A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Thank you.  As you may remember, I've built the odd crossover or two to OO-SF but never a whole layout and only ever tested those with one or two of my locos, certainly none with a tender behind.  If my master plan escapes my head, I will need a double -slip so that kinda spells danger if it's that much trouble.  Time for a think 🤔

My apologies, but I wasn't aware of your previous building of OO-SF pointwork...

The only OO-SF I have built is the crossover on Bethesda, which I tested (on the bench) before committing to laying it on the layout. I tested it with all the locos that I owned at the time (about 5 years ago), which were ever likely to run on the layout. Most of these have turned Romford or Markits RP25 wheels. All ran fine. I later found out that the 'design spec' (if that's the correct term) for OO-SF was based around this kind of wheel. A couple of Bachmann locos with original chassis ran OK as well (pannier and 08).

Since then, some RTR stuff has come on the scene, which doesn't conform to the limitations laid down by OO-SF. If you don't want to run any of these new items, then fine, but if you do succumb, then you are in trouble.

The problems also occur on another item of pointwork, built to OO-SF by another modeller and later sold to me (which I haven't yet used and sadly probably won't use now).

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I really do hope there will still be a market for second-hand Bachmann panniers when the new Accurascale ones arrive because mine will be up for sale.

They are indeed a half decent model and run well but I don’t want top-feed for the 1930’s, plus I’m gradually edging toward DCC sound fitting. The idea of myself doing some amateur surgery on the body, a bit more hacking around to get a speaker in and also investing probably £130 in a sound decoder to put in an old model is unattractive to me.

That’s why I’ll be in for two Accurascale sound fitted panniers. If there are people out there who will get good use of the Bachmann models I’d be delighted if they would buy them! (But in the meantime they will continue to fill in as being the best available).

Pete.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, Star-rider said:

I really do hope there will still be a market for second-hand Bachmann panniers when the new Accurascale ones arrive because mine will be up for sale.

Well when the time comes I shall need another one (whether I like it or not) because (and so I am told) the optimum number of panniers is one more than you already have.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've opted for a sans top feed pannier, just the basic DC version, no vynil roof, velour seats or 8 track player.

It should behave on equally basic Peco track that my relics run on.

I doubt that the release of a superior pannier is going to hurt the secondhand market too much, as there's plenty of modellers on a budget and a high demand for Bachmann pannier chassis to fit under other types of locomotive.

I've bought a number of panniers from eBay and just scouting around (whilst ignoring the loco breakers silly prices) shows that there's nothing for nothing. 

Recent, (last 25 years or more) Bachmann panniers still command around £50-60 and even the early version or it's Mainline ancestor, both with the odd mammalian dome and washing machine full of nails mechanism fetching £30-40.

In contrast, if you want a basic 0-6-0 chassis to cannibalise, a late Hornby Jinty can be had for £15.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

My apologies, but I wasn't aware of your previous building of OO-SF pointwork...

No problem, I dabble from time to time but don't really get anywhere.  Looking at the cost of replacing my OO-SF gauges with, say OO with 1mm flangeways (!?) would be well over £100, so I think I'll stick with what I've got for now.  I guess I can always fettle if need be.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/02/2024 at 06:55, Captain Kernow said:

You are a lucky chap, then! Every single 14XX that I've ever come into contact with has run very badly.

You're very welcome to come and have a play with mine to break that "evil cycle"

4869 Running Session

Weather rather better than in Old Blighty right now (or just about any time TBH) 😎

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 1466 said:

My 3d printed body of a curved frame Bulldog arrived today . Captain Kernow commented that they are in the first rank of 3 d manufacturers and I agree .

Ive struggled to add photos but will try again . I think that my example is well detailed and exquisite . I have no interest or connection with the manufacturer except as a contented customer .

IMG_2345.jpeg

The cab photo reminds me. That reversing wheel/lever is very fragile, and right in the line of fire when the bodies are taken of the supports structure. Consequently, they often lose one or both handles, so you'll find a spare piece in your bag of bits with the shell,

Cheers

Bill.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 1466 said:

My 3d printed body of a curved frame Bulldog arrived today . Captain Kernow commented that they are in the first rank of 3 d manufacturers and I agree .

Ive struggled to add photos but will try again . I think that my example is well detailed and exquisite . I have no interest or connection with the manufacturer except as a contented customer .

IMG_2349.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

That's even more incredible, looking at it from different angles.

To think that you can simply press a button and reproduce more of these, unbelievable.

And all the preparatory work done on a computer.

It's literally like sorcery!

What about that 2021, then?!

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

To think that you can simply press a button and reproduce more of these, unbelievable.

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice …?

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Building a loco or any engineering structure in CAD is very satisfying in itself and you learn how they were put together and how they worked in some depth.

3D resin printers are getting better and better all the time. Good ones don't break the bank and print much better detail than the methods employed by Shapeways (at the least methods offered for model railway prints).

There's still the problem of painting and lining the models to overcome but technology will undoubtedly come along to do that at home too.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all...

If there was just one book on Pannier Tanks, what would it be?   I've heard of the 'Pannier Papers' and was wondering if there was a single volume that covered both the 57xx and the 8750 (I have the Bachmann models from yonks ago)?   

