RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hello Garethp8873

Be aware that GN Quad Arts were designed to run as two pairs of slightly different four coach sets. The 00 Poll Team found no evidence of any having run 'singly' (as a 4-set) other than on a non-service train in an emergency.

The M&GN Society Quad Art at the North Norfolk Railway has been 'specially adapted'.

The GE Quad Arts were designed as 4-car sets and ran as such.

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
Spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Some followers have no respect for God's Wonderful locomotives.

spamswsr.jpg.1b37a6b87f8132fc07a1752d424229b0.jpg

To such an extent that he stayed on the platform, rather than boarding the train ?

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/04/2023 at 16:18, BMacdermott said:

Hello Garethp8873

Be aware that GN Quad Arts were designed to run as two pairs of slightly different four coach sets. The 00 Poll Team found no evidence of any having run 'singly' (as a 4-set) other than on a non-service train in an emergency.

The M&GN Society Quad Art at the North Norfolk Railway has been 'specially adapted'.

The GE Quad Arts were designed as 4-car sets and ran as such.

Brian

Thanks for that information @BMacdermott. I must admit I was puzzled when I looked at the listings yesterday and saw two lots of set 79 and 74. It's going to be painful but I will bite the bullet and put in an order for a full set 79 at somepoint :)

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Some followers have no respect for God's Wonderful locomotives.

spamswsr.jpg.1b37a6b87f8132fc07a1752d424229b0.jpg

As long as it isn't GWR 813 then I can turn a blind eye... I mean how can anyone not respect 813?

52030970438_21cb7193b2_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hello Garethp8873

Not wishing to go 'off topic' from Rob's thread but - for the sake of 'completeness' - a chap on the Wright Writes thread (chris p bacon) is saying that he has knowledge of a set being split (into a 4-set) to work the 4.06pm Hitchin to Sandy and return.

I am looking into that, but am sceptical. The sets were not designed to run in service singly and the big question is...why would a set be split for this journey even if it were 'operationally within the rules'? The CWN booked it for a 'full' 8-set.

I have just spoken with a railwayman friend who worked at King's Cross and Dunstable with the Quads and he has no knowledge of them ever working 'split'. And he has asked many of his contemporaries.

The truth is out there! (As they say on The X Files!🙂)

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello again to Garethp8873

I have just heard that LNER drawings appear in an LNER Society Journal that prove that the couplers between  two sets could not be used independently for 'service trains'. So, they only ran as 8-coach trains in service to the best of my knowledge, research and understanding. (Noting that the NNR set has had its inner end adapted.)

Brian

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Is that physically possible?

Sadly, yes.

During a bit of door work on Friday night we had to diplomatically point out to a svelte young lady that possibly she has had enough of the Kopparberg she was  clinging to?

Because she hadn't noticed that the micro dress she was wearing had ridden up and everyone could see her (admittedly very nice) bottom and perhaps for the sake of her embarrassment, decency and safety, she might just want to have a word with herself?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Kopparberg

But Mike said cider. Kopparberg isn’t even if it claims to be on the outside.

Paul.

(Neither is Rekorderlig or anything else that has fruit in it that isn’t apple.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Okay, shall I recount the time a girlfriend of mine redecorated a whitewashed brick staircase purple due to an overdose of cider and blackcurrant?

Other examples of "too much cider" are available, didn't realise that I had stumbled into a CAMRA meeting! 😉🤣

• Funny 9

8 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again to Garethp8873

I have just heard that LNER drawings appear in an LNER Society Journal that prove that the couplers between  two sets could not be used independently for 'service trains'. So, they only ran as 8-coach trains in service to the best of my knowledge, research and understanding. (Noting that the NNR set has had its inner end adapted.)

Brian

Hello again,

That again is appreciated and further cements my decision to get a full 8 set :)

• Round of applause 1

On 23/04/2023 at 03:52, 2ManySpams said:

IMG_20230422_162620_1.jpg.f4479dc30e85e513baee2a45a33a1eee.jpg

That's not the Somerset cider I remember from my youth!

They reckoned there was a whole ward at the BRI dedicated to the after-effects of drinking too much scrumpy. Apocryphal no doubt but I do remember that a friend of mine came up to London for the Stones Hyde Park concert (5 July 1969 for those too young to remember) and he brought a whole polythene container maybe 10L or even 20 of the stuff. It was lethal and of course unchilled so he had to keep releasing pressure, getting some very strange looks on the tube between Paddington and South Ken.

My chemist's nose could detect large amounts of aldehydes being emitted so I stayed well clear of it, hence living to tell the tale, ah, memories. At least I still have mine.

You can only imagine the effects of drinking all that out in the sun on a warm summer's day to the strains of "I can't git no satisfaction" being belting out.

Edited by BWsTrains
typo
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Hall class 5998 Trevor Hall heads east with a train of empty cattle wagons. The venerable barn is the old kit from Wills and is certainly not in the same league as the scratch-built model on Chuffnell Regis @Graham T

DSCN6862(2).JPG.8400bfe2a863be8d069ccf7ec8456677.JPG

DSCN6863(2).JPG.2b61edb6c2440555b019c3cd0541368e.JPG

Surely those cattle wagons are full of Cornish broccoli?!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Hall class 5998 Trevor Hall heads east with a train of empty cattle wagons. The venerable barn is the old kit from Wills and is certainly not in the same league as the scratch-built model on Chuffnell Regis @Graham T

I'd sack the roofer, if I were you ;) 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks Robin - I think your barn is in a slightly better state of repair than mine!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/04/2023 at 15:31, gwrrob said:

In fairness I'll post this link to the KR Models Mica B but I'm yet to decide whether to order them. Six different running numbers are listed and also available in packs of three too, with a good saving this way. Like others have said lets wait and see on this one.

https://krmodels.net/product/gwr-mica-b/

Having seen this example of their palbrick sent to @Jenny EmilyI’m definitely holding fire. Shocking.

375009C9-6C1F-468F-AF36-E16421323477.jpeg.faea2bd9c4219a775df2ef746110af64.jpeg

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry............pink wheels !!?!??!@%&? 

Mortified of Sheeptown. 

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2