Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

That sounds much more interesting. I have to say at this point, that whilst I may not be a fan of the modern image scene, but I do enjoy artistry, whatever it represents and I object to the loud critics at exhibitions. 

Ok, it's not your bag, there's not enough happening on the branch layout, or the trains are too clean, or that loco never ran there (or then) or it's crude old Tri-ang / Dublo, or it's only 00, would look better in p4, or N gauge is too small, or the train length is too short, or why doesn't he go DCC, or there should / shouldn't be a signal / foot crossing there... 

I've heard them all and it's always the folks who don't even have a layout at home (they're going to model X station, when they can find some really accurate drawings.

Those who make the huffy, judgemental comments should either build and show something better, or shut up and go home.

I've had the same thing with the vintage bikes. Some "expert" will say "That shouldn't be chromed" and I'll say: "Only on 1948-49 models, which this is". If asked where their bike is, they're "having it professionally restored". Well, I restored this myself from a box of rusty bits and I use it every day.

I was talking about the fashions that railway modelling goes through.

Sorry if you hadn't guessed that I was joking Clive, that's why I stuck in the emoticons. :D

I'd also like to agree with you that it is actually damned difficult to build a convincing model of a loco depot. 

Even though I haven't seen yours, I'm certain that it wouldn't have had the old cliche of redundant 6ft driving wheels leaned up against the walls. 

Do you have a link to it on here?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

That was the comment I use to get when exhibiting Hanging Hill depot.

Scratchbuilt buildings of the right type for the Eastern Region, scratchbuilt figures,  scratchbuilt breakdown crane etc. Track plan a depot foreman could work with, no dead end fuel points or storage tanks that could take less diesel than the train delivering it was carrying. Even the canteen/mess had enough seating for a shift of fitters with a few spare seats for any drivers at the depot between driving duties. There were even scratchbuilt chips on the canteen hot plate. Quite a lot of research went into the building of the layout. 

I would still get "Another ****ing "Modern Image" layout." as people passed by.

Forgot to say there was always at least four or five scratchbuilt locos on shed.

Pre sound and DC controlled.

I think decent MI layouts are great.  Also many people quite like the noise; don't know why but they do. I had one young man with Autism that kept revisiting my rather tatty MI EM layout at its' only Exhibition outing  some years back, because he wanted to hear the Horns and  especially the Start Ups.

You see 'old chaps', it takes all sorts and the hobby will only survive if loads of people reproduce what they experienced as spotters or just observers. Just because some of us are old enough to remember Broad Gauge, doesn't mean we don't like loads of other stuff. 

I appreciate the work and love that has gone into many projects. I even like the Lego one that does the rounds locally to 36E. Long may the variety exist.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022
Spelloin
  • Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

...... I object to the loud critics at exhibitions.  :D

I generally object to the smelly ones at exhibitions and will probably ignore what they say :D

I've spent ages standing in front of a layout that is not a GWR BLT or mainline etc. It just has "that something" - sometimes of course you cant put your finger on it, but you still take something away.

Variety is what keeps this hobby alive.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

Being awkward, I like things from well before I was born. I remember the BR blue era well, but it was just everyday stuff to us as children, same as Austin Maxis and Ford Sierras. They don't do much for me either, despite being rare now. 

I did spend a lot of time admiring an 00 model of Loughborough Midland at Kendal show, as it was in the 80s. 

Because it was well made and I had spent a fair bit of time there in the period modelled. 

I'm at least as much interested in model making as in the railways themselves, so it doesn't matter to me what it is, if a model has that 'something' that appeals to me, I'll spend time looking at it. If it doesn't, I certainly wouldn't stand there trying to put it down, that's just plain rude. As I said, I can't be doing with people like that. 

• Like 5

You beat me to it there Neal, the folks who smell bad is one reason that the memsahib only accompanies me to the odd exhibition and then only the small ones, because she doesn't like crowds.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You beat me to it there Neal, the folks who smell bad is one reason that the memsahib only accompanies me to the odd exhibition and then only the small ones, because she doesn't like crowds.

Given my last exhibition was Warley December 2019, it would be great to get to an exhibition again, although I doubt it will be this year. 

Double facemarks covered in a nice fragrance, should a smelly person be near :D

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

One of my friends who is an ex driver and has been going to exhibitions since the seventies always says that you can go to to any exhibition, big or small and there will be two or three layouts that you go back to have another look. They're often not your era or your area of interest (Not many LSWR / SR / Southern Electric layouts up in the lakes, which is his thing and definitely no Rhodesian Railways!) Those are the ones that have the something that really appeals to you personally. There may well be others that are equally as good or far better in the eyes of others, but those two, they make it all worth the petrol, entrance fee and the fish and chips money, every time.

I've found that to be true as well. 

