornwall. A massive amount of work, in fact, and we even had bids from New York and other far-away places. In the end, they managed to raise some £8,000, which was shared amongst 4 charities, including Cornwall Air Ambulance and Railway Children.

I'm going to make a certain duck extremely jealous now.

We had four large cheques made up, one to each of the chosen charities, all of which sent representatives along to receive them.

The ceremony was held on a lovely sunny day in 2002 at Bodmin General station, courtesy of the B&WR.

As the Area Production Manager (for Railtrack, as it then was), I attended the proceedings, of course, along with CTMK.

The cheques were presented by Jenny Agutter.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Most of the replacements were, in fact, done during 1999 - 2001, with the result that all the redundant oil lamps were auctioned off for charity, the whole process being managed by one of our Operations Inspectors in Cornwall. A massive amount of work, in fact, and we even had bids from New York and other far-away places. In the end, they managed to raise some £8,000, which was shared amongst 4 charities, including Cornwall Air Ambulance and Railway Children.

I'm going to make a certain duck extremely jealous now.

We had four large cheques made up, one to each of the chosen charities, all of which sent representatives along to receive them.

The ceremony was held on a lovely sunny day in 2002 at Bodmin General station, courtesy of the B&WR.

As the Area Production Manager (for Railtrack, as it then was), I attended the proceedings, of course, along with CTMK.

The cheques were presented by Jenny Agutter.

Splllllluuuuttttteeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Flappitty flap and then, quackaroona. Her Jennyness lives down there you lucky ########. I believe she was infatuated with Poldark's breeches, however that could just be a Pisky myth.

Yummy.