A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

If seeing those coaches wasn't enough today I've received my long awaited Rapido 15xx. I have to admit on having a feeling of trepidation, I spoke to several modellers about this last weekend. However , it's a beauty, with all parts intact, no glue marks or wonky chimney and runs very well, this will improve after running in.

Great news that yours is spot-on, Robin. You were indeed apprehensive when we spoke.

All in favour of supporting and buying models 'close to home', which is why Beaworthy, Southern Railway, will see Manors and a 43xx, because both classes ran past our (Sherry's and my) Surrey school. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello Robin,

As I have recently posted a photo of my 1509 in the Rapido thread I won't post again here, but my reason for buying the NCB version are similar to yours.

As a Coventry Kid from Courthouse Green we were some way away from Keresley Colliery but if the wind was in the wrong/right direction we could smell the Homefire plant. Plus, their product was consumed by my parents Baxi Bermuda back burner.

Mine is starting to run more smoothly after an hour of running in so far, with more to come this week.

Minor glue marks will be treated with Matt varnish to cover them up.

A BR black version is also appealing to me, once the credit card has settled again :)

Shame about the Sky Blues conceding late last night, but its early days yet.

PUSB, Nigel.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Rather more than ten years though,  Phil, forty-five to be precise! Those LMS coaches first came out in blue Airfix boxes in 1977.

Hopefully, Dapol will get round to replacing some of their older wagons based around  even more ancient ex-Hornby Dublo body mouldings eventually. 

Wagons they've developed from scratch in- house like the tar tank and Grampus, plus a whole bunch of more modern subjects, demonstrate what they are capable of.

John

Grief, I'd forgotten that; so it was. We thought they were pretty smart at the time...I think?

Rob, you've either got to make a small cameo Layout for that Maroon beast OR, it was tried out (unsuccessfully due to weight) at the Royal Navy Stores Place, not far from Brent on the way to Plymuff, before being nabbed by the NCB! Or both!

Looks great matey; such memories need to be relived.

Phil

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

We thought they were pretty smart at the time...I think?

I have a set, flushglazed and repainted. As long as you don't stand them next to Hornby ones they look (and run) fine.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Grief, I'd forgotten that; so it was. We thought they were pretty smart at the time...I think?

Rob, you've either got to make a small cameo Layout for that Maroon beast OR, it was tried out (unsuccessfully due to weight) at the Royal Navy Stores Place, not far from Brent on the way to Plymuff, before being nabbed by the NCB! Or both!

Phil

Yes, I think Rob should build a nice little SheepBloke style cameo for the new off-green loco.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

Wrangaton?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup, that's the place. Ever so secret...not! far enough away from anywhere to not get bombed.

P

Off topic, but when I was in Washington, not Sussex or op Norf, somewhere, but DC there were operatives about with flack jackets on with Secret Service,  written on them, I mentioned to one of them that I didn't think that he was very secret, as he was advertising the fact that he was supposed to be. He just laughed, I assume that, that had been pointed out to him before.

I wouldn't have thought that Wrangaton was very secret, but far enough from Plymouth to avoid Adolf taking an interest in it, or for that matter Comrade Stalin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Off topic, but when I was in Washington, not Sussex or op Norf, somewhere, but DC there were operatives about with flack jackets on with Secret Service,  written on them, I mentioned to one of them that I didn't think that he was very secret, as he was advertising the fact that he was supposed to be. He just laughed, I assume that, that had been pointed out to him before.

I wouldn't have thought that Wrangaton was very secret, but far enough from Plymouth to avoid Adolf taking an interest in it, or for that matter Comrade Stalin.

It always seemed in a weird place behind an Embankment and I think I only ever caught a glimpse of an Engine in there once, when travelling towards Plymouth and I was at the Window so could see into the cutting where the Gates were.

Near where I am now and where Ranskill Wagon Works was back in the old days, there was a large Armaments Facility, producing Shells I believe. I was told it was built there, off the ECML in an area where there were almost always Fogs or Mists at night so considered safe from the Enemy. Mostly Staffed by Women and you knew if they worked there as their hands were Yellow. 

There was also a huge Fuel Depot near Misson and later during the Cold War, a Rocket (Missile) facilty near  Misterton I think it was ?

Phil

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Such are the vagaries of the war office/MOD. There were several establishments in the Yelverton area, now either abandoned or housing estates. Mostly the latter!

All I knew about Yelverton was the old RAF Base, which was a bit of an adventure playground way out in the wilds back in the late 50s.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

What's there or will you be arrested if you tell me?

P

What's not there any longer is the local depot for ReFurnish - the furniture charity, which was an ideal place to recycle old cupboards and the like from Kernow Towers.

What is there is a slightly dodgy looking cafe at the main gate and other businesses...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

after…I hope… TBG has worked his magic as I assume he will when restored to his good self. 

He tells me he's well enough to have been weathering some coaches, alas not for me though.😉

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

There was also a huge Fuel Depot near Misson and later during the Cold War, a Rocket (Missile) facilty near  Misterton I think it was ?

I can't speak for the fuel depot, but the rocket site was at Misson.  When I lived up that neck of the woods, I was a regular visitor to it, as it then (and I think still does) act as home for a government surplus dealer.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, figworthy said:

I can't speak for the fuel depot, but the rocket site was at Misson.  When I lived up that neck of the woods, I was a regular visitor to it, as it then (and I think still does) act as home for a government surplus dealer.

Adrian

Ah yes. Thanks for that. My hazy post Covid Brain.

The Fuel Depot was near Walkeringham. It may have been a supply for Finningly RAF Base?

The Rocket site is a place of interest to all involved in ex Military stuff, mainly vehicles. I haven't been out that way for a long time.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

This appears to open up all sorts of Rule 1 opportunities 😈

Doesn't it just. The only one in that story I could challenge was when the Warship Clapped out and King John was used. That was the last KIng I ever saw at Plymuff in 1962, it was running Tender First towards Mutley Tunnel. Maybe they got the year wrong? Or maybe it was just doing another turn? In fact I think the KIngs had really gone from 83D by at least mid '62?

As far as I've ever known, Kings were banned from crossing the Tamar and a Castle would have been used or even two smaller Engines

My desperation for a Rule 1 job, is a King Through Seaton Junction circa, 1959/60, on a Down Diversion. Can't find any  restrictions really from Castle Cary, through Yeovil  and Yeovil Junction (but what do I know about 'Red' route Engines?).

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I should have said that I got that link from a discussion elsewhere on RMW, about the Okehampton reopening that has become a 'north south divide' battle fest about Tavistock and Gunnislake! I won't say any more but do go there if you fancy some interesting stereotype comments about 'the North' (i.e. north of the M42 ish)

There is a beautiful Layout based on Bere Alston, on that site.