A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2020 at 15:57, Captain Kernow said:

Peckett big brother = pannier.

Peckett little sister = smaller Peckett

Peckett odd distant uncle that no one talks about = LNER loco

Oi Captain matey

The L&NER had some very lovely tank N-gins including this one on the civilised line that takes people home from London.

1960 - Liverpool Street Pilot..

Sheer beauty resting on the sidings between platforms  9 and 10.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Another St Piran's Day has passed without comment.

LowenaDhy

Brian.

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself Brian? It's today isn't it?

(I know it's still yesterday where you are, but you get my drift).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oi Captain matey

The L&NER had some very lovely tank N-gins including this one on the civilised line that takes people home from London.

The only way is Essex?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oi Captain matey

Cute little tank engine, Mortyfellow. Not unlike the only ex-LNER type currently authorised for use on the Kernow Network, the J72.

20200209_163930.jpg.f6ca5e42ee3712f6004d6be76d8a4618.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oi Captain matey

I am so old I copped that in 1960. Question though. What is that large tin of beans doing on the nearside footplate forward of the tank? Is it part of the breakfast ritual?

Arse.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The J69 pic appears to show a black livery. I think when I saw it circa 1961 it was blue. In fact I know it was blue. I know because I'd bumped into a skoolmate, who told me he was colour-blind, but believed the loco was blue? But I also saw 69565, according to my Ian Allan ABC, so perhaps that was the pilot that day.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The J69 pic appears to show a black livery. I think when I saw it circa 1961 it was blue. In fact I know it was blue. I know because I'd bumped into a skoolmate, who told me he was colour-blind, but believed the loco was blue? But I also saw 69565, according to my Ian Allan ABC, so perhaps that was the pilot that day.

Blue is the new black.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

viewed on my phone Ian I thought it was black, too. But sat here looking at it on my laptop screen it's GER blue

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, brianusa said:

Another St Piran's Day has passed without comment.

LowenaDhy

Brian.

It's today - 5 March.  Same as most years.

Will be dreckly

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

That was on a Macbook Pro, but like Colin I'm now looking on another device. I now have it displayed on a 27"iMac and I can see a slight shade difference between the smokebox and the tanks, so perhaps yes it is blue - but I suspect the passage of time and digitisation of the pic may have darkened it. 

I suspect the baked bean tin might be Swarfega? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Swarfega on your hands would be good for killing the coronavirus. It would probably stop you touching your mouth and nose!

I wondered if there had been some spillage over the edge of the running plate but I suspect it is just an oily rag dangling.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Needed to correct autocorrect.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I wonder if Swarfega on your hands would be good for killing the coronavirus. It would probably stop you touching your mouth and nose!

I wondered if there had been some spillage over the edge of the running plate but I suspect it is just an oily rag dangling.

Corona Virus tis, but another cold virus , blown out of all proportions by the media - bit like design clever on this forum and others, being totally honest.

Regards the photo Clive shared - I can remember Baked Bean tins that size :O

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Came across this Plymouth wagon from Dapol although I know nowt about their use. Any takers.

https://anticsonline.uk/N425/N765/N593_Private-Owner-Wagons/108258639_Dapol-4F-032-017-TH-Harvey-Tank-Wagon.html

1977279528_HarveyChemicalWorks.jpg.bfea114760da7ec6b9b74272b4e9d979.jpg

Nothing on Google with regards to the company. The type face looks a bit modern too. 

I've often wondered how far these wagons would have travelled. Any ideas?

I've two of these wagons in Butler's livery from Bristol. I believe this company is still in existence. 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

That was on a Macbook Pro, but like Colin I'm now looking on another device. I now have it displayed on a 27"iMac and I can see a slight shade difference between the smokebox and the tanks, so perhaps yes it is blue - but I suspect the passage of time and digitisation of the pic may have darkened it. 

I suspect the baked bean tin might be Swarfega? 

It was painted GER Royal Blue, as was N7 69614 and class 08 08 833. D8234 wasn't but was kept in pristine condition. After D8234 was withdrawn the duty pilot wasn't a special loco until someone found the old pot of GER Royal Blue and splashed on 08 833.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, 46444 said:

two of these wagons in Butler's livery from Bristol. I believe this company is still in existence. 

William Butler & Co no longer exist, but are interesting in a railway context.

They were formed, and operated at Crews Hole, Bristol.  to process & distil coal tar'. Specifically

to produce creosote for Mr Brunels Great Western Railway.

By the early 70s they had moved to a new site at Avonmouth, and had become chemicals company.

They were taken over by Tenneco Inc of USA, and were 50% owners of Butler Oil Products (with Fina).

Not sure but BOP may still exist, at least in name, as a fuel distributer.

The chemical co became absorbed in Albright & Wilson, and the Avonmouth works was ultimately

closed and raised to the ground.

Hopefully none of the foregoing can be traced back to my association, in the first 13 years of my

working life.

TONY

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

I understand that while the small square tanks appeared quite early in the life of the railways, they were frequently seen late into the 1940s.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I promised you some new stuff and here it is in a few wagons. Inspired by the stock used by John @checkrail on Stoke Courtenay I've worked some items he uses into mine.

First a Bachmann GWR wagon was repainted using Humbrol marine green with black trim and then @toboldlygo kindly applied some POWsides transfers and weathering for this Torquay based coal wagon.If you want the correct wagon there is the kit that John used available too.

874125469_DSCN6236(2).JPG.001472c280e3e7df44b700742127db5b.JPG1682618643_DSCN6237(2).JPG.e65e95a2501c67a10d4994170110fd51.JPG

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Corona Virus tis, but another cold virus , blown out of all proportions by the media - bit like design clever on this forum and others, being totally honest.

Regards the photo Clive shared - I can remember Baked Bean tins that size :O

Perhaps some caution would be appropriate here?  I don't mean with regard to eating a whole extra large tin of baked beans.  Over 3,000 people have died from Covid-19.  How does that compare to the common cold over the same period?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, teaky said:

Over 3,000 people have died from Covid-19.  How does that compare to the common cold over the same period?

Several thousand less than have already died in the UK this winter from "seasonal illnesses" and "ordinary" flu.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3