A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Diagrams S8,9 and 10 I believe. Less than 30 sheets too sounds like a bargain to me.

Edited by gwrrob
Info
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

NPCCS in brown or crimson is always a smart move.

You can never have too many brown vehicles, whatever colour they are...

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Diagrams S8,9 and 10 I believe. Less than 30 sheets too sounds like a bargain to me.

An S13 Insixfish would be nice...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I can't recall seeing a pic on an Insixfish in service. Did they move only at night?

No idea! I've only seen pictures after they went north.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob and everyone

Within The Results of The 00 Wishlist Poll, the Bloater Fish Van has been steadily climbing up through the ranks from Middle Polling to High Polling.

In 2022 (the last Poll to run before we run again near Christmas), the van was very high up in the NPCCS category - only being beaten by six milk vehicles.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Just to confirm that the shirtbutton version 2603 is a S9 from lot 1307, info courtesy of the GWRJ article by John Lewis via @BenL In service till 1958. A nice photo of an example at Snow Hill in '47 whets the appetite.

E87059.jpg.d90d85caf9bb0ce1fc27aa5ad0a012f8.jpg.f9a1bcfcab60d3354f4b62c1d2599a34.jpg

2207.jpg.28281bd8e038e8a17ee74e54e30c2e33.jpg

In the same article there’s a pic of 2603 but it still has the gas lighting fitments on the roof. I wonder if EFE are working from a later picture by which time they were removed? Do we know if the gas lighting was indeed removed in GWR days? 

PS - in the aforementioned pic, a good number of the side vents have been filled in; probably too much to expect this to be incorporated into the tooling, but adventurous modellers may wish to fill them in! 

Edited by BenL

• RMweb Gold

I wonder whether the Bloaters come with a fishy smell effect to tickle your olfactory senses?

Then again...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A shoal of these won't look out of plaice on A Cod to Bream.

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Round of applause 10

5 hours ago, BenL said:

In the same article there’s a pic of 2603 but it still has the gas lighting fitments on the roof. I wonder if EFE are working from a later picture by which time they were removed? Do we know if the gas lighting was indeed removed in GWR days? 

PS - in the aforementioned pic, a good number of the side vents have been filled in; probably too much to expect this to be incorporated into the tooling, but adventurous modellers may wish to fill them in! 

Here’s the same pic of 2603 on the HMRS website if anyone is interested.

https://hmrs.org.uk/-ael215--10t-bloater-gw-2603-diag-s8-in-yard-birmingham-snow-hill-arl-faded--gwsb--livery.html

I’ve just noticed that in addition to not having the two gas light tops on the roof, the EFE model of this van appears to only have 4 rather than 6 shell ventilators on the roof. I’m pretty sure 6 was the standard number of shell ventilators to be fitted to these Bloaters so not quite sure what’s happened here. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 46444 said:

I wonder whether the Bloaters come with a fishy smell effect to tickle your olfactory senses?

Then again...

A good kipper will fix that.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Would I be right in assuming the crimson S10 could be repainted in GWR brown as is, or would it need further modification?

53 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Would I be right in assuming the crimson S10 could be repainted in GWR brown as is, or would it need further modification?

50x S10 were built in 1926 with slats on the ends only, shell vents from new including the EFE W2661(E87061). So yes GWR brown with a variety of insignia in the twenty years up to nationalisation.

Mike  Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A good kipper will fix that.

Luckily, for everyone's noses, in 1935 a start was made on converting some bloaters to parcels vans. In BR days many had the doors changed and they looked like a Fruit D without slats or end bonnets.

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Just now, Garethp8873 said:

Whilst I am impressed and looking forward to seeing these eventually appearing in my rolling stock, I do have to say that the font used for running numbers, "FOR FISH TRAFFIC" and "BLOATER/BLOATER A" on the GWR examples just doesn't look right when compared to photographs of them in their GWR days.

As said on the main thread for EFE Bloaters, whilst I am looking forward to seeing them, the lettering used for the running numbers, "FOR FISH TRAFFIC" and "BLOATER/BLOATER A" just doesn't look right to me.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking of Bloaters; the Bristol exhibition!

If any of you West of England folk are going, do say hello to my pals on Grantham the Streamliner Years. I pass my best wishes to you through Steve, one of the Operators; (owner of Finsbury Cross). Please don't be afraid of the Loco's on that layout.

Sincerely,

Mad Duck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Talking of Bloaters; the Bristol exhibition!

If any of you West of England folk are going, do say hello to my pals on Grantham the Streamliner Years. I pass my best wishes to you through Steve, one of the Operators; (owner of Finsbury Cross). Please don't be afraid of the Loco's on that layout.

Sincerely,

Mad Duck

That would be our mutual friend @31A of Finsbury Square, I think.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2024 at 10:27, gwrrob said:

Less than 30 sheets too sounds like a bargain to me.

Reminds me of the old ads "Get your new widget from us for under £100! ONLY nine nine nine nine!"

On 01/05/2024 at 14:31, gwrrob said:

Just to confirm that the shirtbutton version 2603 is a S9 from lot 1307, info courtesy of the GWRJ article by John Lewis via @BenL In service till 1958. A nice photo of an example at Snow Hill in '47 whets the appetite.

E87059.jpg.d90d85caf9bb0ce1fc27aa5ad0a012f8.jpg.f9a1bcfcab60d3354f4b62c1d2599a34.jpg

2207.jpg.28281bd8e038e8a17ee74e54e30c2e33.jpg

The photo is of an S8 and illustrates the spindle buffers which are not correct on the model, and the missing roof vents, really well. It has also had most of the bodyside/end louvres removed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, 37079 said:

The photo is of an S8 and illustrates the spindle buffers which are not correct on the model, and the missing roof vents, really well. It has also had most of the bodyside/end louvres removed.

The photo is 1947 though. So don't expect it to still be in 1930s condition....

Jason

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 37079 said:

The prototype photo is of an S8, the model is of an S9 and so is correct in having self-contained buffers.

The number of roof vents does appear to be an issue though - it looks like only 4 on the model when it should have 6, and the two gas lamp tops also appear to be missing. As far as I can find in all the main GWR book sources, inc the GWRJ journal article on these Bloaters, there’s no indication that these vans had their gas lighting removed, at least not in GWR service. I’m hoping the picture EFE released is just not very clear and that the actual model has the requisite number of roof vents and the gas lamp tops.

I posted a prototype pic further up of the very van EFE are modelling in shirt button livery - it’s not so clear on the HMRS web copy I linked to, but it’s zoomed in and much clearer in the GWRJ article and the six vents and two gas lap tops are clearly visible.

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3