A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

That looks very nice indeed!  Very well proportioned and delicately detailed.  Perhaps I could mention just one thing - 2021 class 0-6-0 pannier tank?

Gerry

Yes please, as long as it's in the configuration of 2182 at St Blazey in 1955...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sadly some of the Plymouth FB pages are full of excrement and several conspiracy, idiots along with a load of wazzocks that are laughing at people who are worried. There are, of course, blaming the Council, all these snowflakes, I'm not moving and armchair UXB idiots. Social media really is so often a mountain of sh1te.

Dockyard was cleared as well. Absolutely zero chances being take by the Navy Disposal Team and who would want to be involved in the transfer to the Torpoint ramp? 

In fact the Council and partners have been brilliant at dealing with displaced residents.

It's a 500KG beast and must be really scary.

national news coverage this evening.

Janners are used to this sort of event.

Phil  

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Why can't Germany come and deal with it at their cost, they put it there for God's sake.😉

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Boring, I was hoping they'd blow the thing up out at sea for a spectacular spectacle 😜

I think that's still to happen.

Apparently it's on some kind of barge at the moment. They'll then tow it out to sea and get HMS Dreadnought to fire a few broadsides at it.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Apparently it's on some kind of barge at the moment. They'll then tow it out to sea and get HMS Dreadnought to fire a few broadsides at it.

A bit like the RAF bombing the Tory Canyon oil spil?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Keane said:

A bit like the RAF bombing the Tory Canyon oil spil?

Absolutely. 'What can possibly go wrong?', as Air Vice Group Captain Tarquin Fyffitch-Cuthbertson said at the time...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Why can't Germany come and deal with it at their cost, they put it there for God's sake.😉

That's only fair since we do that for them for all the unexploded ordinance we dropped over there. 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

They have many more of "ours" to deal with, I gather, due to the greater bomb loads of 4-engined RAF and USAF planes.

If we wanted them to deal with the likes of this one, they'd no doubt expect reciprocity.... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Officer IC on the local news stated it is planned to detonate it some distance below the surface. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

They have many more of "ours" to deal with, I gather, due to the greater bomb loads of 4-engined RAF and USAF planes.

If we wanted them to deal with the likes of this one, they'd no doubt expect reciprocity.... 

"Berlin was subjected to over 103,000 tonnes of bombs (just shy of 7 Hiroshima bombs) during the war, with 20,400 coming from the USAAF."

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

Fair enough, they did start it.... 😬

And boy,did we finish it.Just reflecting…as a war baby….on what happened to Plymouth in rebuilding post war and comparing it with the destruction of a Dresden whose Frauenkirche has famously chosen to make  connections with Coventry Cathedral  ( I have visited both) and which city has chosen to rebuild itself somewhat differently. As to the bomb……well then,have a fishie on a little dishing,when the boat comes in .

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sadly some of the Plymouth FB pages are full of excrement and several conspiracy, idiots along with a load of wazzocks that are laughing at people who are worried. There are, of course, blaming the Council, all these snowflakes, I'm not moving and armchair UXB idiots. Social media really is so often a mountain of sh1te.

Dockyard was cleared as well. Absolutely zero chances being take by the Navy Disposal Team and who would want to be involved in the transfer to the Torpoint ramp? 

In fact the Council and partners have been brilliant at dealing with displaced residents.

Janners are used to this sort of event.

Phil  

I did have to laugh at some of the comments from armchair experts and conspiracy theorists.

They've obviously never been anywhere near an explosion, probably never even chucked an aerosol can in a bonfire, let alone seen a blast from Hexogen (RDX).

The pictures online don't really show what a huge device a German 500kg is. There's one on the left in this picture:

rsw_600h_300cg_true.jpeg.afc53e7c6a72e48c941fb01be5d4f12d.jpeg

Picture: bombs away ltd.

Edited by MrWolf
Photo credit
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I did have to laugh at some of the comments from armchair experts and conspiracy theorists.

They've obviously never been anywhere near an explosion, probably never even chucked an aerosol can in a bonfire, let alone seen a blast from Hexogen (RDX).

The pictures online don't really show what a huge device a German 500kg is. There's one on the left in this picture:

rsw_600h_300cg_true.jpeg.afc53e7c6a72e48c941fb01be5d4f12d.jpeg

Picture: bombs away ltd.

My late father was in the RAFVR during the war - 72 operations and DFM .

He taught  me to run away from explosions as a second one might follow . 

Aged 7  , I had run towards a calor gas explosion in a wooden hut .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 1466 said:

And Shackleton ?

Bur didn’t the RAF use rocket firing Hunters ?

I definitely recall seeing Buccaneers on the news back in 1967.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Both were used, RN FAA Buccies from Lossiemouth and RAF Hunters.

Edit: I'm pretty sure some Sea Vixens were used in the later stages as well.

I think the fly-boys had much fun, but totally ineffectual of course.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1