RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That was in one hell of a state when I last saw it at Minehead at least they should have that up and running next year along with a naff

name on the smoke box no doubt that bloke with the ginger hair will be gagging for a footplate ride.:sarcastichand:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I thought that riding one's pedal cycle up or down steps on a public footpath was Prohibited by the County Surveyor, together with drinking coffee off the bonnet of your Locomotive Engine.

Sir,

I have to take issue in respect of the County Surveyors "Prohibition".

He may well feel somewhat aggrieved at seeing members of the cycling fraternity " whizzing" past him during his skiving lunch break upon the remote moorland and must feel it necessary to prove his jobsworth title by making up his logbook for the day.

However, having whizzed past him and taking a flask of coffee from his hand it seemed only right to take it out of his reach and enjoy it myself on a remote bonnet elsewhere.

ghdartmoor.jpg.3725bdba9d92da85fdb47288725c6877.jpg

Legally yours,

A.Wheelspinner

p.s. Catch me if you can !

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Valentines Day.... Huh !

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

A few pints of beer are cheaper,

And I'm single too !

Enjoy your day :laugh:

G

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Seen arriving by low loader at Churston, a new addition to the P & D in Devon. 4110 needs an overhaul before being released to traffic. I wonder what name will go on the smokebox to go with Goliath and Hercules.

4110.jpg.ecf5ae1e0d715d842d71ae3e5f8e5ace.jpg264227970_4110a.jpg.f7efcd1c8409cda66f4c0ce5ccd2f43b.jpg

Turned that commission down - it wouldn't fit in my spray booth and the neighbours would have been upset if I'd started painting it in the road :jester:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Seen arriving by low loader at Churston, a new addition to the P & D in Devon. 4110 needs an overhaul before being released to traffic. I wonder what name will go on the smokebox to go with Goliath and Hercules.

4110.jpg.ecf5ae1e0d715d842d71ae3e5f8e5ace.jpg264227970_4110a.jpg.f7efcd1c8409cda66f4c0ce5ccd2f43b.jpg

How about Aganem........, Agamenm........., Aganemn......., Agogo......, (blast it!) - ALAN?

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Shifting the topic back to the Great Western in 1947.

Has anyone seen any records of Manors running in South Devon in the post war years, I know that they were relatively rare until BR days when they were moved down to replace the Bulldogs, but I need to find justification for the kit I am building.

So far I have found a photo dated 1948 of 7813 at Newton Abbot (presumably receiving attention at the works), the kit includes plates for 7819 as part of the etch so any opportunity to model 7819 is a huge plus, but happy to buy new plates if necessary.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bgman said:

Valentines Day.... Huh !

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

Well I came home from work with a nice bouquet of a dozen red roses for swmbo. She said 'I suppose you'll be wanting me to open my legs now'

I said ' Just put them in a vase my love':mellow:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 81C said:

That was in one hell of a state when I last saw it at Minehead at least they should have that up and running next year along with a naff

name on the smoke box no doubt that bloke with the ginger hair will be gagging for a footplate ride.:sarcastichand:

About 100 sheets the last time I looked. Very nice too.

https://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk/special-tours/footplate-experience

Edited by gwrrob
Wrong details. Add a link.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Has anyone seen any records of Manors running in South Devon in the post war years, I know that they were relatively rare until BR days when they were moved down to replace the Bulldogs, but I need to find justification for the kit I am building.

So far I have found a photo dated 1948 of 7813 at Newton Abbot (presumably receiving attention at the works), the kit includes plates for 7819 as part of the etch so any opportunity to model 7819 is a huge plus, but happy to buy new plates if necessary.

I don't remember ever seeing one in our time Rich. Plenty seen in the 50s but I'd go for 7813 myself.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Manors were used as pilots ovet the South Devon banks at that time.A trawl of the GWR Soc.Archive for allocation in 1950 reveals three at Laira (83D)....7801/7804/7809 and two at Newton Abbot...7812/7813.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Ian Hargrave said:

Manors were used as pilots ovet the South Devon banks at that time.A trawl of the GWR Soc.Archive for allocation in 1950 reveals three at Laira (83D)....7801/7804/7809 and two at Newton Abbot...7812/7813.

Unfortunately this was not until BR days, under the Great Western these duties were in the hands of Bulldogs.  Now logic says that I should be building a Bulldog kit not a Manor, but unfortunately I don't have one (and need to get the existing kit stash built before I go buying some more...)

• RMweb Gold

Rich in your time scale 7801 & 7804 were shedded at Bristol SPM it's the nearest shed that had them, I have seen Baydon Manor 7804 in a photo somewhere in Devon I just can't find it at the moment.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Unfortunately this was not until BR days, under the Great Western these duties were in the hands of Bulldogs.  Now logic says that I should be building a Bulldog kit not a Manor, but unfortunately I don't have one (and need to get the existing kit stash built before I go buying some more...)

Excellent - build the kit and then invent some justification for running it!

I do it all the time.

There's no lasting harm.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, 81C said:

Rich in your time scale 7801 & 7804 were shedded at Bristol SPM it's the nearest shed that had them, I have seen Baydon Manor 7804 in a photo somewhere in Devon I just can't find it at the moment.  

Thanks, looks like I need to buy a set of plates for Baydon Manor then as that sounds ideal, as you say being a SPM loco there is every chance it could have ended up in the South Hams so even without the photo that's good enough for me.  Should anyone find it, I would of course be interested to know the source....  

12 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Excellent - build the kit and then invent some justification for running it!

I do it all the time.

There's no lasting harm.

Looks like I have managed the justification, now I just need to actually get it working.  Not exactly the easiest thing given I already have two kit built chassis locos sat in the "to fix" pile.  Still, building the etched body at least makes for enjoyable modelling.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Some Friday afternoon delight in the shape of Castle class 4097 Kenilworth Castle on a down express.

Wow, your Brent looks like it's been transported back to the early thirties.  Very nice.

Is that Castle a Will's kit?

John C.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Wow, your Brent looks like it's been transported back to the early thirties.  Very nice.

Is that Castle a Will's kit?

John C.

Yes John and Tony Wright tweaked her at Stafford to get her running better. I think the flywheel was catching the inside of the body. It needs a good running in.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It needs a good running in.

It needs some new transfers on the tender as well.... :P

Does look very nice!

I really need to make it to a show where Tony is doing his loco clinic so that I can get to the bottom of what is wrong with my 47xx.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

It needs some new transfers on the tender as well.... :P

Does look very nice!

I really need to make it to a show where Tony is doing his loco clinic so that I can get to the bottom of what is wrong with my 47xx.

I gave up with my kit and bought a Heljan jobby, I could not get it to go round curves once the side rods went on I really need a second set of rods so I can split them JLTRT:butcher: