A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Normal,whatever that is, service is resumed with one of my favourite trains that I own.4948 'Northwick Hall' on the down milk train to Penzance.RTR alongside a pair of Comet kitbuilt full brakes of the K40 & K42 varieties.

post-126-0-58794800-1379770378_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-00323000-1379770398_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-38914300-1379770418_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-46487800-1379770437_thumb.jpg

Incidently I don't think I've shewn the K40 in close up before and can take no credit for this vehicle as I commissioned Brian Mosby [Mozzer] of this parish to build and paint it long before I started any layout.I only did some minor work on this like fitting MM gangways etc.This coach is at the rear of this train.More anon.

post-126-0-64518300-1379770763_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Rob, why do the tanks have to be quite so filthy?

OK, I know the response but need we follow the prototype so slavishly?

And reverting back to the earlier post can't we laugh, just a little, at ourselves.

More so if youngsters get interested earlier they'll probably come back later.

Further when my grandchildren had Thomas et all, I too enjoyed playing with them and it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.I've never seen a photo shewing a clean milk tank.In fact the ones on the Hemyock branch were very dirty.A matter of taste I suppose although I don't like locos overdone.

Thinking back to my childhood before the days of Thomas etc I didn't have any interest in railways.In fact it wasn't till my 30's that I discovered Gods Wonderful and that came from my late father.I had a Scalextric before getting a train set. ;)

Yes Rob, I understand and that was the answer I anticipated.

Everyone to their own taste, however, isn't it a little anomalous that the vans on the same train are pristine.

I was also going to 'edit' to that same effect and add that my grandchildren are now up to the minute American teenagers but yet still when they visit,  a view of (and 'play' with) Grandpa's trains always appeals to them. 

Edited by john flann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Everyone to their own taste, however, isn't it a little anomalous that the vans on the same train are pristine.

Very much so but I can't bring myself to weather my kit built coaching stock. :nono: I bet Coachmann of this parish don't either. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

How about a Summer Saturday holiday outing with a 28xx/38xx?

Morning all.I was thinking of doing an oil train but can't decide which loco to use as I don't think the period is correct for what I have.

Ever thought about triple heading with a banker attached at the rear ? :O

I don't possess all your stock so can't justify one. ;)

Incidently,talking of stock,a great photo of 72xx class 7202 has been sent to me and will help with the renumber to 7200.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/7361671038/in/set-72157629736491456

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here I need some help with a couple of queries.Firstly is the headlamp code correct here for an oil train and which of my liveries on them, if any, are correct for a late '40s period ?

post-126-0-84576100-1379849661_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-60409400-1379849254_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-52014100-1379849473_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-24182200-1379849509_thumb.jpg

An overall view of the fiddle yard taken from the house end.

post-126-0-51513400-1379849280_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-58113300-1379849361_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

3864 in action again.

attachicon.gifDSCN2216.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN2217.jpg

An obligatory tail shot of a toad.I must have had a mad rush of purchases of Bachmann 14 ton tankers at one time. ;)

attachicon.gifDSCN2214.jpg

I'm guessing those are empties because normally wouldn't we see barrier wagons between the loco and the full oil tankers?

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44646-barrier-wagons-on-oil-trains/

Beat me to it, OTBC. Rob, this thread should help

quote name="OnTheBranchline" post="1167996" timestamp="1379872357"]I'm guessing those are empties because normally wouldn't we see barrier wagons between the loco and the full oil tankers?

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing those are empties because normally wouldn't we see barrier wagons between the loco and the full oil tankers?

It looks like you're right as discussed here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44646-barrier-wagons-on-oil-trains/

Any suggestions on what would be a correct wagon to use at both ends of the train would be most welcome.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

It looks like you're right as discussed here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44646-barrier-wagons-on-oil-trains/

Any suggestions on what would be a correct wagon to use at both ends of the train would be most welcome.

Maybe just one or two empty five plank wagons?

Sorry, it's the rivet counter in me! :punish:

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

Maybe just one or two empty five plank wagons?

