A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

No idea Trevor, sorry. I think the S6/8/9s had all gone by then, so using my modeller's licence to its fullest extent my white BR Insulfish adds a bit of brightness. What I really fancy is an S13 6-wheeled Insixfish. Too hard for me to scratchbuild but 3D printing might be the way to go - eventually.

An Insixfish is only a longer GWR plywood van with two sets of doors and a six wheeled chassis under those walkways and ladders.

Plywood vans are easier to make that planked ones.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

An Insixfish is only a longer GWR plywood van with two sets of doors and a six wheeled chassis under those walkways and ladders.

Plywood vans are easier to make that planked ones.

Thanks Clive. It's the roof that puts me off.

Trying to stay O/T with South Hams relevance ... I'm surprised how many retired Harriers are in Devon, or on the way to Devon. Maybe they like being by the seaside?

http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php?type=963

I'm amazed how many have been preserved. 231 according to that demobbed.org.uk - I saw one recently (ZD462) outside the entrance to Dyson UK HQ in Malmesbury. Along with a hovercraft and other devices that have inspired the Dyson design team.

Lots of retired aircraft in Devon in general

http://www.demobbed.org.uk/locations.php?country=20&county_state=12

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Trying to stay O/T with South Hams relevance ... I'm surprised how many retired Harriers are in Devon, or on the way to Devon. Maybe they like being by the seaside?

http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php?type=963

I'm amazed how many have been preserved. 231 according to that demobbed.org.uk - I saw one recently (ZD462) outside the entrance to Dyson UK HQ in Malmesbury. Along with a hovercraft and other devices that have inspired the Dyson design team.

Lots of retired aircraft in Devon in general

http://www.demobbed.org.uk/locations.php?country=20&county_state=12

I doesn't surprise me, it's the one modern Aircraft that will attract visitor's..

There's actually a Sea Harrier FA.2 that's still flying I believe (in the States)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

I doesn't surprise me, it's the one modern Aircraft that will attract visitor's..

There's actually a Sea Harrier FA.2 that's still flying I believe (in the States)

IIRC, I've seen it on YouTube, it's an ex- US Marines pilot qualified on type.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

True story, when US was considering purchasing the P1127 from Hawker and took part in the Tripartite (Kestrel) evaluation program, the US top brass in their infinite 'wisdom' decided that chopper pilots were best suited to flying them - oh  dear. 

Also as part of the original sales pitch for selling the Harrier, Hawker's built a 9 hole golf course at Dunsfold to demonstrate the Harrier's land and take off anywhere qualities ;) 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Without sounding like a travel guide to South Devon, OK a little bit, there's a program on BBC2 this evening , Coastal Path at 7pm featuring the coastline of the area.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Without sounding like a travel guide to South Devon, OK a little bit, there's a program on BBC2 this evening , Coastal Path at 7pm featuring the coastline of the area.

Was Clovelly last week 

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No idea Trevor, sorry. I think the S6/8/9s had all gone by then, so using my modeller's licence to its fullest extent my white BR Insulfish adds a bit of brightness. What I really fancy is an S13 6-wheeled Insixfish. Too hard for me to scratchbuild but 3D printing might be the way to go - eventually.

Trevor is right when he says the more you know the more you realise you don't know!

After investigating fish flows on GWR/WR for some time I can summarise as follows:-

There are 3 areas that are starting points for flows of full fish vans:-

East coast ports (from Scotland down to Lowestoft);

West Coast ports (such as Fleetwood);

and WR ports such as South West Wales and Cornwall.

The tricky bit is that some of the flows were full or empty depending on the starting point. So for instance Swindon saw westbound Full vans from the east coast via Banbury and Acton, and westbound empty flows back to Whitland!

I know an empty van looks the same as a full one, but in the late 50s the BR Insulfish was not all conquering,  soyou need to get the right type on the right train at particular times of day. 

Following my example of Swindon, a morning west bound fish van train should be LNER vans (full) from the east coast, but an afternoon/evening west bound train should be S6s etc (empty) on their way back to Whitland.

The empty flows are in some ways easier to model as there were less dedicated trains and more attachment of vans to Parcels /passenger/ fast freight trains.

Once I have as complete a picture as possible I will post here a list of what ran where and when. 

(Got to have plenty to keep me busy if we are all confined to barracks!!)

Also, in investigating the carriage diagrams for fish vans I have realized that the uses of Fruit Ds were actually specified in them. So after the fish flows, it will be the Fruit flows!

Cheers

Paul

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

At  a local air show last year a Harrier did a demo dance bobbing up and down, backwards and forwards and finally took off at a fast rate.  Don't which part of the service owned it!.

Brian.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Just hope, I don't need the holy hand grenade of antioch.... 