As for your fragrant face masks, Miss Riding Hood advocates carrying a fire extinguisher filled with Chanel No5 at railway exhibitions / toy fairs.

As long as I don't have to buy it!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Austin Maxis and Ford Sierras. They don't do much for me either, despite being rare now. 

Austin Maxis (my dad's, for the avoidance of doubt) didn't do much for me at the time either, except for the way the seats could fold down to make a double bed...

I did have a jelly mould later, which was actually a pretty good family car.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I like a traditional box van, no matter what the scale.

On 04/03/2022 at 03:52, St Enodoc said:

Austin Maxis (my dad's, for the avoidance of doubt) didn't do much for me at the time either, except for the way the seats could fold down to make a double bed...

The 1966-72 Vauxhall Cresta / Viscount did too, but with much more style and the engine was pointing the right way! :D

On 04/03/2022 at 03:52, St Enodoc said:

I did have a jelly mould later, which was actually a pretty good family car.

I remember those coming out and they looked like spaceships until we saw the first one with it's dustbin lid hubcaps missing. 

Given it's antiquated underpinnings, the Sierra has pretty much set the shape for every car since.

Whether you think that's a good thing or not is in the eye of the beholder! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The 1966-72 Vauxhall Cresta / Viscount did too, but with much more style and the engine was pointing the right way! :D

My Cortina Mk2 estate did the trick too but the best "full length load area" (ahem) was in my later Marina van.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/03/2022 at 04:42, Mallard60022 said:

I think decent MI layouts are great.  Also many people quite like the noise; don't know why but they do. I had one young man with Autism that kept revisiting my rather tatty MI EM layout at its' only Exhibition outing  some years back, because he wanted to hear the Horns and  especially the Start Ups.

You see 'old chaps', it takes all sorts and the hobby will only survive if loads of people reproduce what they experienced as spotters or just observers. Just because some of us are old enough to remember Broad Gauge, doesn't mean we don't like loads of other stuff. 

I appreciate the work and love that has gone into many projects. I even like the Lego one that does the rounds locally to 36E. Long may the variety exist.

Phil 

Agree, Phil.  If you take the trouble to visit a show prepare to enjoy it, not criticise it unduly!  I used to  seek out that what was of interest and hang the rest.  I don't know how much I have missed over the years!  What's with all the smelly folk?  It seems they haven't taken a bath since the last time this topic was on these pages!:unsure:

Brian.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Agree, Phil.  If you take the trouble to visit a show prepare to enjoy it, not criticise it unduly!  I used to  seek out that what was of interest and hang the rest.  I don't know how much I have missed over the years!  What's with all the smelly folk?  It seems they haven't taken a bath since the last time this topic was on these pages!:unsure:

Brian.

You're right there, even if it's not my area of interest, I always have a look at every layout, even if there's only a couple that really grab my attention, you never know what you might miss, more importantly, might learn.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My Cortina Mk2 estate did the trick too but the best "full length load area" (ahem) was in my later Marina van.

I had a Vauxhall "101" estate, it was over thirty years old when I bought it. You could have held Woodstock in the back of that thing. By comparison I find modern estate cars disappoingly designed with intrusive wheel arches and light clusters.

Motor manufacturers ought to employ some railway modellers on their design teams!

Sorry about the topic drift! :offtopic:

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/03/2022 at 15:06, MrWolf said:

I had a Vauxhall "101" estate, it was over thirty years old when I bought it. You could have held Woodstock in the back of that thing. By comparison I find modern estate cars disappoingly designed with intrusive wheel arches and light clusters.

Motor manufacturers ought to employ some railway modellers on their design teams!

Sorry about the topic drift! :offtopic:

A lot of cars have shrunk over the years from the glory days of the fifties and sixties.  For sheer size a lot of high end GM products were hard to beat; my '66 Olds was huge, shiny dark blue with huge whitewalls and white leather interior with a trunk/boot big enough you could sleep in  and a big V8 to move it.  Got about 9mpg around town but it was so cool it was worth the expense!

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2022 at 12:42, Mallard60022 said:

As someone gifted with an ASD, I whole heartedly agree.  Those sounds give me goosebumps just the same as being stood next to a real live steam loco at full pelt or even just sat there brewing up and I love it (now I know).

Edited by Tim Dubya
linkage
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

It does affect people differently, both myself and my other half have similar problems, I wouldn't call it a gift. To us, electronic sounds, particularly gadgets, games, warning buzzers, bleepers etc are hugely irritating, the Memsahib almost jumps out of her skin at certain mobile ring tones. In my case, add to that the damage to my right side hearing from something that went bang. The "real version" of any sounds such as music or vehicles is fine, but electronically generated sound is a whole lot of disorientating white noise to us.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10