A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

7 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Pompey?

Looks like an LNER van. SR open obviously. No idea about the third.

Not many options left for RN A/Cs.  SR, looks like could be ex LSWR for internal use only, as they probably all are!

Brian.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The background subject gives the game away.;) Even @toboldlygo hasn't made a model of her.

1851107114_DSCN6275(2).JPG.6be1dd5ebd86ebc1e4abc7cd02b7ddd9.JPG

Only because there's not a model kit available ;) :P

6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ah, one of the promised 40 new Hospitals.

They've got to have somewhere to launch missions from to wipe out the idiot loo roll hoarders from ;) 

A?*e

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

image.png.cc5c77cdb6e19232b40125f6a78b40b4.png

An eastbound sweeper?   Returning all the XP rated "odds and sods" which have found their way West?

I also like the recent post elsewhere where it describes a summer Friday train of restaurant and buffet cars........, all stocked with Tizer and Tunnocks, leaving Lahndahn for the West.  Crew kipped aboard over night.  They and their charge joined an Eastward bound holiday special the next day.    "a train of buffet cars?    surely that never happened......"    It did!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Looks like something lost and forgotten on the Portsmouth Docks Admiralty Line.

Big Charlie in the background was a bit of a big clue ;-)

image.png.d9d6f0924884f3c536e0d3c4055b41a5.png

Huh! I was gonna guess at the Watering Island Jetty Line and you go and publish the map. Not fair. Grump. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Ultimate one-off scratch-built kit :) 

Hopefully there'll be a decent scale version announced in the not to distant future by Airfix - once the real ones have seen 'military action' wiping the loo roll hoarders off the face of the planet ;) :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

image.png.cc5c77cdb6e19232b40125f6a78b40b4.png

An eastbound sweeper?   Returning all the XP rated "odds and sods" which have found their way West?

I also like the recent post elsewhere where it describes a summer Friday train of restaurant and buffet cars........, all stocked with Tizer and Tunnocks, leaving Lahndahn for the West.  Crew kipped aboard over night.  They and their charge joined an Eastward bound holiday special the next day.    "a train of buffet cars?    surely that never happened......"    It did!

Typical consist in that in the Operation Cornwall Book (1957 version of the train + many other helpful lists of info). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Hopefully there'll be a decent scale version announced in the not to distant future by Airfix - once the real ones have seen 'military action' wiping the loo roll hoarders off the face of the planet ;) :jester:

No aeroplanes on the real ones - the Queen's Auxiliary Balloon Corps sold off the Harriers to Donald Trump so that they could afford something faster pointier and sexier..........and of no use to the Army.

Uncle Sam's Marine Corps however kept their Harriers (and broke ours for spares)  because they are unrivalled as close air support to the troops closing with, and dispatching, President Donald's enemies...........

Hey ho.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

No aeroplanes on the real ones - the Queen's Auxiliary Balloon Corps sold off the Harriers to Donald Trump so that they could afford something faster pointier and sexier..........and of no use to the Army.

Uncle Sam's Marine Corps however kept their Harriers (and broke ours for spares)  because they are unrivalled as close air support to the troops closing with, and dispatching, President Donald's enemies...........

Hey ho.  

I hate to burst your Balloon.

You forget I worked for Aerospace - the Harrier's weren't sold to Trump - it was actually Oh-bummer's administration (check your dates).

FYI Harrier II's & 2 Plus (GR.5, 7 & 9) were built under licence in the UK by BAE Systems (British Aerospace) - we only actually built the rear fuselage in the UK and only did final assembly of the RAF ones. As part of that contract, if the MOD chose to withdraw/retire the Harrier from service - the US DoD had priority to buy them back at a certain price,

At one point the only fixed wing jet in Royal Navy Service was a Hawker Sea Hawk WV-908 - which I helped restore twice ;)

We have Lightning II's now - which in hulk mode will have the Loo Roll Hoarders sh!??!ng themselves :jester:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Was this

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/harrier-pilot-safe-1370719.html

the last time Harriers saw active service?

As a tenuous "South Hams" connection, the commanding officer of HMS Ark Royal at the time was "Big Tel" Terry Loughran. I have fond memories of that man, and how generous he was with his time to anyone who wanted to learn. It was he that taught my children to fish off the pontoons in a Devon marina, and was delighted when my daughter caught the biggest lobster. He's now Rear Admiral Terry Loughran CB.

