A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

So it's defintely highly unlikely 92220 was seen on the South Devon banks in 1960 then so modellers licence has to come into play.Sounds like a great book.

Unlikely, but not impossible.  Evening Star had a high profile, even without its frolics on the Red Dragon, and I'm guessing that observers would have been looking out for it.  Richard Woodley's book reports that the loco was on Canton shed for routine inspection on 9th July. Perhaps the shedmaster was worried about it or else he had been told to ground it!

However - many parcels trains ran at night, when otherwise diligent observers were clocking up the zzzzs.  I'll leave the thought with you, with apologies for pooping your party! 

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris and talking of parcels and I've just see this blog by 46444 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/531/entry-12194-Hornby-br-southern-region-by-a-few-tweaks/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWR-4587-Train-at-Kingswear-1947-/141035084502?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item20d6589ad6

Looking at this photo again it does look very similar to the Hornby offering that I have seen here but without Mark's minor detailing added such as the window bars.

post-126-0-17424900-1376501012_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-08812600-1376501949_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When I saw ES at Taunton it was night time and it was on a parcels heading west and that is the honest truth, not ducking story telling. However, ES was not released from Swindon 'till March 1960 so who knows where it went on 'display' runs having been on the BBC news?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

So it's defintely highly unlikely 92220 was seen on the South Devon banks in 1960 then so modellers licence has to come into play.Sounds like a great book.

I reckon you should disguise 92220 slightly by running it with "Earl of Plymouth" piloting over the Devon banks on a particularly heavily loaded 4.35 p.m. Plymouth Millbay to Paddington parcels

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris and talking of parcels and I've just see this blog by 46444 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/531/entry-12194-Hornby-br-southern-region-by-a-few-tweaks/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWR-4587-Train-at-Kingswear-1947-/141035084502?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item20d6589ad6

Looking at this photo again it does look very similar to the Hornby offering that I have seen here but without Mark's minor detailing added such as the window bars.

I think, Rob, that actually the vehicle in the pic is the bogie version - the Bogie Van B, of which 130 were built, the last 30 in crimson-lake in 1952/3 (says Mike King's book). Hornby do make them, but I'm not sure about supply, and my pair are in Southern Railway livery. I am not famous for adding detail to decent RTR products, but Mark's adding of Roxey window bars is something I've done to all my Vans C. If I can do it - anyone can!

• Like 1

I reckon you should disguise 92220 slightly by running it with "Earl of Plymouth" piloting over the Devon banks on a particularly heavily loaded 4.35 p.m. Plymouth Millbay to Paddington parcels

Just realised that 5049 got it's double chimney in September 1959, which is very inconvenient for this scenario, as I don't think yours sports this particular monstrosity.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Just realised that 5049 got it's double chimney in September 1959 which is very inconvenient for this scenario.

I doubt it would still have the early crest too. ;)

I think, Rob, that actually the vehicle in the pic is the bogie version - the Bogie Van B, of which 130 were built, the last 30 in crimson-lake in 1952/3 (says Mike King's book). Hornby do make them, but I'm not sure about supply, and my pair are in Southern Railway livery. I am not famous for adding detail to decent RTR products, but Mark's adding of Roxey window bars is something I've done to all my Vans C. If I can do it - anyone can!

Thanks Dudds.That's the Hornby model I missed out on after the initial release.I ordered one from my local emporium only to be told too late that they weren't getting any.I've never got around to searching for another.Very nice model.

• RMweb Premium

I doubt it would still have the early crest too. ;)

Thanks Dudds.That's the Hornby model I missed out on after the initial release.I ordered one from my local emporium only to be told too late that they weren't getting any.I've never got around to searching for another.Very nice model.

If you desperately want one Rob, I've got two Hornby ones still in boxes. I doubt they will see any action any time soon so I'm sure one could be up for offer... (That is the bogie Van B)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very much inspired by the recent Pendon sea wall photos in BRM I've been putting it off and putting it off for weeks but I'm finally going to get around to redoing this scenic piece on the end opposite to what I've done recently.

When Andy Y took his photos for MI4 on this section he used quite a lot of photoshop wizardry to make the scene look better than reality here.Here are mine unaltered of a section of the Devon seawall stroke Cockwood harbour.

I'm not happy with the way mine slopes [warping] and the colour base of the water so something needs to be done but before I do it I'll post a few photos of various locos on the curve starting with 4547.Of course Andy is welcome to post his photo creation anytime he likes. ;)

Be gentle....

post-126-0-72225200-1376588052_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-85806800-1376588065_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-24753900-1376588078_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

No Mr Sweet I wasn't offering to buy you two Olives I was offering to pay Spams £1/3/6d for his two BR vans :beee:

The Prairie looks like it is heading off down the Dart Valley. Excellent (nice coach too.....)

I really like that 'fence' along the 'sea wall'. Looks real hefty. (I was trying to think what it would be called as it is not really a fence is it?)

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really like that 'fence' along the 'sea wall'. Looks real hefty.

P

Langley Models ballustrade type.Quite a few packs were needed for that section though.

• RMweb Gold

Something contemporary? ;)

FGW Class 153 and Class 150 lash up on an Exeter service :O

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

I quite fancy something slightly quirky, for example a "triple header" light engine positioning maneouvre with at the least of the two engines running tender first. I know this is more appropriate for the Torbay Branch, but I thought perhaps the turntable at either Laira or NA being out of action due to a badly behaved King might explain it. Correctly lamped of course.

Another quirky one - an engine running tender first assisting a small tank engine with a short train of three coaches and a van. I don't know whether it's the same turntable trouble, or if the tender engine hasn't had time to turn and its just a "path" being saved.