RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

The GWR did not try to go north from London...

Birkenhead isn't north of London? Try telling the folk of the Wirral that they are namby pamby southerners. But do it from a safe distance.

Edited by ian

• RMweb Gold

Birkenhead isn't north of London? Try telling the folk of the Wirral that they are namby pamby southerners. But do it from a safe distance.

Anything north of Tiverton counts as the Grim Industrial North as far as I am concerned.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The GWR did not try to go north from London, the LNER did not want to go west. They were never rivals. It is ok to admire both!

Conflict resolution skills there Dudds. I'd contact No 10 as they will give you a huge Consultancy fee for negotiations that are strong and stable.

(Oh, I've just felt sick..............)

Phil

• RMweb Gold

No naughty peg here as I bring back a small prairie,5551 in this case seen leaving Tigley.

post-126-0-39331000-1493652015_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-41074600-1493652027_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-33683200-1493652038_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-33037700-1493652052_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 18

Anything north of Tiverton counts as the Grim Industrial North as far as I am concerned.

An oft heard phrase used in Tivvy " two heads are better than one" ....apparently!

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Premium

An oft heard phrase used in Tivvy " two heads are better than one" ....apparently!

And in the distance we can see the sun glint off the sharpened pitchforks, hear the delightful sounds of a mob and smell the burning of torches....

• RMweb Gold

The GWR did not try to go north from London, the LNER did not want to go west. They were never rivals. It is ok to admire both!

Now I don't know about that Mr OD - after all they both ran services to Manchester which is north(ish) of London and west of the East Coast mainline.  And they both ran services to Liverpool but if you went there on a GWR train you had to finish your journey by ferry.

Agreed Dudders. Also, those of us who follow proper railways with green engines can run LNER stock quite readily on inter regional services safe in the knowledge that the dodgy foreign engine was always replaced with something proper before the train was allowed south of Oxford.

But the GWR were very magnanimous and let an LNER engine run to Swindon once a week - even when it was a blinkin' B1.  (GWR engines weren't allowed to run to Doncaster because on the few occasions it did happen they showed up the LNER engines as not being very good and they didn't seem to like that very much)

• Like 4

The teak finish for instance by Glenn of this parish. ;)

Oh, agreed: a nicely built model with a craftsman's finish. I was steadfastly in the realms of 12 inches to the foot, in 1947, transported in reverie by your lovely layout! No intention whatsoever to malign "the hand that mocked", but rather, "the heart that fed".

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now I don't know about that Mr OD - after all they both ran services to Manchester which is north(ish) of London and west of the East Coast mainline.  And they both ran services to Liverpool but if you went there on a GWR train you had to finish your journey by ferry.

But the GWR were very magnanimous and let an LNER engine run to Swindon once a week - even when it was a blinkin' B1.  (GWR engines weren't allowed to run to Doncaster because on the few occasions it did happen they showed up the LNER engines as not being very good and they didn't seem to like that very much)

Wasn't the Birkenhead service jointly run with the Southern, with stock alternating between GWR one day and SR the next??

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't the Birkenhead service jointly run with the Southern, with stock alternating between GWR one day and SR the next??

Correct, it was very nice to see a full set of malachite green stock coming through, contrasting with the GWR and LMS stuff. You had to go up to Wrexham to see any LNER, but there wasn't the LMS there.

• Like 2

Correct, it was very nice to see a full set of malachite green stock coming through, contrasting with the GWR and LMS stuff. You had to go up to Wrexham to see any LNER, but there wasn't the LMS there.

Hi Northroader, 

I don't suppose you have any photographs of the above? Or indeed, perhaps some more reminisces of the pre-nationalised era?

Apologies for any impertinence should I have assumed you are of a more mature age than you are - though your comment as above infers that you have railway memories from 1947 at least? 

Best, 

CoY

That's adventurous the otherside of Haldon Hill for me.

Haldon hmmm.... Especially after dark so I'm told !

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it might have avoided the nitpickery if I had said "north from London" rather than "north of London". And I cannot accept that Lancashire or Cheshire are The North - they are the North West. If you drive up the A1 from London, you are signposted to The North, and it certainly does not include Manchester. Leeds, Newcastle etc are The North from London.

Mr Spams is of course right about the Birkenhead through train. It passed my skool in Dorking daily until 1965, serving much of the former South Eastern Railway in Kent and The Brighton in Sussex. In my day it was always Southern powered.

• Like 1

Having conferred with Rob and decided that neither of us have a need have the coin to snap this up, if anyone would like to add a King and three shirtbuttoned colletts to their stock lists for silly-cheap price then jump in asap!*

CoY

*No connection with the seller of course!

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Premium

Hi Northroader, 

I don't suppose you have any photographs of the above? Or indeed, perhaps some more reminisces of the pre-nationalised era?

Apologies for any impertinence should I have assumed you are of a more mature age than you are - though your comment as above infers that you have railway memories from 1947 at least? 

Best, 

CoY

Age is on my profile. Afraid I didn't do pictures then. We're talking east Shropshire, and the thing I do remember is the SR set was always turned out in immaculate condition, as postwar most of the trains coming through were nowhere near as clean, even the Cambrian Coast. I'm sorry to say locos in particular were quite grimy, only some of the Castles were what you'd call creditable, it was hard to tell if most GWR locos were even green or not.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit like Dartmouth then.