Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

They have many more of "ours" to deal with, I gather, due to the greater bomb loads of 4-engined RAF and USAF planes.

If we wanted them to deal with the likes of this one, they'd no doubt expect reciprocity.... 

https://www.1stlinedefence.co.uk/news/uxo-related-incidents-in-germany-and-austria-over-the-past-two-decades/

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

I remember the Torrey Canyon, the RAF hit it with Hawker Hunters. I must have been around 6 or so. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Torrey Canyon? I can only just remember the wreck of the Amoco Cadiz! 🫠 

I know the name of the Torrey Canyon but it was before I was born. The Amaco Cadiz was the first one I was old enough to recall.

I looked up the Torrey Canyon:

About 161 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs, 11,000 imp gal (50,000 L; 13,000 US gal) of kerosene, 3,000 imp gal (14,000 L; 3,600 US gal) of napalm and 16 other missiles had been aimed at the ship

That ship not want to go down!

• Agree 2

I read about the Torrey Canyon, it's still a nickname for incontinent motorcycles...

It was another tanker (The Wastdale?) that took down the Severn bridge IIRC.

The maritime disaster that sticks in the mind from my youth is the sinking of the Herald of Free Enterprise, there seemed to be a spate of ferry accidents at the time.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

.....The maritime disaster that sticks in the mind from my youth is the sinking of the Herald of Free Enterprise, there seemed to be a spate of ferry accidents at the time.

i remember that - sloppy practices by Townsend Torreson I seem to recall. ☹️

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Severn Railway Bridge.

https://stroudtimes.com/remembering-the-severn-railway-bridge-disaster

There may also be a documentary about it somewhere... iPlayer?  🤷

Fascinating story... It begs the question about why the various boats Insurance didn't pay for the bridge to be repaired.

Different times?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Fascinating story... It begs the question about why the various boats Insurance didn't pay for the bridge to be repaired.

Different times?

BR must have looked at it and thought it wasn't worth the long term cost after repair, perhaps 🤷

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

BR must have looked at it and thought it wasn't worth the long term cost after repair, perhaps 🤷

thats always the story thats been given - but if the ships Insurance is paying for it, then it gets re-built.... Unless BR took the money and did nothing with it?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

thats always the story thats been given - but if the ships Insurance is paying for it, then it gets re-built.... Unless BR took the money and did nothing with it?

Well it took them 7½ years to make up their minds to scrap it, does make you wonder 🤔

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It was after all the Beeching era. Embarrassing news wasn’t always media aired….I was a few miles down the road..well,on the Downs in Bristol,my first term in Uni…when it happened. For most of you on this forum,it’s ancient history…..time passes….

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Talking of west country maritime accidents reminds me of the tragic loss of the pleasure boat Darlwyne with all on board in 1966. Darlwyne set out from Falmouth to Fowey without adequate safety equipment and unbelievably no radio. On preparing to leave Fowey the skipper was advised several times not to leave the port due to an oncoming storm. He ignored all warnings and sadly all on board perished somewhere off  Dodman Point.

I remember this distinctly because in the previous year we had had a very lively trip on a pleasure boat across Falmouth Bay to Helford. I thought it was great fun(!) but my mother (who, poor woman, could get seasick in the bath) refused point blank to go back on the boat. My father, who was not a sailor but had great respect for the sea, agreed. Our return to Falmouth therefore involved the tiny ferry across to Helford Passage, a walk to Mawnan Smith and then a long bus ride back to Falmouth.

I think it's true to say that the safely of modern pleasure boats is due in part to this tragedy.

I can recommend 'The Forgotten Shipwreck: Solving the Mystery of the Darlwyne' Nick Lyon - it's on Kindle if that's of help.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The maritime disaster that sticks in the mind from my youth is the sinking of the Herald of Free Enterprise, there seemed to be a spate of ferry accidents at the time.

One of my army mates was on that when it went down it being one of our favourite routes back home on leave or if we were going on a course at Lark Hill. Patch, he managed to drag 3 people out of the drink with him and covered himself in glory but then he was a phenomenal swimmer. He was also a very unassuming young chap and absolutely hated the attention he got afterwards.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10