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya
tea, cup of.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's exactly (apart from the computer bit, I suppose) what we thought about etched brass 40 years ago!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 1466 said:

IMG_2349.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

3 hours ago, heraldcoupe said:

The cab photo reminds me. That reversing wheel/lever is very fragile, and right in the line of fire when the bodies are taken of the supports structure. Consequently, they often lose one or both handles, so you'll find a spare piece in your bag of bits with the shell,

Cheers

Bill.

A-maz-ing.

How times change, I’m enjoying my etched carriage and loco building, but 3D printing takes it all to a completely different level.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

3D resin printers are getting better and better all the time.

Possibly giving away my secrets here, but I drew a line when the print quality reached a certain resolution. There are better printters on the market than those I am using, at least in terms of finesse, and for little money. That increase in resolution brings with it increased maintenance, and limitations on which resins can be used. Many resins have proven quite unsuitable in terms of long term stability, so if I can't use a material I already know is fit for purpose, testing has to start all over again.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Evening all...

If there was just one book on Pannier Tanks, what would it be?   I've heard of the 'Pannier Papers' and was wondering if there was a single volume if that covered both the 57xx and the 8750 (I have the Bachmann models from yonks ago)?   

Cheers

There's the Pen and Sword book Pannier Tank Classes, by David Maidment.

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Great-Western-Pannier-Tank-Classes-Hardback/p/16859

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

IMG_20240222_1003187062.jpg.a1b9b4d2f85cba4e756eff288ae2cf3e.jpg

IMG_20240222_100227626.jpg.8e7bd75bb5bf0212b3016557a7d2e669.jpg

IMG_20240222_100246034.jpg.d13db557722e9fd0e908b4b52b01c8cc.jpg

So... this will be found at the end of a sleepy ex LSWR branchline somewhere in the deepest darkest (!?) west country.

I only have a phone camera so the photos don't do it justice but it's a stunning hefty model.  I didn't realise it had lighting and the tail lamp illuminates. I'll fire up the transformer later and have a play.

PS:  it's definitely what I would call crimson and not what I'd call maroon.  I wish EFE had chosen the same shade for their 'crimson'.

Edited by Tim Dubya
Gibbajabba
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Behold the 99p* carriage.

IMG_20240222_100227626.jpg.8e7bd75bb5bf0212b3016557a7d2e669.jpgIMG_20240222_100246034.jpg.d13db557722e9fd0e908b4b52b01c8cc.jpg

So... this will be found at the end of a sleepy ex LSWR branchline somewhere in the deepest darkest (!?) west country.

I wasn't going to purchase it just yet but after needing cheering up# on Sunday I had a 💡 moment. 

I've just swapped to Octopus energy and will get £50 credit from them because I was recommended by another customer, so we both get £50.  I headed over to Kernow to buy it but then realised I also had £5 credit, armed with my 'free' £55, paid up the £55:99, so *99p, is what it cost + £4 postage.   I then had an email from the Scale Four Society telling me that I was due a £24 refund (I thought they might have found me out) because I'd paid my subs twice... so it turns out buying that top light means I'm still £19 up on the deal.

#you don't know man, you weren't there... well @Mallard60022 was.

Bravo….and welcome to the Octopussy Club from another member.Now maybe a smart meter if you haven’t already got one ? I was unconvinced until I had a couple of months spell in hospital &;there was no one at home to read the meters. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ian Hargrave said:

Bravo….and welcome to the Octopussy Club from another member.Now maybe a smart meter if you haven’t already got one ? I was unconvinced until I had a couple of months spell in hospital &;there was no one at home to read the meters. 

Yes I got e.on to fit one before I changed suppliers.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I wasn't going to purchase it just yet but after needing cheering up# on Sunday I had a 💡 moment. 

"You call that savings?" (with apologies to Crocodile Dundee).

I switched two separate insurance policies recently for multiple reasons, cost being the major, arrogance a very close second, total contempt for the customer third and saved myself in XS of Two Grand (AUD); "That's Savings".

Fat chance I'll see one cent of that going to Railway Modelling though, so I guess that puts you ahead in the main game!  😞

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Behold the 99p* carriage.

IMG_20240222_100227626.jpg.8e7bd75bb5bf0212b3016557a7d2e669.jpg

IMG_20240222_100246034.jpg.d13db557722e9fd0e908b4b52b01c8cc.jpg

I only have a phone camera so the photos don't do it justice but it's a stunning hefty model.  I didn't realise it had lighting and the tail lamp illuminates when in motion. I'll fire up the transformer later and have a play.

I've just swapped to Octopus energy and will get £50 credit from them because I was recommended by another customer, so we both get £50.  I headed over to Kernow to buy it but then realised I also had £5 loyalty credit, so armed with my 'free' £55, I paid up the £55:99, so *99p, is what it cost + £4 postage.   I then had an email from the Scale Four Society telling me that I was due a £24 refund (I thought they might have found me out) because I'd paid my subs twice... so it turns out buying that toplight means I'm still £19.01 up on the deal. #fuzzylogic

#you don't know man, you weren't there... well @Mallard60022 was.

PS:  it's definitely what I would call crimson and not what I'd call maroon.  I wish EFE had chosen the same shade for their 'crimson'.

Pleased to see the bump stops present as I thought they were missing on examples at Rail’s last week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Pleased to see the bump stops present as I thought they were missing on examples at Rail’s last week.

If you'd like any particular shots Rob let me know and I'll see if I can oblige.  I have to avoid work until this evening, but I intend to see the lights and lamp working (using the controller you sold me all those years ago 🤣).

• Friendly/supportive 1