RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

King class, what else today, 6022 King Edward Third heads west. A Hawksworth coach leads the stock. God Save The King !

DSCN7951.JPG.cf4e08b3ff42181697c6189f57c57633.JPG

DSCN7952.JPG.0d172784001a2e4cee11abda50915b03.JPG

DSCN7953.JPG.ac4069080933765466286d51194aae5b.JPG

DSCN7954.JPG.b5ccff0033a5d8cbcbde2586388f9dc4.JPG

DSCN7956.JPG.ea029b72802b4c999dca572d12d4091c.JPG

And the King makes his stately way through Brent to the strains of Sir Hubert Parry’s “I Was Glad”. Which starts this morning’s ceremony .Charles is a big fan of Parry’s music. Goosebump stuff which is good to listen to but even better to sing.. If watching the service….and some won’t be….expect some terrific music..Nobody does music in churches and cathedrals better than us. 

On June 2  1953,we watched the Coronation of our late Queen on a 9” monochrome tv with a water filled screen magnifying glass on its front. Richard Dimbleby was the commentator on a ground breaking occasion for public broadcasting. The full colour version became available in cinemas a while afterwards. If you decide to view this morning,I hope you enjoy.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And the King makes his stately way through Brent to the strains of Sir Hubert Parry’s “I Was Glad”. Which starts this morning’s ceremony .Charles is a big fan of Parry’s music. Goosebump stuff which is good to listen to but even better to sing.. If watching the service….and some won’t be….expect some terrific music..Nobody does music in churches and cathedrals better than us. 

On June 2  1953,we watched the Coronation of our late Queen on a 9” monochrome tv with a water filled screen magnifying glass on its front. Richard Dimbleby was the commentator on a ground breaking occasion for public broadcasting. The full colour version became available in cinemas a while afterwards. If you decide to view this morning,I hope you enjoy.

Yes , I remember it well . A 9 inch screen with the curtains pulled ( even on a rainy day!). All of the kids in the street gathered around a wonderful , kind lady’s tv. 
And Everest conquered, too .

Edited by 1466
Added Everest etc
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

If you decide to view this morning,I hope you enjoy.

Having arrived home in France last night, Sherry had little hope of watching the events of today. Happily she is now enjoying every minute on her Macbook, thanks to BBC online, while I plough through RMweb. The King is two days younger than me. I am not very interested in the Royals, but am in no doubt they do GB plc a great favour in tourism etc income. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mattingleycustom said:

Do I detect corridor connections that actually meet between the Hawksworth coaches?, very impressed.

Glenn

Nice to hear from you Glenn @mattingleycustom and yes , I'm using Hunt magnetic couplings to good effect there.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

mink.JPG.2a3aaf350c8d3c86feb353b017d4095a.JPG

When I first moved to the North East in 1990, sister Mink G 112889 was still in use at Thirsk, not too far from the  NRM. It  was on a siding slightly higher than the mainline looking a bit superior to the new class 91 sets being tested. Luckily it went to the SVR when it was surplus to requirements.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Which this greedy boy has just done…..just saying.

Quality product Mr H. I suppose you lot will be wanting a photoshoot when I get mine. Hall on parcels perhaps ?

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

ATM,Derails are offering a10% reduction if you buy two.

Only two, I ordered a pallet.

C2B1BE6A-43A4-484A-B694-A24D96D02495.jpeg.691bffac0950f996c204da0981dc2025.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Now change direction and look at the Dapol website for another treat……..

Oh! Wonderful!

(Er, if they get the firebox right.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I note that the news of its release has not as yet been divulged to this forum but at the G&WR event this weekend .

Whatever……it’s certainly more ( as Robin currently asserts )  of us being spoiled with some really good stuff on its way.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I note that the news of its release has not as yet been divulged to this forum but at the G&WR event this weekend .

Whatever……it’s certainly more ( as Robin currently asserts )  of us being spoiled with some really good stuff on its way.

Wow, didn’t see that coming!

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/new-oo-gauge-28xx-2884-2-8-0-locomotive-announced

Strange choice when the Hornby models are pretty decent, although I appreciate they haven’t been in the range for a while. But surely a Saint or Hawksworth County would be a much more open goal?!

• Agree 10