RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Life does not exist west of the M5 either and certainly nothing exists west of the Tamar. That makes Brizzle the Capital of the UK.

Up here, anyone from south of Preston gets called a southerner. My usual response is try walking into a pub in Birmingham and calling them southerners, you may want to call an ambulance in advance.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Up here, anyone from south of Preston gets called a southerner. My usual response is try walking into a pub in Birmingham and calling them southerners, you may want to call an ambulance in advance.

Inbetweeners is us Midlands lot! Then a soon as you get to Donny and South Yorkshire, it's bandit country!

P

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Life does not exist west of the M5 either and certainly nothing exists west of the Tamar. That makes Brizzle the Capital of the UK.

OK….if that’s the case,about time GWR & the city fathers spent cash on smartening it up a bit  in recognition of its status. The station interior,platforms & furnishings have changed little since my days as a student there in the early 

1960’s.IMHO not 21st C standards.Platform access being just one case in point.Same tunnel,same steps,same grind with heavy luggage: current platform height too low for new units: looking tired &in need of a good clean up.

Try climbing steps to platform to join your train just as an arrived Paddington Hitachi is disgorging its load ….downhill . 
Sorry to rant but I find it sad that such a great station hasn’t moved with the times 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

OK….if that’s the case,about time GWR & the city fathers spent cash on smartening it up a bit  in recognition of its status. The station interior,platforms & furnishings have changed little since my days as a student there in the early 

1960’s.IMHO not 21st C standards.Platform access being just one case in point.Same tunnel,same steps,same grind with heavy luggage: current platform height too low for new units: looking tired &in need of a good clean up.

Try climbing steps to platform to join your train just as an arrived Paddington Hitachi is disgorging its load ….downhill . 
Sorry to rant but I find it sad that such a great station hasn’t moved with the times 

I remember those Steps Ian...argggh. Rant approved.

Rather like some other decent Stations ... however I think they spent everything on Reading so that Mike Stationmaster would be happy! (LOL).

Network Rail is the firm to get at, or is it a GWR Station?

The latter have done others...even Retford. Lots of paint jobs AND a new Lift. However there was some local assistance with that, Lower Platform access on the Sheffield side.

I have not been to Temple Meads for decades.

The other place that needs serious white paint is New Street Nuclear Bunker.

Philth.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Having grown up in London amid road signs to Hatfield and the North (also a good pub rock band), it was quite a shock after moving to Edinburgh to see signs to Carlisle and the South.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I remember those Steps Ian...argggh. Rant approved.

Rather like some other decent Stations ... however I think they spent everything on Reading so that Mike Stationmaster would be happy! (LOL).

Network Rail is the firm to get at, or is it a GWR Station?

The latter have done others...even Retford. Lots of paint jobs AND a new Lift. However there was some local assistance with that, Lower Platform access on the Sheffield side.

I have not been to Temple Meads for decades.

The other place that needs serious white paint is New Street Nuclear Bunker.

Philth.

New Street has an identity crisis.Having started life as John Lewis Central ( now closed ),it has morphed into shopping mall with a subway with slimline platforms.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Inbetweeners is us Midlands lot! Then a soon as you get to Donny and South Yorkshire, it's bandit country!

P

The twee description of the Midlands is Middle England.Let’s arbitrarily say beginning at Milton Keynes in the South & ending at Chesterfield in the North.Western border is fairly easy-Wales. Eastern edge is problematic ,So again arbitrarily I’ll say the ECML . Howls of disagreement erupt ……

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

New Street has an identity crisis.Having started life as John Lewis Central ( now closed ),it has morphed into shopping mall with a subway with slimline platforms.

We've had to change trains there many times, when you get off it's like a subway station in some forgotten corner of the former Soviet Union, up into the shopping mall that's reminiscent of the hall of mirrors despite the colour coding, past the armed police and out through the giant spitball where at least if you don't get hassled for spare change by crackheads or run over by someone on a takeaway delivery bike, you can at least admire the restored cinema and the last remnants of the LNWR memorial.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

All I knew about Yelverton was the old RAF Base, which was a bit of an adventure playground way out in the wilds back in the late 50s.

Harrowbarrow, IIRC.

Fighter 'drome for defending Plymouth/Devonport back in the day.

Banks around the dispersal areas were still in place last time I was up there. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Having grown up in London amid road signs to Hatfield and the North (also a good pub rock band), it was quite a shock after moving to Edinburgh to see signs to Carlisle and the South.

I've often wondered:

why Hatfield?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I doubt anything much of significance will be done at Bristol TM in that regard.

Having worked there and lived in the area for many years, I equate anyone in authority in Bristol actually authorising anything actually worth doing and that the city needs, with the likelihood of a p!ss up in a brewery...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

I doubt anything much of significance will be done at Bristol TM in that regard.

Having worked there and lived in the area for many years, I equate anyone in authority in Bristol actually authorising anything actually worth doing and that the city needs, with the likelihood of a p!ss up in a brewery...

Not I sincerely hope the late unlamented George’s brewery….

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Welchester said:

I've often wondered:

why Hatfield?

I've also often wondered why a small village to the east of Doncaster was so special when it came to road signs near London.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Welchester said:

I've often wondered:

why Hatfield?

And why not?

You have such delights as the Comet Hotel, which is called something else these days but all the locals still call it the Comet. Ok Why Hatfield?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1