Rear Admiral Terry Loughran CB is not an imposing figure at first. Short in stature, he’s not what you may first visualise when thinking about great Navy commanders, but get him talking and you realise why he is affectionately known by his people as ‘Big Tel’. He’s full of enthusiasm, opinion and has a great grasp of history, making him the ideal man to head up this year’s centenary activities for the Fleet Air Arm. His career is extensive, from his early days as a pilot on Sea Kings on the ‘old’ HMS Ark Royal in the sixties, he went on to command the current HMS Ark Royal in 1993, and was Flag Officer Naval Aviation (in other words head of the Fleet Air Arm) before ‘retirement’.

Rather than retire to a cottage by the sea and tend the garden, Terry became a consultant to Thales UK in the design of the proposed Future Aircraft Carriers (formerly known as the Carrier Vessel Future or CVF, the acronym still used to describe the programme) and is Chairman of the Independent Review Panel, ensuring the programme stays on track. He’s also Chairman of the Trustees of the Fleet Air Arm Museum and Fly Navy Heritage, the reason for his presence at Greenwich.

Understandably, he is a great advocate for the carriers: “The new carriers will secure a lot of jobs and bring new technology within the UK. They are cheap – £4 billion isn’t much compared to £20 billion for Eurofighter, for example. With all the new technology, they’ll have the same ship’s company as the present-day HMS Illustrious at just 1,500 souls. They’ll also last for 50 years.”

https://airforcesmonthly.keypublishing.com/2009/07/14/big-tel-tells-it-like-it-is/

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

FYI Harrier II's & 2 Plus (GR.5, 7 & 9) were built under licence in the UK by BAE Systems (British Aerospace) - we only actually built the rear fuselage in the UK and only did final assembly of the RAF ones. As part of that contract, if the MOD chose to withdraw/retire the Harrier from service - the US DoD had priority to buy them back at a certain price,

At one point the only fixed wing jet in Royal Navy Service was a Hawker Sea Hawk WV-908 - which I helped restore twice ;)

The US Marine Corp must have been rubbing their hands with glee when we decided to withdraw the Harrier from service? :(

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Was this

As a tenuous "South Hams" connection, the commanding officer of HMS Ark Royal at the time was "Big Tel" Terry Loughran. I have fond memories of that man, and how generous he was with his time to anyone who wanted to learn. It was he that taught my children to fish off the pontoons in a Devon marina, and was delighted when my daughter caught the biggest lobster. He's now Rear Admiral Terry Loughran CB.

https://airforcesmonthly.keypublishing.com/2009/07/14/big-tel-tells-it-like-it-is/

Possibly..

The Sea Harrier was retired from the Royal Navy in 2006 (Indian Navy 2016).

• Informative/Useful 1

Has anyone tried to modify the Oxford Rail GWR Snow ploughs to be able to be dropped on bufferbeams?

Looking at doing this myself on a Bachmann 64xx (only pannier I have at the moment). Not permanent attachment. Some points I've seen at a first good glance.

• Buffers on pannier need to be swapped over to sprung buffers
  • The point of which the buffers hit the inside of the plough is about a couple of mm before it touches the footplate. Will need to shave out as much as possible.
  • If I would shave out the inside to the point where the plough would touch the frame and footplate, would have the buffer heads sticking out very slightly, hence why the buffers should be swapped over to sprung ones, which still might not work.
  • For attachment, removing of the plastic to slip over the buffer shafts, will be easy and along with shaping of said plastic. The one issue with this, no way of keeping the snow plough for dipping forward. Might need some plastic added somewhere else that "clips" on to the bottom of the buffer beam. Or build up some plastic to fully cover the whole length of buffer and shape. 

Here is the reference picture I have found on Flickr. Please note, not mine. > Flickr Link <

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The US Marine Corp must have been rubbing their hands with glee when we decided to withdraw the Harrier from service? :(

If they had the rear fuselages built at Kingston and Dunsfold I'd say yes. If they were built elsewhere in the UK - it would be a resounding no.

As the sites elsewhere in the UK were use to building Meccano Kit (bolt together) aircraft (Tonkas and Typhoons), not hand-built ones like the Harrier.

• Like 1

As a heads-up to readers here, Tony Wright has been posting some additional photos of the rather lovely Trowbridge layout profiled in the April issue of RM for which he took the photos on his thread.  Definitely worth a look!