Sorry, it's the rivet counter in me! :punish:

I'll retake the photos with some attached then thanks.

so you can't be that short of stock,

Some things I have too many of, as swmbo would tell you. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I think the easiest way to use these tankers as they are is to put them in my later timeframe and use a BR liveried western loco instead, perhaps a Hall.

What's a MOWT colour John ?

Rob, I don't know for sure but like bauxite I think, as seen on the open steel coal wagons built for the MOWT during the war and offered by Bachmann. It's at the back of my mind I've seen photos of them.

And just another thought is there any justification for running a train of that length, where from/where to.

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all, 

spot of bother I see so let's begin at the very beginning -firstly empty tank wagons are as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than loaded ones so they get the same treatment, secondly a train conveing single star tank wagons could only run as Class J or K  (this one would be a J, one lamp above left hand buffer as viewed from the front),  thirdly it's marshalled all wrong - any Class A (silver) tanks should be in the middle of the train and nowhere near the engine or brakevan except in the case of a mixed train when they must be marshalled immediately ahead of the (goods) brakevan and have at least one ordinary wagon between them and the passenger coach(es).

there was no specific requirement for barrier wagons - except on a mixed train - in the period Rob is modelling however there was an iInstruction in the Rules that tank wagons containing flammable liquids were to be marshalled as near as possible to the centre of the train.  However it is noticeable that in wartime pictures of 'block' oil/petroleum trains there was usually a barrier wagon between the engine and the tank cars.

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all, 

spot of bother I see so let's begin at the very beginning -firstly empty tank wagons are as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than loaded ones so they get the same treatment, secondly a train conveing single star tank wagons could only run as Class J or K  (this one would be a J, one lamp above left hand buffer as viewed from the front),  thirdly it's marshalled all wrong - any Class A (silver) tanks should be in the middle of the train and nowhere near the engine or brakevan except in the case of a mixed train when they must be marshalled immediately ahead of the (goods) brakevan and have at least one ordinary wagon between them and the passenger coach(es).

there was no specific requirement for barrier wagons - except on a mixed train - in the period Rob is modelling however there was an iInstruction in the Rules that tank wagons containing flammable liquids were to be marshalled as near as possible to the centre of the train.  However it is noticeable that in wartime pictures of 'block' oil/petroleum trains there was usually a barrier wagon between the engine and the tank cars.

1) Why?

2) Which ones are those?

3) Which ones are those?

• RMweb Gold

1) Why?

2) Which ones are those?

3) Which ones are those?

1. 'Empty' tank wagons are dangerous because they have not been purged and thus still contain volatile gases - which are often more easily flammable than the actual petroleum product.

2. Single star tank wagons are those marked with only one star - like the Mobil ones in Rob's train  (actually all the wagons in the train look to be single star nut the star isn't readily visible on some of them).

3. Class A tank cars were painted silver from 1939 onwards (any wartime dalliances apart(, prior to that they had been buff coloured; they are used to product with a lower flashpoint, e.g. petrol.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all and thanks Mike for wrapping my knuckles.I've opened a can of worms .At least you've now guided me in the right direction and I'll make the amendments and retake the photos.Incidently,I found a nice photo in colour of a 72xx on an oil train in the 60s,no barrier wagon,pulling Shell Mex wagons.A filthy black colour.

At least I've learnt something. ;) I should have stuck with James number 5 !

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

1. 'Empty' tank wagons are dangerous because they have not been purged and thus still contain volatile gases - which are often more easily flammable than the actual petroleum product.

2. Single star tank wagons are those marked with only one star - like the Mobil ones in Rob's train  (actually all the wagons in the train look to be single star nut the star isn't readily visible on some of them).

3. Class A tank cars were painted silver from 1939 onwards (any wartime dalliances apart(, prior to that they had been buff coloured; they are used to product with a lower flashpoint, e.g. petrol.

Also, would it be right to guess that the GWR oil trains largely came from the Fawley Refinery in Hampshire?