I'm glad you mentioned that! We'll definitely need it for the tunnel work on the extension from Brent to Caerbannog. Oh, hasn't anybody mentioned that yet? And whatever you do, don't go near the rabbits!

• Funny 3

Talking of extension work...

Righteo chaps, gather round!

Just checking the date and time for the minutes ... right it's 21:00 hours on 16th March (1940). There are grim times ahead, and we need that line from Brent to Kingsbridge extended down to Salcombe, PDQ.

I don't need to remind you that for once we don't have to bother with things like Planning Permission and Public Enquiries. We can put the line wherever we damn please, and I have the Executive Order right here :rtfm:

The Army Engineers have reported back, and here's the two route options they've suggested so far.

image.png.879742ebbf28c42d65996316255e6e17.png

• Option 1 : That goes closest to the town and the new RAF Airfield on Bolt Head. But that's still strictly hush-hush. We might get a briefing on that later, if the RAF chaps turn up? I'm told they're waiting for a connection in Brent.
  • Option 2 : That's further from the town and gives us access to a new deeper water harbour. The Navy people are keen on that for some new toys.

Gentlemen, start your opinions.

Oh, one last thing, there might be some wagons of explosives coming round from HMS Hades later.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

At  a local air show last year a Harrier did a demo dance bobbing up and down, backwards and forwards and finally took off at a fast rate.  Don't which part of the service owned it!.

Brian.

If it wasn't the Indians or Italians, it must have been the US Marine Corps?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks for the heads up Robin. 

Lovely to see some 78xx Manor action in the guise of 7827. Very well turned out. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Talking of extension work...

Righteo chaps, gather round!

Just checking the date and time for the minutes ... right it's 21:00 hours on 16th March (1940). There are grim times ahead, and we need that line from Brent to Kingsbridge extended down to Salcombe, PDQ.

I don't need to remind you that for once we don't have to bother with things like Planning Permission and Public Enquiries. We can put the line wherever we damn please, and I have the Executive Order right here :rtfm:

The Army Engineers have reported back, and here's the two route options they've suggested so far.

image.png.879742ebbf28c42d65996316255e6e17.png

• Option 1 : That goes closest to the town and the new RAF Airfield on Bolt Head. But that's still strictly hush-hush. We might get a briefing on that later, if the RAF chaps turn up? I'm told they're waiting for a connection in Brent.
  • Option 2 : That's further from the town and gives us access to a new deeper water harbour. The Navy people are keen on that for some new toys.

Gentlemen, start your opinions.

Oh, one last thing, there might be some wagons of explosives coming round from HMS Hades later.

Option 1 but then add a short harbour branch from Batson to the point to accommodate the navy boys

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

These SR opens are multiplying....

860312632_DSCN6281(2).JPG.79171e2d648d6f6bbcdf24e282c09d0e.JPG922799539_DSCN6282(2).JPG.6324b39456f6118697912012d5306fae.JPG2062839885_DSCN6283(2).JPG.b40e6b2c63ded5e386d0a5e363f86b3f.JPG

Very nice too Robin. 

On the subject of Cambrian wagons they do a LNER/SR wartime 7 plank wagon which I believe were delivered unpainted. 

Could offer some further variety in the wagon fleet. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

25 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

If it wasn't the Indians or Italians, it must have been the US Marine Corps?

It wasn't any of those, the Spanish Navy also have a fleet of AV-8B+ and a pair of them did at least a couple of UK shows last year, Yeovilton and Fairford.

For the non-aviation readers, the AV-8B+ is the contemporary USMC version of the Harrier.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Dragging the thread back a bit to the big grey ship that intruded on the wagon photos and the link to Airfix's one-off special of it.

I read the article in the link and was rather worried by the following:

Lieutenant Commander Lee Davies said “Airfix has previously made models of the Royal Navy’s HMS Illustrious and HMS Daring Type 45 Destroyer and in the past Airfix models have remained on board various ships throughout their service so we expect this superb model will also be featured aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth for some months to come.

I know that things become obsolete quickly these days but that seems rather a short operational life for an aircraft carrier!

Edited by ian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Pendennis said:

It wasn't any of those, the Spanish Navy also have a fleet of AV-8B+ and a pair of them did at least a couple of UK shows last year, Yeovilton and Fairford.

For the non-aviation readers, the AV-8B+ is the contemporary USMC version of the Harrier.

The Harrier II (AV8B) was initially developed by McDonnell Douglas & NASA, before Hawker Siddeley (British Aerospace got properly involved). For us Brits and Yanks this means the GR.5/5A/7 & T10 + AV8B & TAV8B.

The Harrier II Plus, is/was used by USMC, Spain (they had the AV8S Matador initially) & Italy. The RAF versions were the GR.7A/GR.9 & T.12 (these were built after Dunsfold closed and may of had composite rear fuselages).

• Informative/Useful 3