David 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Was this

Nope - that's the Dark Blue Jobs.     I was requesting the Ladies Balloon Corps ones in the big Sandpit in Spring and Summer 09............  I think that tour was their last op.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Not many at all especially as he's probably wondering if all his training for next month's Wolf Run will be in vain.:huh:

News on Friday was that the event was still on but as it has c10,000 folk over 2 days I won't be surprised if it were postponed.

Even if it were to be cancelled the training won't have been in vain. It's really helped me get in better shape physically and mentally. 

Postponement would have a silver lining, the training will be prolonged which can't be a bad thing. Oh and perhaps the mud won't be quite so bad... :blink:

DKkbdcdVYAIXuPz.jpg.34f58a440c2ce7a181a08044ecb3301d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

12 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

:good_mini:

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/seahawk/survivor.php?id=252

I'm pleased to see the Sea Hawk is on the list of aircraft flown by a truly great British hero: Eric "Winkle" Brown

(But as he flew so many, it would be a surprise not to see it on that list)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_flown_by_Eric_"Winkle"_Brown

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the fish topic and in particular workings in Cornwall. Does anyone know the type of vans used in say, the late 1950s? For instance would LNER?BR Eastern region vans be used?

As per usual, the more you find out the more you realise how little you know... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TrevorP1 said:

Going back to the fish topic and in particular workings in Cornwall. Does anyone know the type of vans used in say, the late 1950s? For instance would LNER?BR Eastern region vans be used?

As per usual, the more you find out the more you realise how little you know... 

No idea Trevor, sorry. I think the S6/8/9s had all gone by then, so using my modeller's licence to its fullest extent my white BR Insulfish adds a bit of brightness. What I really fancy is an S13 6-wheeled Insixfish. Too hard for me to scratchbuild but 3D printing might be the way to go - eventually.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

:good_mini:

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/seahawk/survivor.php?id=252

I'm pleased to see the Sea Hawk is on the list of aircraft flown by a truly great British hero: Eric "Winkle" Brown

(But as he flew so many, it would be a surprise not to see it on that list)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_flown_by_Eric_"Winkle"_Brown

Some of the work I was doing to WV908 second time around (shortly before being made redundant) - after it was returned to us after the Royal Navy cooked one side of the fuselage!

Image03.jpg.95de38ebeca18378a97db939b763ff86.jpg

Image04.jpg.96839b03bec19443437cedf739efa83a.jpg

I'd snuck in with my camera (well I was going on a field trip to Yeovil that day).

We had several other Sea Hawk residents too, this was the most complete one - I think it still lives at Dunsfold now.

Image05.jpg.e53e4f053324f299b5b8a5a4da4a9abc.jpg

And of course there was my other 1:1 Scale aircraft..

Image01.jpg.5b5fd16f467c3dd36c38b5533744df12.jpg

Image06.jpg.d3fb35a6e762a37bb76af1c43f587b9e.jpg

I re-made the pitot tube (from a Hunter) fairing and the puffer-duct fairing on the nose from scratch - with no drawings. Made a lot of other parts too that were missing.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Some of the work I was doing to WV908 second time around (shortly before being made redundant) - after it was returned to us after the Royal Navy cooked one side of the fuselage!

Image03.jpg.95de38ebeca18378a97db939b763ff86.jpg

Image04.jpg.96839b03bec19443437cedf739efa83a.jpg

I'd snuck in with my camera (well I was going on a field trip to Yeovil that day).

We had several other Sea Hawk residents too, this was the most complete one - I think it still lives at Dunsfold now.

Image05.jpg.e53e4f053324f299b5b8a5a4da4a9abc.jpg

And of course there was my other 1:1 Scale aircraft..

Image01.jpg.5b5fd16f467c3dd36c38b5533744df12.jpg

Image06.jpg.d3fb35a6e762a37bb76af1c43f587b9e.jpg

I re-made the pitot tube (from a Hunter) fairing and the puffer-duct fairing on the nose from scratch - with no drawings. Made a lot of other parts too that were missing.

Nice. I hadn't realised that a P.1127 had survived.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice. I hadn't realised that a P.1127 had survived.

Three of the original 6 do: though XP984 was thought scrapped for a while, but was found propped up against a Hangar wall at a certain Naval Air Station in Somerset..

Aerospace got it back,as part of the deal to restore the Sea Hawk for the Historic Flight.

• Informative/Useful 2